PDA

View Full Version : Screen flashes black when surfing web

Pages : [1] 2 3

monkeydust
05-08-05, 09:39 AM
I had this problem a long time ago and it was caused by the 2d & 3d clock speeds being different. But, now they are the same and I am getting this problem again. The screen just flashes black for a second. I'm using the 71.89 drivers.

Is there a fix for this?

newls1
05-08-05, 10:59 AM
I had this problem a long time ago and it was caused by the 2d & 3d clock speeds being different. But, now they are the same and I am getting this problem again. The screen just flashes black for a second. I'm using the 71.89 drivers.

Is there a fix for this?
UH :confused: Great, another bug.......

emailthatguy
05-08-05, 04:43 PM
sounds like a java issue AGAIN

monkeydust
05-08-05, 06:01 PM
I did recently upgrade to a new version of Java. Is there something I can do?

emailthatguy
05-08-05, 06:04 PM
not that im aware of until either nvidia does a workaround for bad java code in their drivers again or sun gets their thumb out of their ass and hires some decent programmers.

monkeydust
05-08-05, 06:26 PM
Well, I just disabled Java in my Firefox options and we'll see if that fixes it.

EDIT: Nope, still does it.

mobilenvidia
05-08-05, 11:13 PM
Mine has started to do it as well but I'm on FW 76.45.
The only thing that changed for me is Flash Player and Yahoo toolbar

I've removed Yahoo toolbar, not even sure what installed it in the first place.

Will get back if this is the culprit.

PSYCHODAD
05-09-05, 02:28 AM
I had a similar thing happen on my backup system awhile back. Thought it was probably driver/monitor related somehow.

It's odd, but it quit doing it with the newest official drivers. (using the "tweaks r us" driver version)

mobilenvidia
05-09-05, 03:49 AM
It hasn't happend since I removed Yahoo toolbar, annoying feature anyway, still don't know what installed it, does Flash player come with it ?

doddsy
05-09-05, 04:30 AM
It hasn't happend since I removed Yahoo toolbar, annoying feature anyway, still don't know what installed it, does Flash player come with it ?

yahoo toolbar comes with the flash player installer. the standalone one that you might use for firefox. bl**dy nuisance.........

i too get a black flash loading..... Timo's forum page for example......the javascript box will flas black momentarily. i never thought it was driver related. using the 76.41's.......

monkeydust
05-09-05, 07:17 AM
I have found that certain pages make the screen flash black everytime. I have disabled Flash and I still get it.

This page causes it to happen everytime (when I go to it and when I press back again):
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=31&threadid=1570310&enterthread=y

EDIT: It does it when I hit that page in both Firefox and IE.

mobilenvidia
05-09-05, 02:30 PM
Just started doing it again, hadn't done it for over a day :curses:
A did do a reboot for the first time in days as well.

Monkeydust that page works fine for me, I get it every now and then, when first going to a new page, maybe just once or twice a day.

siorai
05-12-05, 02:14 PM
I've been having major problems with Java lately too. This is with the latest official drivers and any time that I install the Java runtimes, my system is screwed. I uninstall the runtimes, no problems at all.. :thumbdwn:

monkeydust
05-16-05, 06:22 AM
I installed WinXP 64 with the nForce4 betas and graphic drivers for 64bit and it does it on that drive too!

monkeydust
05-19-05, 05:48 PM
I have completely removed java from my machine and it still happens. So, that wasn't it. :(

Weird thing is that after it does it, all my text gets a little bolder, a little more anti-alliased.

JRd1st
05-19-05, 07:27 PM
Do you have ClearType on? Don't know why that would have anything to do with flashing, but the bold, antialiased thing sounds like ClearType.

monkeydust
05-19-05, 07:38 PM
Yeah, I use cleartype. I have always used it with XP.

EDIT: Whoops, I actually didn't have ClearType on. Now I do. ;)

degust
05-20-05, 07:43 PM
IMHO it is somehow connected to the video clips embedded into HTML pages (banners mostly). And yeah, i have it too (GF6800U AGP, 76.45, identical clocks for 2D/3D).

Q
05-24-05, 12:16 PM
About 6 months or so ago another guy and myself had a thread about this issue.

We were called crazy.

So I'm actually glad that more people are noticing this issue. We tried narrowing it down, but had no luck. We thought it was something between Firefox and Java...but then again who knows. We noticed that the frequency of the flashing changed if you moved your display hookup from primary to secondary (or vise versa, I forget). Go figure.

Well...hopefully now that more people notice the problem it might get solved.

Rosco[CoF]
05-28-05, 02:24 PM
I might have found a solution, perhaps. News is out that Via released a new set of 4 in 1's called the VIA HyperionPro. Release date is yesterday, May 27th. Version number is 500A

http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2

I installed these this morning and have noticed no more screen flashing while going to a Java enabled web site. If anyone is having this screen flash problem and has a Via chipset I would highly recommend installing the new VIA HyperionPro package

monkeydust
05-28-05, 05:45 PM
Well, I'm running on an nForce4 chipset so that wouldn't help me out. Still having the problems here too. :(

Rosco[CoF]
05-28-05, 05:56 PM
nuts, sorry to hear that. I have the XTreme G-76.45b drivers and after installing the new HyperionPro drivers the screen flash went away for me.

lduguay
05-30-05, 04:35 PM
Well, I'm running on an nForce4 chipset so that wouldn't help me out. Still having the problems here too. :(

I have similar h/w, and i am having the same problems. Same Dell monitors also. It blanks on Monitor 1 only, have not seen it on Monitor 2 (in NON SLI mode obviously :mad: )

L:D
2 x 512 OCZ PC3200 Platinum Rev 2
2 x Evga GeForce 6800 Ultra PCI-Express
5 x Raptor 76GB (2 x RAID 0 arrays)
2 x Dell 2001FP 20.1" LCD
OCZ Modstream 520W
Antec P-160

tardeaux
05-30-05, 10:23 PM
have you tried creating a forceware application profile for your browser? that fixed some issues i had in the past... create a profile as you would for any game for iexplore.exe, firefox.exe, mozilla.exe, etc and just disable any options in that profile (AA, AF, various filters and optimizations) you think might be a problem.

monkeydust
06-11-05, 06:21 PM
I was talking to a guy over on the NVIDIA forums that had the same problem as me. The only thing that we had in common with our systems was that we were both using LCD's. So, I figured it had to be the DVI-D interface. I have switched to analog signal and the problem has gone away.

Of course I don't want to use an analog signal on a digital LCD. Are there any DVI settings I can change that might fix this problem? I know when I was using this monitor on my old system with an ATI 9800 Pro, there was a setting in the display properties that I would check that would fix a problem with the screen occasionally booting up to no signal (problem in a similar vein as this one). Is there anything like that for NVIDIA drivers?