PDA

View Full Version : GPUs with 512MB RAM

thanosAIAS
05-08-05, 11:30 PM
Does having more RAM on the GPU, reduces the amount of system RAM memory required by games ?

I mean if a game such as vampire the masquarade, requires more than 1 GB of RAM (eg. 1300MB) ,your VGA has 256MB and your system RAM is 1GB...

...which is better, buy a VGA with 512MB of upgrade to more system RAM ?

jAkUp
05-08-05, 11:34 PM
Does having more RAM on the GPU, reduces the amount of system RAM memory required by games ?

I mean if a game such as vampire the masquarade, requires more than 1 GB of RAM (eg. 1300MB) ,your VGA has 256MB and your system RAM is 1GB...

It depends. On games that use over 512mb of texture memory, it starts dipping into system memory. Lets use Doom3 "Ultra Quality" as an example.

256mb of Video ram is not enough for "Ultra Quality" when the game goes to grab more texture/lightning memory, there is none left. It grabs the next fastest ram (system ram, which is much slower than video ram) if it clears all your system ram, it goes to your HD. Which is incredibly slow.

Long story short. For games that use over 512mb of texture memory, yes its a good thing to have. To my knowledge there are only 2 games that use over 256mb's of memory right now. Doom 3 and EQ2.

Razor1
05-08-05, 11:46 PM

It doesn't drop the amount of system ram you need. when data is stored in the vram, there is a duplicate set of that data stored in system ram as well, just in case if page flipping is necessary, most games today don't require more then 256 mb of ram Doom 3, HL2 (only if you're in the highest of settings for this one) and EQ2 are one of the first games at highest settings that do require more.

Also extra things like animated mesh data and thier skins, also ai paths animations take up system ram as well. This is why almost all games need at least 512 mb of system ram. But its better to have at least 1 gig, just incase other operations in windows take up ram in the background.

thanosAIAS
05-09-05, 12:22 AM
It doesn't drop the amount of system ram you need. when data is stored in the vram, there is a duplicate set of that data stored in system ram as well, just in case if page flipping is necessary, most games today don't require more then 256 mb of ram Doom 3, HL2 (only if you're in the highest of settings for this one) and EQ2 are one of the first games at highest settings that do require more.

Also extra things like animated mesh data and thier skins, also ai paths animations take up system ram as well. This is why almost all games need at least 512 mb of system ram. But its better to have at least 1 gig, just incase other operations in windows take up ram in the background.

Most enlightening remarks !!! Thanks man !!!

QUESTION:

I have an athlon64 3800+ and 1GB Corsair memory kit (2x512MB) at dual mode.

To get more Ram without sacrificing dual mode i have to get 2GB which is ok, but i will have to buy 2GB corsair kit (2x1GB) which apart from been quite difficult to find has slower timings than the 1GB kits.

If i get 2 extra sticks of RAM i will have to fill all 4 banks of memory, which as far as i know will reduce my command rate from 1T to 2T (slow down memory quite a bit) and also cause system instability (I'm not so sure about that, but I've read horror stories about it).

So I'm in a crisis and don't know what to do ?

I would really appreciate any thoughts !!!

saturnotaku
05-09-05, 07:08 AM
1 GB of RAM is still more than sufficient for today's games. Only if you feel you absolutely cannot live without it should you even consider upgrading. And when you do, you would need the 2x1 GB. If you go 4x512 MB, you would need a new Venice or San Diego core chip in order not to have instability with all DIMM banks populated.

Razor1
05-09-05, 01:13 PM
1 GB of RAM is still more than sufficient for today's games. Only if you feel you absolutely cannot live without it should you even consider upgrading. And when you do, you would need the 2x1 GB. If you go 4x512 MB, you would need a new Venice or San Diego core chip in order not to have instability with all DIMM banks populated.

Ditto, 1 gig will last quite a bit longer at least 2 or 3 years.

I would say wait on the graphics card if you can, the refreshes are only 3-6 months away, But if ya have to get a grpahics card right now, get something not too expensive, beacuse you will probably want to upgrade when these new cards come out, they are going to be quite a bit faster :D 6600 gt or a 6800 gt (if you can find out on a real sale) should do the trick to hold ya over till the next line.

ViN86
05-09-05, 01:55 PM
heh, longhorn says it will require 4GB of ram.

rrrrrrriiiiiiigggghhhhhtttt............ ;)

Vishruth
05-09-05, 02:18 PM
I noticed a good deal of improvement in Doom 3's performance when I switched from a temporary arrangement of 512 MB to 1 Gig of DDR400 RAM on my P4 3.0E/6800Ultra machine.

I noticed no visible improvement when I switched to 2 Gig DDR400 from 1 Gig, though. Perhaps if I had a faster processor, I may have seen some improvement after I switched from 1 gig to 2 gig of RAM.

$n][pErMan
05-09-05, 06:04 PM
I noticed a good deal of improvement in Doom 3's performance when I switched from a temporary arrangement of 512 MB to 1 Gig of DDR400 RAM on my P4 3.0E/6800Ultra machine.

I noticed no visible improvement when I switched to 2 Gig DDR400 from 1 Gig, though. Perhaps if I had a faster processor, I may have seen some improvement after I switched from 1 gig to 2 gig of RAM.
1gig to 2gigs is almost trivial. Like 3% performance increase at best.