PDA

View Full Version : Getting a new PC

Jacobjac123
05-06-05, 07:27 PM
Custom specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon FX-55 (64-Bit)

Motherboard: Abit AN8-F Fatal1ty

RAM: 2x- Corsair TWINX1024-3200XLPRO (making 2Gb RAM)

Cooling: Corsair COOL Water Cooling

Power: Thermaltake 480W ATX Silent w Control panel & PFC

Video: 2x- Nvidia GeForce 6800 Ultra running through SLI

Sound: Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum

Speakers: Creative Gigaworks S750 7.1 THX

Optical 1: Sony 16x DL DVD Burner

Optical 2: Sony 52x32x52x16 CR-RW/DVD ROM

Storage: 2x- 160GB Serial ATA 150Mbps 7200rpm HDD 8Mb Cache w/NCQ IN RAID 0

Display: ViewSonic VX924 19-inch 4ms TFT LCD

Case: Antec P160 with side panel & temperature gauges

Input: Microsoft Elite Bluetooth Keyboard

What do you think?

Pandora's Box
05-06-05, 07:50 PM
absolutely must go with pc power and cooling for sli.

Pandora's Box
05-06-05, 07:54 PM
also the abit motherboard isnt the best choice for sli. go with either msi k8n neo4 platinum sli or asus a8n sli deluxe.

zoomy942
05-06-05, 09:06 PM
soundblasters are over-rated. save a few bucks :)

Jacobjac123
05-06-05, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

Anything else?

Basically, I'm looking for the best system money can buy.

Viral
05-06-05, 10:47 PM
Yeah, better PSU, and also, if you want 2GB of RAM, don't go with 512MBx4 (which that is). Look for some good 1GB sticks. Especially with a non Venice/san diego chip (FX-55 is an older 130nm chip) as it will have to use a 2T command rate. :(

Roliath
05-06-05, 11:07 PM
Custom specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon FX-55 (64-Bit)

Motherboard: Abit AN8-F Fatal1ty

RAM: 2x- Corsair TWINX1024-3200XLPRO (making 2Gb RAM)

Cooling: Corsair COOL Water Cooling

Power: Thermaltake 480W ATX Silent w Control panel & PFC

Video: 2x- Nvidia GeForce 6800 Ultra running through SLI

Sound: Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum

Speakers: Creative Gigaworks S750 7.1 THX

Optical 1: Sony 16x DL DVD Burner

Optical 2: Sony 52x32x52x16 CR-RW/DVD ROM

Storage: 2x- 160GB Serial ATA 150Mbps 7200rpm HDD 8Mb Cache w/NCQ IN RAID 0

Display: ViewSonic VX924 19-inch 4ms TFT LCD

Case: Antec P160 with side panel & temperature gauges

Input: Microsoft Elite Bluetooth Keyboard

What do you think?

-I'd go with a different mobo, the Fatality one seems like a joke to me.I'd go with the DFI or MSI mobo.
-If your gonna be gaming i'd stray away from wireless KB's and mice (other may disagree with me here) I'd go with a Saitek KB, and an MX518
-Diff. go with a PC Power and Cooling 510
and if your going to using 4x512 it will have to run at 2T, which you don't want. If you absolutely must go with 2gigs, get a pair of 1gig modules with some tight timings and 1T command rate.
-And I really see no reason in getting two optical drives. One DVD+/-RW will suffice in my opinion. Again this is just my personal perference.

saturnotaku
05-06-05, 11:10 PM
Spending a lot of money doesn't the best system make. Here are ways you can cut corners, add to others and still have a great system.

1) Ditch the FX processor in favor of a 4000+. As I've stated in previous threads, it's 95% of what the FX is at slightly more than 50% of the price.

2) As others have said, the Abit board isn't the best choice. The Neo4 Platinum is my favorite and it costs less. If you want to modify 2 video cards with an NV5 silencer or a third-party cooler, the Asus board is a better choice as there is more clearance between the two PCI-Express slots.

3) 2 GB of RAM should be done with 2x1 GB sticks. 4x512, even with the newer processors is asking for trouble and/or slower performance. Use the money saved from the CPU to go this route. OCZ has some solid, low latency 1 GB sticks available.

4) That power supply isn't going to be enough. The PC Power and Cooling SLI unit would be your best choice. It's more expensive, but you should never, ever compromise in this department.

5) Audigy 2 ZS Platinum is overkill. If you want an external PCI card, the regular A2 ZS will work just fine, or you could even use the onboard audio of your motherboard - an SB Live 24-bit on the Neo4 or the Realtek ALC850 on the A8N-SLI. Both chipsets are extremely capable.

6) Sony optical drives are overpriced and overrated. A lot of them are just re-badged Lite-Ons. Stick to Lite-On, NEC or LG for your optical drives.

7) For hard disks, you may be better served going with a pair of 74 GB Western Digital Raptors in RAID-0 for your Windows installation and games, then have a high-capacity drive (250-300 GB) on the outside to serve as media and backup storage.

8) The 4 ms LCD isn't necessary as there was an article linked in this forums (to Tom's IIRC) that shows 4 ms really isn't. There are cheaper 8-12 ms LCDs out there that can do the job just as well. Hell, since you're going to be running dual 6800 Ultra cards, having an LCD that limits you to 1280x1024 wouldn't make any sense. Pick up a Dell 2005 or 2405 for native 1600x1200/1280 goodness. Dell eventually will have another set of coupons available where you could get either one of these monitors for $450 or less.

9) If you intend to game, Bluetooth = teh suck. Get something corded, or if you want wireless, get a Logitech MX.

Jacobjac123
05-06-05, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

I've found them usefull and interesting.. However..

What RAM would you recommend then?

And excuse the ignorance, but what exactly do you mean by the "The PC Power and Cooling SLI unit"

Also:
"For hard disks, you may be better served going with a pair of 74 GB Western Digital Raptors in RAID-0 for your Windows installation and games, then have a high-capacity drive (250-300 GB) on the outside to serve as media and backup storage."

This is what I was originally going to do, however, a mate who built his own PC advised me against this. He said to get that segate barracuda because it's new, it has NCQ, and in reviews he showed me, it outperformed the older raptors, and the seagate's are cheaper and give you more space. Again, whatever is REALLY going to give me the fastest speeds and best performance.

Feel free to make any other changes. As I mentioned.. all the power I can get.

saturnotaku
05-06-05, 11:27 PM
What RAM would you recommend then?

I do believe I just answered that.

And excuse the ignorance, but what exactly do you mean by the "The PC Power and Cooling SLI unit"

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/power_supplies/highperformance/turbocools/510/index.htm

Jacobjac123
05-06-05, 11:33 PM
I am in Australia so keep in mind I may not have access to -everything- you might list.

http://umart.net/au/index.php is the kind of things I can get my hands on.

With the video cards, I plan to buy two 6800 gt's and softmod/OC them to 6800 Ultra. Another thing that was recommended to me.