PDA

View Full Version : VGA vs DVI

Cornmuffen
05-08-05, 10:43 PM
Got a Samsung 19" monitor LCD and was using a standard 15 pin vga cable and noticed i can use a DVI cable so i spent the 50 bucks and got one and noticed their are some good improvements over the standard vga cable.

Is their any real change from these 2 formfactors going from vga to DVI?

I did but my eyes aren't great so anyone have any opinions on this change to digital cabling?

Cheers

Roliath
05-08-05, 10:47 PM
you spent 50 bucks to buy an adapter for vga to dvi?
or to get the monitor with DVI connection rather then vga?

As far as I know, Vga is an analog signal and DVI is a digital signal.

jAkUp
05-08-05, 10:51 PM
DVI is cleaner picture. Just a digital vs. analog signal. There is definetely an improvement in visual quality moving from VGA to DVI. Although the difference may not be huge, it is definetely there.

CaptNKILL
05-08-05, 11:10 PM
you spent 50 bucks to buy an adapter for vga to dvi?
or to get the monitor with DVI connection rather then vga?

As far as I know, Vga is an analog signal and DVI is a digital signal.
He bought a cable for his monitor thats uses DVI instead of VGA... its not just an adapter, its a different signal all together I imagine.

Cornmuffen
05-08-05, 11:14 PM
I play doom 3 ut2k4 and others and since than i noticed the marks on the walls and objects are more detailed and richer in quality my desktop looks more cleaner in quality and i had to turn down vibrance in the nvidia cpanal some to enjoy the look cuz its more sensitive than before.

m LCD is 12 ns which i heard is good for gaming so i went with a better samsung lcd over the one i had before which was 14 ns which gave me smearing this one doesn't do that anymore thank god.

cheers.

einstein_314
05-09-05, 12:02 AM
I play doom 3 ut2k4 and others and since than i noticed the marks on the walls and objects are more detailed and richer in quality my desktop looks more cleaner in quality and i had to turn down vibrance in the nvidia cpanal some to enjoy the look cuz its more sensitive than before.

m LCD is 12 ns which i heard is good for gaming so i went with a better samsung lcd over the one i had before which was 14 ns which gave me smearing this one doesn't do that anymore thank god.

cheers.

12 ns!?!? :eek: I think you mean 12 ms. If you had a 12 nano second monitor, that would be amazing. I wonder how long it will be until they get into the nano seconds. Probably not long.

Are dvi cables really that expensive? I've never had to buy one, mine came with my monitor. In my opinion, DVI is way sharper than VGA. I tried hooking my lcd up with analogue once but couldn't stand it. The text was fuzzy. DVI is a much sharper picture.

gram_vaz
05-09-05, 06:26 AM
meh, i never noticed a difference between vga and dvi on any of the lcd monitors i tried.

Dr.Nick
05-09-05, 09:20 AM
Definitely worth using DVI if u can, though u probably wont notice much of a difference unless you run at high rez. My monitor cannot handle 1600 on vga at all...it ghosts like crazy.

jAkUp
05-09-05, 10:15 AM
It depends where you buy the DVI cables. At good guys or compusa they go for like $50. At pcclub we sell them for like $15 :)

stncttr908
05-09-05, 10:30 AM
12 ns!?!? :eek: I think you mean 12 ms. If you had a 12 nano second monitor, that would be amazing. I wonder how long it will be until they get into the nano seconds. Probably not long.
Well you'd have to get through micro seconds first. Milli is 10^-3, micro is 10^-6, and nano is 10^9. That's a big gap. ;)

zoomy942
05-09-05, 11:08 AM
with dvi.. if you are using some adapter.. like going from analog to dvi them back or something like that, then you arent getting real dvi.

dvi has the advantage of being a pure digital signal to the screen. with analog, the data is converted from digitasl to analog in the video card andf then back to digital in the lcd to display it.

Cornmuffen
05-09-05, 06:07 PM
It looks like the vertict is use the DVI feature on my LCD and Video Card. It does good for me but 1280 1024 is my max but looks damn good to me and may help performance too.

ENU291
05-10-05, 08:10 AM
The difference between using a 15 pin DIN VGA connection vs a DVI connection is that when using the DVI connection there is no DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) process when renduring the image on the screen. That means that you get a cleaner sharper picture. If you end up using the VGA connection the DAC circuitry kicks in and tries to mimic the digital image in analog form. The results are usually color bleed, ghosting and softening of the rendured image. If you own an LCD that has DVI out capabilities and a video card with a DVI interface you should definitely switch to DVI.

ynnek
05-10-05, 02:17 PM
I believe, the DVI cable can be also used for an analog single too.. so you may want to double check if its actually a dig signal sent and used.

gram_vaz
05-10-05, 02:45 PM
I believe, the DVI cable can be also used for an analog single too..
no.

ricercar
05-10-05, 04:28 PM
DVI-D carries analog and digital signals. DVI-I carries only digital.

ynnek
05-11-05, 01:29 PM
there we go.. I knew there were a couple of types of cables that can do one, the other or both too out there.. I remember cause we were going to order one real quick for a coworker's LCD monitor at work, then we found out there were different types.. luckly we got the original guy that delivered it to give us one that suppose to come with the monitor and saved us the hassle of ordering and waiting for one.

DVI-D carries analog and digital signals. DVI-I carries only digital.