PDA

View Full Version : Numerous PNY 6800GT issues, should I RMA?

liverkick
05-07-05, 03:15 AM
Quickie Spec

A64 3500+ "Venice core" @ stock
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum MB
PNY Verto 6800 GT @ stock (latest drivers)
512x2 DDR400
160gb Seagate SATA HDD
DVD burner
470w Pc Power & Cooling PSU
Thermaltake Tsunami case

Ive had several issues with this card but before I try and go the RMA route I just want to double check and get some opinions on what Ive experienced.

The first potential problem has to do with the fan and the heat. My idle temp is roughly 57-58c. At load its routinely in the 78-85c range according to Riva Tuner. I know these cards run hot but is this abnormal? FWIW my case has two 120mm fans and one 90mm fan with good ventilation and my cpu is cooled with an XP-90 hsf. Ambient temp in the case is around 27c according to Everest.

As for the fan on the card itself it acts a bit funny. When I first start the system up to POST it is incredibly loud as if its going twice its normal speed. Once XP loads up it settles down to normal db levels. But when I put my hand under the fan it doesnt seem to spit out much air either way. Is it normal for the stock fan to be really loud on start up? And should there be a lot of air being moved by the stock fan?

Now my performance issues. 3dMark05 crashes every time. Usually 4 seconds into the first test, or it'll get to the third test and crash. Lots of skipping and pausing before it finally locks up for good. Ive tried the last three drivers and I get the same deal. Does this sound like a heat issue? I cant really confirm seeing any artifacts to this point. 3dmark03 went by fine and gave me about a 11100 score.

As far as games Ive only been able to test Far Cry and HL2 so far. The biggest oddity of all happens in Far Cry. When I set image quality in the Nvidia control panel to "High Quality" I get somewhere between 15-20 drop in frames compared to the "Quality" setting. I use a 1280x1200 resolution with all very high settings, AAx2, AFx8. My frames are decent, usually in the 50-75 range with the occassional dip into the 30-40s on "Quality" IQ. But "High Quality" frequently sends the tougher parts into the dreaded 20 and low 30 zone. The silky smooth 60+ fps sections often get knocked down to 45 as well.

What exactly is the difference between High Quality and Quality supposed to be, and should it have such a big impact on performance? I honestly cant tell the difference graphically speaking. So the frame drop is disconcerting.

My performance on the HardwareOC bench tool for Far Cry is also very up and down. Regulator demo did about 54fps average. But the card barely did above 20fps on the River timedemo.

HL2 funnily enough performs quite well from what Ive seen in the first few levels (perhaps I havent gotten to the stressful parts yet, first time playing the game). The High Quality IQ setting only drops a few frames here and there and I rarely get a dip below 35fps @ 1280 x 1200. Not sure what to make of this yet.

Does it sound like I should RMA? Any suggestions/questions otherwise? Just built this rig and Im dying to get the performance for the buck I put into it so any feedback is appreciated.

ChrisRay
05-07-05, 03:42 AM
All your fan and heat issues are completely normal.

sandeep
05-07-05, 05:00 AM
Mayeb flash the BIOS of the card to a new one....a bit of looking around will set you a good start...any 6800GT BIOS are compatible with any brand so long as they are stock BIOS.

NemesisChild
05-07-05, 07:15 PM
Your heats (idle and load) are completely normal.
What kind of PSU are you operating?
It sounds to me that you may have some power related issues!
You will need at least 18 amps on a dedicated +12v rail to adequately run your GT.
I would not suggest flashing the bios unless you know exactly what you're doing.

Definitely expect to take a performance hit when you set it to High Quality.
I run both of my GT's in Quality mode, giving me the best blend of IQ & performance.

Good luck.......

liverkick
05-08-05, 01:38 AM
Its a PC Power and Cooling 470 w (26 A on the 12V rail). Among the cleanest rated PSUs out there fwiw.

Thats good to know about the quality setting, I honestly cant tell the difference visually. I was just concerned about the performance drop, seemed rather drastic.

Nemesis do you own Far Cry? If so could you give me an idea as to what framerates you have gotten? Are drops into the 40's frequent during firefights with AA and AF on? Whats got me confused is on sections where I get 35-45 fps with AAx2 @ 1280x1024 I dont see much improvement with AA off @ 1024x768. You'd think the GT would be able to handle anything Far Cry could throw at it with a non AA'd 1024x768 resolution.

The 3Dmark05 crash is really bugging me as well. Cant figure it out.

NemesisChild
05-08-05, 01:30 PM
Its a PC Power and Cooling 470 w (26 A on the 12V rail). Among the cleanest rated PSUs out there fwiw.

Thats good to know about the quality setting, I honestly cant tell the difference visually. I was just concerned about the performance drop, seemed rather drastic.

Nemesis do you own Far Cry? If so could you give me an idea as to what framerates you have gotten? Are drops into the 40's frequent during firefights with AA and AF on? Whats got me confused is on sections where I get 35-45 fps with AAx2 @ 1280x1024 I dont see much improvement with AA off @ 1024x768. You'd think the GT would be able to handle anything Far Cry could throw at it with a non AA'd 1024x768 resolution.

The 3Dmark05 crash is really bugging me as well. Cant figure it out.

Sorry, I don't play Far Cry.
Also, I don't run 3Dmark05 as well, so I can't help you here.