PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking problems

patrickjs89
05-08-05, 10:57 AM
Ok well I posted this in another section of the forums but seemingly nobody checks it, so I'll post here. I have a BFG 6800GT card, so it comes overclocked at 370/1000. I use the latest drivers for all my parts, 71.89 for video card. IT ALWAYS FREEZES on 3dmark05, always. So I decided to de-clock to standard at 350/1000 and it works fine BUT, if I clock it to 351/1000, it just locks up everytime. Why can't I overclock my card at all?

Strahd
05-09-05, 12:25 PM
To be honest, you just have a bad stroke of luck with your GPU. Overclocking your GPU is hit and miss. It sounds like your GPU is at it's max settings on the core speed, have you tried bumping up the RAM speed at all? How far can you get before you get artifacts/locks up on you.

Kickus_assius
05-09-05, 12:34 PM
Does it only lock up on 3DMark05? I think you are probably getting bad gpu contact with the heatsink. I was having this problem when I put a waterblock on my 6800GT, because the nvidia paste had hardened over time and was flaking off, so the very edge was not making good contact, so that tiny little bit overheated and made it freeze up. I just wiped off the old thermal grease they put on and added some silver thermal grease and then it worked fine. I think that voids the warranty in your case though so I would recommend an RMA. The card is supposed to be guaranteed to run 370/1000 out of the box, thus you can RMA it.

ViN86
05-09-05, 12:49 PM
if your card doesnt hit 370/1000 and remain stable, id RMA the card. BFG guarantees the card will hit those speeds, so if its unstable, then you should RMA and get a new one.

patrickjs89
05-09-05, 06:38 PM
Only one question, what does RMA stand for as I know it can conclude to taking it back and getting a new one, but what does it stand for?

Slammin
05-10-05, 01:13 AM
I wouldn't RMA it until I at least tried tightening the HSF screws. RMA stands for Return Merchandise Authorization, where you get an RMA# first, and that allows you to send the card back for a replacement. The thing is, you may not get a brand new unopened replacement, but instead, somebody's overclock abortion/abused repackaged POS. Not fair, but it happens.

Also, how is your case airflow? The BFG HSF is kind of crappy to begin with and if you have bad case airflow, you will have bad luck with that card, and most likely and replacement, even new.