PDA

View Full Version : Unlocking the extra pipes on an A4 6200...possible?

Edge
05-07-05, 04:52 PM
I was just wondering, has there been any word on if the extra pipelines on an A4 core, 6200 card will eventually be capable of being unlocked? From what I understand, all the A1, A2, and A3 cores are fully unlockable, but it seems some extra protection was put onto the A4 cores. So is any information availible as to whether these cores are hard locked and will never be useable, or would it be possible to soft mod them through a future method like how recent 6800nu cards were?

Subtestube
05-07-05, 05:19 PM
As I recall, Unwinder said it was extremely unlikely that it would ever happen.

ba88
07-14-05, 02:37 PM
How can I tell if my 6200 is unlockable or not?

I got a pny 6200 and under additional information it says this

product: nv43 Board - p277h4
version: Chip Rev

ba88
07-14-05, 05:07 PM
No one knows?

I figure some one must know on a site dedicated to Nvidia graphics cards.

Subtestube
07-14-05, 06:07 PM
Well, why don't you try? Use Rivatuner to attempt to unlock the locked pipes, and see if it works. It's an NV43 so you certainly do have a locked Pixel Quad, but it's possible that it's of a revision that prevents unlocking. In other words, just try it out.

saturnotaku
07-14-05, 06:11 PM
No one knows?

I figure some one must know on a site dedicated to Nvidia graphics cards.

Patience, grasshopper. Bumping a thread after three hours is a :nono:

Or you could do as the post above this suggested and try it yourself.

ba88
07-14-05, 06:29 PM
I am sorry for being impatient. :o

So how exactly do you do this and is it possible to ruin it if some thing doesn't work because I don't want to mess some thing up, I just got it.

Thanks in advance. :)

Subtestube
07-14-05, 06:48 PM
Any time you operate something outside it's manufacturing parameters, there's a chance you'll damage it. That said, the chances of doing permanent damage here are pretty negligable - I've never seen any reports of permanent damage from pipe unlocking, but that doesn't mean there's no chance of it. If the disabled pixel quad is damaged you may get erratic performance from Windows - if this occurs, simply go into safe mode and disable NVStrap. In any case, instructions on how to do this - I can't be bothered writing them out, so I'll see if I can find a thread with them.

Ah , here we go - there are instructions on how to do it at the following page:
http://firingsquad.com/hardware/geforce_6800_unlocking/page3.asp
Note that that's for the 6800 series, but the procedure is the same. Good luck!

JamesDax
07-14-05, 07:13 PM
My understanding that the A4 NV43 and all NV44a chips can't be unlocked.

ba88
07-14-05, 07:48 PM
Hey man thanks. It worked. I picked up 10fps in AquaMark3. :clap:

I can't beleive how good of a deal I got. Paid $73 bucks for it on Newegg and I get a great pickup in system performance. :)

JamesDax
07-15-05, 10:26 AM
Hey man thanks. It worked. I picked up 10fps in AquaMark3. :clap:

I can't beleive how good of a deal I got. Paid $73 bucks for it on Newegg and I get a great pickup in system performance. :)

Congrats man. I keep telling people that if they can find a NV43 6200 AGP what a great buy it is. I've been loving mine for 3 months now.

ba88
07-16-05, 08:40 AM
I just wanted to thank you guys again for helping me out. :D :)

ricercar
07-16-05, 01:41 PM
Hey I want to open more pipes in my 6800U. If I bump the thread in three hours, do you think I can get more than 16 pipes?

Shion Uzuki
07-16-05, 01:45 PM
Hmm. Just curious. 6200 non-TD is a 6600 with 4 pipes locked right? So in other words I'd imagine what they did was NV chose potentially borken (4 of the pipes) core right? So its still a risk of not getting the extra pipe when purchasing a 6200 hopeing for 8 pipes.

But if it works, wow, what a great deal it'd be, and if the memory has fast response time, you can OC the hell out of it and practically get a 6600 (or even GT if your memory can handle fast speed)

Hmm. Too bad they don't have a PCIe version lol. Or else I'll build a 64bit Sempron + Asus A8N-E (754 w/PCIe) + 6200, and u'd get a very decent system for real cheap! Too bad asus don't make their VIdeo Suite line anymore. If they have a 6200 VS with dual dvi. *droll*

Shion Uzuki
07-16-05, 01:47 PM
Hey I want to open more pipes in my 6800U. If I bump the thread in three hours, do you think I can get more than 16 pipes?

lol chill man, i don't think he really intended it. i mean... its something exciting to play with after all :D

ricercar
07-16-05, 02:28 PM
Yeah, it was a joke. I wish I could open more pipes.

ba88
07-17-05, 06:03 PM
lol chill man, i don't think he really intended it. i mean... its something exciting to play with after all :D

Yeah I didn't mean to seem so impatient. The forum I'm regular at has responses much faster but the few people there that would know haven't been around for a few days so I came here. Thanks for the help again guys it is really appreciated. :)

lduguay
07-18-05, 03:47 PM
Hmm. Just curious. 6200 non-TD is a 6600 with 4 pipes locked right? So in other words I'd imagine what they did was NV chose potentially borken (4 of the pipes) core right? So its still a risk of not getting the extra pipe when purchasing a 6200 hopeing for 8 pipes.

But if it works, wow, what a great deal it'd be, and if the memory has fast response time, you can OC the hell out of it and practically get a 6600 (or even GT if your memory can handle fast speed)

Hmm. Too bad they don't have a PCIe version lol. Or else I'll build a 64bit Sempron + Asus A8N-E (754 w/PCIe) + 6200, and u'd get a very decent system for real cheap! Too bad asus don't make their VIdeo Suite line anymore. If they have a 6200 VS with dual dvi. *droll*

EVGA has 9 different models for the 6200 with 5 PCIe version.
L:D