PDA

View Full Version : Sound card performance increase?

Cream
05-08-05, 04:40 PM
Hi guy's I was thinking of upgrading my P.C. with a nice shiney sound card. At the moment I'm using the onboard sound on my ABIT KV8 pro. I'm happy with the 5.1 sound quality as I can't have the speakers turn up very load or the wife strarts to complain :).

I was thinking of getting the 'Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS 71 THX OEM UK' http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=137428 for 47.29. Will I see a noticable performance increase now the 5.1 is being done in hardware? Also will I hear a noticable quality increase over the onboard sound. I also only have a cheap set of speakers as there never pushed http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=159191, which I'm not planing on upgrading. I'm more looking for a framerate increase.

1337_Like_ThaT
05-08-05, 04:47 PM
Athlon 64 3.2 what??? :confused: You'd get a very very small performance increase, hardly noticable if anything. honestly you should save the upgrade until you get better speakers. You know it would be kinda like putting a supercharger inside a Geo Metro :D

Cream
05-08-05, 04:53 PM
Athlon 64 3.2 what??? :confused: You'd get a very very small performance increase, hardly noticable if anything. honestly you should save the upgrade until you get better speakers. You know it would be kinda like putting a supercharger inside a Geo Metro :D

3.2 corrected :)

thanx for the answer m8, It's just I read somewhere that some people alegadly get masive performance increases. Guess you shouldn't belive everything you read on the net ;)

LT.Schaffer
05-08-05, 06:15 PM
Well Using Onboard Sound Does More Of A Performance Hit On Your CPU...
Because Your CPU Has To Do Twice As Much Work When Your Gaming..
That's Where You'll See The Most Performance Increase[With A Sound Card] Or Decrease[If Using Onboard Sound]
You Might Not See Much Difference When Not Gaming..
But It All Depends On If You Care More About Sound Quality Or Frame Rate Ingame
AnyWay It's Totaly Up To You To Decide
Just My 2 Cents :type:

zoomy942
05-08-05, 06:28 PM
the thing is... you are getting such a high framne rate anyway, that you may lose a few but that will be too small for you to notice. i took my audigy 2 out just to see of games felt/played different. nadda. everything was as it alwasy has been.

so i agree with the earlier post. get some nice speakers

although, the only onboard audio i trust is the alc850 or the alc880. other than that, a new sound acrd may help some

newls1
05-08-05, 07:41 PM
does my onboard S.B. live 24bit, draw cycles from the CPU, like "OTHER" onboard sound chips? Im using the MSI NEO4 PLAT SLI.

saturnotaku
05-08-05, 08:27 PM
Yes.

jAkUp
05-08-05, 09:01 PM
As far as I know all onboard sound uses CPU cycles.

SLippe
05-08-05, 09:31 PM
I agree, upgrade your speakers first or at the same time. No since runnin the ZS or whatever on crappy speakers. Let 'em run!

zoomy942
05-08-05, 09:35 PM
yeah, all onboard uses cpuy cycles. but with more powerful cpu's you have a few to spare

Elderblaze
05-08-05, 10:06 PM
Im no grammer nazi or anything but I quit reading after the second sentence. Why do you type like this? It's extremly annoying.

Well Using Onboard Sound Does More Of A Performance Hit On Your CPU...
Because Your CPU Has To Do Twice As Much Work When Your Gaming..
That's Where You'll See The Most Performance Increase[With A Sound Card] Or Decrease[If Using Onboard Sound]
You Might Not See Much Difference When Not Gaming..
But It All Depends On If You Care More About Sound Quality Or Frame Rate Ingame
AnyWay It's Totaly Up To You To Decide
Just My 2 Cents :type:

superklye
05-08-05, 10:20 PM
heh

Cream
05-09-05, 06:11 PM
the thing is... you are getting such a high framne rate anyway, that you may lose a few but that will be too small for you to notice. i took my audigy 2 out just to see of games felt/played different. nadda. everything was as it alwasy has been.

so i agree with the earlier post. get some nice speakers

although, the only onboard audio i trust is the alc850 or the alc880. other than that, a new sound acrd may help some

That's just the thing, I'm not getting great frames rates, well not massive anyway. I would expect more...

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50351

mattkenn_4545
05-09-05, 08:05 PM
BTW some onboard sound is good as far as not using CPU cycles ie Soundstorm (Love my ABIT NF7-S)

egyteam
05-11-05, 08:42 AM
newls1 :

you are using the onboard card @ sampling rate 96KHz / 24 Bit or 48Khz / 16 bits ??

CaptNKILL
05-11-05, 09:30 AM
Im no grammer nazi or anything but I quit reading after the second sentence. Why do you type like this? It's extremly annoying.
The forum automatically changes all-caps words to lower case except for the first letter. He probably turned caps on and didnt realize (how, i dont know :p ).

LT.Schaffer
05-11-05, 10:47 PM
Oh sorry about that!
it's because i had just installed a game and i had to use caps because it needed a cd-key with capitals in the code
again sorry :(