PDA

View Full Version : SLI Trouble Shooting!

Digital_Trans
05-07-05, 09:03 PM
I Just recently I upgraded to a MSI K8N Noe4 Platinum SLI motherboard.
I was having fun by at first running one PCI-E eVGA 6800 ultra graphics card in non-SLI mode. Then I purchased a second eVGA 6800 Ultra PCI-E card to use in SLI mode. I installed Nividia's Forceware Driver v71.89
The problem came about when I tryed running in SLI mode. I couldn't, It said the following "You must remove any graphics cards that are not compatible with NVIDIA Scalable Link Interface (SLI) technology before you can enable SLI." So I called MSI tech support and they told me it could be a bad video card or the motherboard could be bad. While I was on the phone with MSI...we went into the bios setting...and all the settings were really auto detect. Nothing needed to inable or disable so that was out of the question. Secondly, I then called eVGA tech support to get advice and they told me it could very well be the motherboard or one of the video cards. I've already flashed the cards to the newest bios version. Plus I even flashed my MSI Motherboard to the most current bios version. I've also reconfigured my power supply setup for SLI running PCI-E convertors fully plugged in to the power source running on their own power supply cable. I've tryed everything!!! Wish I knew what the problem was? Would anyone know? Please help......thank you so much!

System specs:

(600Watt) Mad Dog Multi-Media power supply Model: SurePower BTX/ATX
AMD Athlon 3400+ 2.2GHz 939
2GB of PC3200/400MHz Ram
Two eVGA 6800 Ultra PCI -Express 256MB-GDDR3
MSI K8N Noe4 Platinum SLI motherboard
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Edition
450 Combined HDD-8MB Cache
21.3" Digital_LCD (Black)

PSYCHODAD
05-07-05, 09:18 PM
I had the same error message when I first setup my SLI system. It was fixed after I copied the bios from the most recent card bios to the other pci-e card.

Not really sure why your having this problem. You might check this website and see if your using the correct bios for your cards.

http://www.mvktech.net/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=26&func=selectfolder&filecatid=51

jAkUp
05-07-05, 09:50 PM
Yup, the newer card may have had a more recent BIOS version, that is not compatible with the previous card.

Digital_Trans
05-07-05, 09:51 PM
I had the same error message when I first setup my SLI system. It was fixed after I copied the bios from the most recent card bios to the other pci-e card.

Not really sure why your having this problem. You might check this website and see if your using the correct bios for your cards.

http://www.mvktech.net/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=26&func=selectfolder&filecatid=51

Yes, both bios versions are the same.
Chipset : NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra
Version : 5.40.02.36.04
I even went the extra mile of making sure of that. eVGA sent me the most recent bios version which is infact, version: 5.40.02.36.04
So, I'm lost......Gonna RMA the MSI Motherboard first and get a full refund
Secondly, I hope now since I ordered the ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe it will cure the problems with SLi compatibility. If this doesn't resolve this issue, I will then RMA both eVGA 6800 Ultras for brand new ones. My time, my money = Enjoyment!!!! :D But, at the moment I'm 200% Stress out that it's not working correctly. :thumbdwn:

Digital_Trans
05-07-05, 09:52 PM
Yup, the newer card may have had a more recent BIOS version

Bios versions are the same now and I'm still having the same problem! :confused:

SH64
05-08-05, 09:54 AM
Just for checking , did you change the mobo jumpers/switch to SLI setting ?

newls1
05-08-05, 10:08 AM
First off, I cant belive you switched from the MSI NEO4 SLI, to the the ASUS SLI board! I started with the ASUS SLI board, and it TOTALLY SUCKED. I now use the MSI SLI board, and WHAT A BIG DIFFERENCE! Now what im going to say is just like the person im quoting said, DID you "FLIP OVER" the SLI selector card thats on the Motherboard to SLI configuration? If not, go back and use the MSI board, switch the selector card to SLI, and get your money back for that ASUS board :p

Digital_Trans
05-08-05, 10:42 AM

The MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum / SLI Motherboard only has one jumper on it.
which is the "FLIP OVER" the SLI selector card and I tryed that both ways
without any positive result on getting SLI to inable in Windows XP Pro.
If you know of another jumper setting on this board or in the bios please me know...thank you!

Digital_Trans
05-08-05, 10:45 AM
First off, I cant belive you switched from the MSI NEO4 SLI, to the the ASUS SLI board! I started with the ASUS SLI board, and it TOTALLY SUCKED. I now use the MSI SLI board, and WHAT A BIG DIFFERENCE! Now what im going to say is just like the person im quoting said, DID you "FLIP OVER" the SLI selector card thats on the Motherboard to SLI configuration? If not, go back and use the MSI board, switch the selector card to SLI, and get your money back for that ASUS board :p

The MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum / SLI Motherboard only has one jumper on it.
which is the "FLIP OVER" the SLI selector card and I tryed that both ways
without any positive result on getting SLI to inable in Windows XP Pro.
If you know of another jumper setting on this board or in the bios please me know...thank you!

jAkUp
05-08-05, 12:15 PM

Hehe, I started with the Asus board also :p

jAkUp
05-08-05, 03:59 PM
I'm using the DFI SLI board, it is fantastic.

:werd:

Digital_Trans
05-08-05, 08:58 PM
Which do you think is better for SLI?

The MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum / SLI?

-or-

The ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe?

Let the voting begin!!! :)

And I'm still stuck without SLI Technology!!! :mad:

ChrisRay
05-08-05, 09:28 PM
The asus board is fine if you run at stock and better for keeping a cooler card tempature. Only other SLI board I've used is a gigabyte but they all have one thing the asus doesnt. Poor spacing between the GPUs.

jAkUp
05-08-05, 09:57 PM
Which do you think is better for SLI?

The MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum / SLI?

-or-

The ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe?

Let the voting begin!!! :)

And I'm still stuck without SLI Technology!!! :mad:

Without a doubt the MSI is the better overall motherboard. DFI is the better out of the two for OC'ing though.

H-street
05-08-05, 11:22 PM
did you flash the bios?

just because they are the same version means nothing..

flash the second card with a backup of the first..

the bioseshave to be the same bios..

my 2 eVGA 6800GT's had the same version bios but where different enough to not go into SLI..

since you bought one later there was probably a revision done that didn't version the bios..

you will know immediately when you make a backup of the 2 card's bioses.. the checksum will be different (if they are the same bios the checksum should be the same when you do the backup)

Digital_Trans
05-09-05, 12:33 AM
did you flash the bios?

just because they are the same version means nothing..

flash the second card with a backup of the first..

the bioseshave to be the same bios..

my 2 eVGA 6800GT's had the same version bios but where different enough to not go into SLI..

since you bought one later there was probably a revision done that didn't version the bios..

you will know immediately when you make a backup of the 2 card's bioses.. the checksum will be different (if they are the same bios the checksum should be the same when you do the backup)

As noted before, I had eVGA'S tech support Dept. e-mail me the most
recent bios version. I flashed both cards with the same bios that eVGA e-mailed...as per directed by eVGA tech support dept. The end result, No SLI inabled feature in Windows XP Pro. I wish I had an answer for this madness. :eek:

ChrisRay
05-09-05, 12:46 AM
Have you tried disconnecting the bridge chip to see if software SLI mode works?

Digital_Trans
05-09-05, 01:42 AM
Have you tried disconnecting the bridge chip to see if software SLI mode works?

Yes, I've tryed everything known to man! Help! Help! :eek: