PDA

View Full Version : Trying to maintain rationality - 6800GT + Dual View = monitor blanking

Tawnos
05-09-05, 10:28 PM
Computer:
Asus A8V Deluxe running latest bios
Athlon 64 3200+
2GB PC3200 DDR (corsair valueram)
Asus V9999GT 128MB Geforce 6800GT
Netgear WG311v2 Wireless G
12V rail remains at steady 12.08V, 5V at 5.02
Dual Viewsonic PF790 19" CRT
40GB maxtor on IDE 1 (Gentoo)
80GB WD on Promise SATA (Windows 2000/programs/mp3s)
300GB Seagate NCQ on VIA SATA (movies/TV)

A bit of a long story, but the short version:
Watching robot chicken, laughed very hard and kicked computer's insides
Computer hard locks, I power down, wait a sec, turn back on.
Booting into windows, computer hard locks... I figure part of windows must be corrupted (high performance caching + crash can = that...). Reinstall windows. Computer hard locks upon installing drivers. Reinstall windows, this time installing SP4 (SP3 CD) first, then DX 9c, then vid card drivers.....Get hard lock, corrupted winnt/system32/config/software (registry).

Go to sleep. Wake up with inspiration that network card might be problem... see that I knocked it slightly off kilter, reinstall windows. Works.

Then the fun begins... Before I reinstalled I had dualview working with both monitors at 1280x1024 32 bit color 85hz refresh, no problems. The second monitor (dualview monitor) gets 3d acceleration, so I chose my right monitor to be the accelerated one (left monitor I accidently hit with a hard drive magnet, and I don't own a degaussing rod). The left monitor has my windows taskbar, desktop, chat programs, programming environment, etc. General usage of this setup is to have WoW on DualView monitor and movie/programming/chat windows/schoolwork/whatever on the other monitor.

Now the problem, in all the forms I can remember.
1) One monitor or both monitors blank and loses signal. This happens when accessing anything that requires the nvidia control applet. As many of you are aware, when right clicking on the applet, you get the annoying "half second blank." This half second causes first analog monitor, then digital->analog converted monitor, to shut off. Unplugging and replugging the monitors to video card causes them to say there's no signal.
2) Drivers detect secondary monitor as digital flat panel instead of analog. This is annoying because, presumably, the drivers only output a digital signal to the secondary monitor. The DAC relies on the DVI-A to convert to VGA, so there's no picture shown on the second monitor.
3) After losing signal and rebooting (windows key, up arrow, enter, tab, enter... I think I work with computers too much between job fixing them and college learning them :(), windows will occassionally say something to the effect of "currently selected graphics display driver can not be used as it was written for a previous version of windows." Only fix for that is to reinstall.

What I've tried to fix this (note, I've uninstalled and used driver cleaner pro in between every driver I've tried).
nVidia official (71.89)
DNA drivers (I'd tell you version, but currenlty screens are blank..)
66.?? (don't remember...again, blank screen)
75.??

Sometimes, when the driver incorrectly detects digital and analog, switching which input each monitor is in and rechecking (choose single display then dualview) causes it to select properly.

When I first set this all up (before reformat...issues), it took me 3 or 4 drivers to find one which worked properly. I don't know which that was, perhaps someone could recommend a list of top 10 favorite forceware drivers.

I'll check back as often as I can...I'm going to work on my MIPS processor for a bit, hopefully the details I've provided will be enough for someone who used to have the same problem to describe an adequate fix.

Tawnos
05-09-05, 11:12 PM
I'm just going to log what I'm trying here... figure it's safest...

Downloaded 67.66, installed
video comes up on left monitor
changed rez to 1280x1024, color depth to 32 bit - okay
changed refresh to 85 hz - okay
clicked nview icon, blanks for half second, nView Display settings > dualview > ...wtf, lots of choices.... I'm going to try analog display + digital, but already not feeling hopeful.
restart now
login on left screen, right no signal... enter password
nvidia setup comes up, asks me to choose setup... no analog/analog option, only various combinations of analog, tv, and digital flat panel
try changing monitor cables, dualview now correctly detects 2x analog
correctly aligns monitors... I notice much faster blank time when accessing nvidia cpl
set both monitors to 85 hz
set both monitors to 1280x1024@32bit

Run WoW...60fps in ironforge....

I think I found the magical version that works...

I'll report back later... time to run orcad and do some chip layouts.

Tawnos
05-10-05, 03:43 AM
dear God, it worked....

67.66, I <3 thee like no other

janko10
05-12-05, 02:23 PM
Nice job kicking your computer bro

Tawnos
05-13-05, 09:37 PM
Isn't it great the world is filled with helpful and friendly people like you? What would we do if people were sarcastic and caustic to one another at all times?

While this driver works in Wow, there are definately a few glitches... mostly with the way shadows are handled in conjunction with terrain highlighting. Basically, the shadows are very blocky, and they seem to break up and reappear at random when moving.