PDA

View Full Version : Well I've learned a valuable lesson about poor airflow.

Pages : [1] 2 3

ChrisRay
05-07-05, 01:19 AM
Tempatures have really started to rise here in Tulsa and its starting to affect PC tempatures as well. So I was monitoring the SLI setup. And it reached 103C on primarily GPU ((Not artifacts or anything and it ran like that for over 4 hours of EQ 2 without a hitch)) secondary GPU was 91C. But I was not satisfied with my tempatures. Was idling at 74C and 67C.

In my case I have a fan that "supposively" blows air in from the front of the case and over the hard drives. However I dont think its been bringing in any cool air at all as the air was extremely warm. And the air was pushing out from my hard drives and into the GPU areas. So I decided to shut that off that an fan my GPU load in EQ 2 dropped to 86C and 81C secondary. And idles down to 64C primary and 59C secondary. I'm actually really surprised that one fan that I thought was helping was making things worse. I always sit there and boggle "Man these temps dont seem right.. I have a good cooling"

Apparently not.. either way its impressive to see just how much heat these GPUS can take and still trot along dandy.

Sazar
05-07-05, 02:52 AM
Damn, those are high temps.

Keep experimentng, you never know, might come up wiht a better solution.

Muppet
05-07-05, 05:09 AM
Tempatures have really started to rise here in Tulsa and its starting to affect PC tempatures as well. So I was monitoring the SLI setup. And it reached 103C on primarily GPU ((Not artifacts or anything and it ran like that for over 4 hours of EQ 2 without a hitch)) secondary GPU was 91C. But I was not satisfied with my tempatures. Was idling at 74C and 67C.

In my case I have a fan that "supposively" blows air in from the front of the case and over the hard drives. However I dont think its been bringing in any cool air at all as the air was extremely warm. And the air was pushing out from my hard drives and into the GPU areas. So I decided to shut that off that an fan my GPU load in EQ 2 dropped to 86C and 81C secondary. And idles down to 64C primary and 59C secondary. I'm actually really surprised that one fan that I thought was helping was making things worse. I always sit there and boggle "Man these temps dont seem right.. I have a good cooling"

Apparently not.. either way its impressive to see just how much heat these GPUS can take and still trot along dandy.
Man you need some serious air conditioning in you house

Son Goku
05-07-05, 05:12 AM
How warm is your house/appartment, etc?

In any case, the temps you're reporting, are way higher then anything I would feel the least bit comfortable with. Not sure what the manufacturer rates the chip to run at, but I'm fairly certain it is < 104 C...

In the meantime, if it helps, try just opening the case (no cover might be better for now) so long as you don't have pets who might get in there or something. A room fan (not a comp one, but one of those decent size house fans) might help the situation until things improve...

I'm assuming the A/C in your house works. Or does it?

ChrisRay
05-07-05, 07:05 AM
My room temps are 80F, I cant afford to run my A/C at 70F all day long. The GPU loads are back down to 90C though with a high room tempature. I think you guys are over reacting about the tempatures. I have seen so many others with similar load temps in the 90's as well and even know some people who load in the 100C here. But they keep quiet for some reason. From the people I have spoken too. The tempatures listed in the control panel for threshold are fairly accurate believe it or not.

|MaguS|
05-07-05, 07:08 AM
CR what I did to fix the warm air push from the front due to the HD's was add a side fan (120mm), it brings in cool air directly above the videocard and over my CPU. My card idles at 49C now :)

ChrisRay
05-07-05, 07:15 AM
*nods* I may try that. I want to do it. But I really cant find a way to reliably mount it. Other than drilling a hole in my case. And thats not really viaible. Due to the way my case is designed I'd need a 7k RPM fan to push enough air. I need to figure out a way to mount a fan closer to the cards.

After unplugging that fan thought the highest load I have seen is 91C. I cant believe how hot that little fan was making my cards.

Pandora's Box
05-07-05, 08:42 AM
http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=15&code=016

might work.

you can buy it here:

http://www.frozencpu.com/cac-03.html

ChrisRay
05-07-05, 09:07 AM
That does look like it might work. Hmm not terribly expensive either.

SH64
05-07-05, 09:38 AM
Interesting find .. whats that case you are using ?? (so we can avoid it next time) ..

Rollo
05-07-05, 09:40 AM
Interesting find .. whats that case you are using ?? (so we can avoid it next time) ..

Chris- you should buy Wshadows bitchin' Xaser III case from FS/FT. If you're going to keep your house, and the ambient temp in your case is going to be higher, you need all the help you can get. :afro:

ChrisRay
05-07-05, 10:01 AM

I dont think its the cases fault. It's a well designed case. I just probably need to readjust the airflow. The fan was blowing over my hard drivers ((both my cases have the fan there) and just pushing hot air over the GPU.

SH64
05-07-05, 10:15 AM
I dont think its the cases fault. It's a well designed case. I just probably need to readjust the airflow. The fan was blowing over my hard drivers ((both my cases have the fan there) and just pushing hot air over the GPU.

Well if the fan is placed in the level of the first GPU , then its a designing fault .. because in my Tt LanFire case , there is a fan that blows air to the HDDs (in the right case plate) but its above the level of the AGP slot , so no hot air touching other hardware.

so either above or below the GPUs level should be great .. esp when considering SLI setup.

gram_vaz
05-07-05, 10:21 AM
water cool!!!!!!

Inglo
05-07-05, 10:37 AM
My solution for when it gets really hot in the middle of the day is to go down to the beach instead of playing computer games.

guybo
05-07-05, 10:58 AM
Your PC is going to die prematurely. Those temps may not be causing artifacting, but will shorten the life of your hardware and you have no margin for error- one hot day will fry your system.

Do not OC. Get those temps down.

H-street
05-07-05, 12:38 PM
just curious..

what brand of 6800GT's are they?

the EVGA 6800GT's i wouldnt' be suprised at all to see running that hot.. their HSF is pretty bad..

jAkUp
05-07-05, 12:58 PM
Get some VGA Silencers :) That should keep those puppies cool ;) In Southern California it gets really hot in the summer... sometimes I had to bump my 6800 Ultra AGP back a few notches on the OC scale... never had a problem at stock though.

mustrum
05-07-05, 01:21 PM
water cool!!!!!!
I second that. If you don't switch now you wont ever. If you switch to a wc setup you'd load below your idle temps. ;)
(Actual ones not the high ones.)

Knot3D
05-07-05, 01:39 PM
Those were some friggin' high temps indeed.

I have never seen my 6800GT go beyond 59C. Not during gaming nor long hours of 3D work.

You mentioned that fan over the harddisks... My Antec Sonata has one low rpm 120 mm fan behind the HD. I dunno, maybe it would bring down gpu temps even more but I'm quite happy about the setup now with idle 45 - 48 and load 59.

I guess the Gainward dual fan cooler does a pretty good job :cool:

nVidiaGuru
05-07-05, 02:11 PM
whoever designed the stock cooler for these cards is an idiot(refering to nvidia's 6800 refrence design), why the hell did they decide to dump the hot air in the middle of the case blowing the opposite direction? What i did was reverse the airflow in my entire case so now cold air comes in the back and leaves the front. My CPU temps dropped 2c case temps dropped ~4-5c and my gpu temp dropped nearly 10c and idles at 50-51...and my room is usualy 80f too

MikeC
05-07-05, 04:46 PM
This $99 product keeps my computer room comfortable on hot summer days :)

http://www.fedders.com/catalog/appliances/img/closeup_fed_x_1.jpg

SH64
05-07-05, 05:00 PM
This $99 product keeps my computer room comfortable on hot summer days :)

http://www.fedders.com/catalog/appliances/img/closeup_fed_x_1.jpg

Can you hook me up with a link for more info on it ?
this sounds a good idea besides the water/liquid cooling setup.

i have an A/C in my room but the problem if i use it the room become cooler that i can take & if i switch it off , it becomes hotter for the PCs :|

jAkUp
05-07-05, 05:00 PM
I wanna put one of those inside my computer :D

Probably would create condensation though :(

grimreefer
05-07-05, 06:11 PM
zalman vf700 works wonders!
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch.hmx?SCriteria=BA30056&CartID=done&nextloc=