PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon Siege II MP Beta at Fileplanet

BioHazZarD
05-06-05, 11:09 AM
enjoy all you subscribers you can now try out Dungeon Siege II

http://www.fileplanet.com/betacenter/dungeonsiege2/signup/

Clay
05-06-05, 11:53 AM
I'm really interested in hearing feedback from those of you that give this a spin. I loved Dungeon Siege and went through most of the game with a buddy of mine...played way into early morning a lot.

|MaguS|
05-06-05, 12:00 PM
It feels almost identical to the original... and looks the part aswell. Graphics look really dated...

Clay
05-06-05, 12:02 PM
Crap, that's what I'd read on a preview and was hoping it had changed for the better since then. The "supposed" in-game footage they showed over a year ago seems to have been BS because it looked amazing.

superklye
05-06-05, 12:07 PM
Crap, that's what I'd read on a preview and was hoping it had changed for the better since then. The "supposed" in-game footage they showed over a year ago seems to have been BS because it looked amazing.
Yeah, that game looked ridiculously amazing when I saw screens. I was going to DL the beta, but eff it now. I've still got a bunch of work to do on a project due in 2 hours, but I woudl consider putting that off if the game was as pretty as it was in those screens. :)

Clay
05-06-05, 12:09 PM
Yeah, that game looked ridiculously amazing when I saw screens. I was going to DL the beta, but eff it now. I've still got a bunch of work to do on a project due in 2 hours, but I woudl consider putting that off if the game was as pretty as it was in those screens. :)
Yeah and the "in game" movies they showed were just silly amazing...I am really surprised that GPG is going to float something out that isn't substantially improved on the graphics front.

superklye
05-06-05, 01:02 PM
Yeah and the "in game" movies they showed were just silly amazing...I am really surprised that GPG is going to float something out that isn't substantially improved on the graphics front.
I'm really surpised, too...and now I'm highly, highly disappointed. If the graphics look the same, what the hell took them so long to get the game out?

|MaguS|
05-06-05, 01:21 PM
There not the same but not that big of an improvement, certainly doesn't look like a game releasing in 2005... more like 2003.

Brimstone7
05-06-05, 05:14 PM
I almost canceled my download after reading this thread but I'm very glad that I didn't. The graphics, while not amazing, are definately very good and the presentation is top-notch. Once you get over the fact that this isn't the most visually amazing game ever it's actually a ton of fun. They took the original Dungeon Siege (a good, but not great, game in my book) and added a ton of depth. The new character skills are great and combat is definately a lot more fun. The biggest problem I had with Dungeon Siege 1 is that the game was almost entirely linear; you never even went back to the same town twice. This seems to be fixed in this new game making it play more like Diablo II than the original DS.

If you guys were holding out based upon graphics alone, you should definately bite the bullet and download the ~2GB file and check it out.

Clay
05-06-05, 05:23 PM
I almost canceled my download after reading this thread but I'm very glad that I didn't. The graphics, while not amazing, are definately very good and the presentation is top-notch. Once you get over the fact that this isn't the most visually amazing game ever it's actually a ton of fun. They took the original Dungeon Siege (a good, but not great, game in my book) and added a ton of depth. The new character skills are great and combat is definately a lot more fun. The biggest problem I had with Dungeon Siege 1 is that the game was almost entirely linear; you never even went back to the same town twice. This seems to be fixed in this new game making it play more like Diablo II than the original DS.

If you guys were holding out based upon graphics alone, you should definately bite the bullet and download the ~2GB file and check it out.
Thanks for the info! I'm not all about the graphics, it would be nice to see more improvement but gameplay is what keeps you hooked. I've got some hope now after reading your thoughts. Very cool. :thumbsup: I don't have a FP account so I'll just have to wait for retail I suppose. Just as well since I bought Guild Wars today at lunch. :D

Megasaxon
05-07-05, 03:37 AM
I'm going to go the other way here, i reckon they've turned a good game, into over-complicated rubbish :/

After playing Guild Wars, DSII, just doesn't cut it. It looks pretty reasonable, but IMO at least doesn't play terribly well at all.

I'm not realy sure what it is exactly, but the whole package just, doesnt seem fun at all, and im not really sure why either, it just doesnt.

Maybe it's just because i'm in a Guild Wars mindset, or something.

nrdstrm
05-07-05, 04:39 AM
Umm...Guild Wars is an MMORPG...and DSII is not...I don't think you can equate the two...but I could be wrong...I downloaded the client and got my key yesterday, but I just did it for someone at work. They are a big DS fan so I got it for them...I can't leave EQ2 until DDO or Vanguard beta's are out...I'm an MMORPG guy :)
Nrdstrm

|MaguS|
05-07-05, 07:05 AM
GW is NOT a MMORPG, its an Online Diablo Clone... DSII is the same thing just with a single player option.

nrdstrm
05-07-05, 05:03 PM
From the GW website FAQ :
Like existing MMOs, Guild Wars is played entirely online in a secure hosted environment. Thousands of players inhabit the same virtual world. Players can meet new friends in gathering places like towns and outposts where they form parties and go questing with them. Unlike many MMOs, when players form a party and embark upon a quest in Guild Wars, they get their own private copy of the area where the quest takes place.

So lots of people in one place, then go off to instances. This is being done already in SWG, EQ2, WOW, etc...Maybe more content is Instanced, but it's still an MMORPG...I'm willing to be schooled on this, but I mean "Thousands of players inhabit the same virtual world" sure sounds like a Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game...
Nrdstrm

|MaguS|
05-08-05, 07:12 AM
From the GW website FAQ :
Like existing MMOs, Guild Wars is played entirely online in a secure hosted environment. Thousands of players inhabit the same virtual world. Players can meet new friends in gathering places like towns and outposts where they form parties and go questing with them. Unlike many MMOs, when players form a party and embark upon a quest in Guild Wars, they get their own private copy of the area where the quest takes place.

So lots of people in one place, then go off to instances. This is being done already in SWG, EQ2, WOW, etc...Maybe more content is Instanced, but it's still an MMORPG...I'm willing to be schooled on this, but I mean "Thousands of players inhabit the same virtual world" sure sounds like a Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game...
Nrdstrm

The entire game of GW is instanced, not just a single area... There is no wandering around... no over world... no large world to explore. Towns are nothing more the lobbies with a cap on them, once the cap is hit the a new town instance is created... no MMORPG does this with towns. Thousands of players in GW means that they all can connect to each other through match finding and a tell system, Diablo can say the same thing but in GW 200+ people cannot meet up... 50+ cannot go into the same mission at the same time, you will never encounter random people on a mission. The only people you encounter are the ones that are invited into the mission.

In short, Guild Wars is nothing more then Diablo 2 with an ingame chat room (towns) and no offline single-player experiance, but it is NOT a MMORPG.