PDA

View Full Version : Computer parts for a leaner, trimmer you!

Strahd
05-10-05, 11:33 AM
I have to laugh as I write this because last night I received my OCZ Powerstream 600w PSU and when I picked up the box I couldn't believe how heavy it was. I was immedietely skeptical that there was a power supply in the box but when I opened up the box and saw the PSU, I just shook my head.

You could do weight lifting with this thing and shed a few pounds lol!

*starts doing bench presses with his new PSU*

ENU291
05-10-05, 11:49 AM
Weight is one of the indicators that a power supply is made of quality components. The transformer in a high quality power supply should be hefty.

ViN86
05-10-05, 02:04 PM
i know exactly what you mean. i got my Antec TruePower2.0 550W this week and... WOW. thing was like over 5 lbs. thank god zipzoomfly had free 2nd day shipping on all my parts, would have cost a fortune otherwise, hehehe.

GlowStick
05-10-05, 06:34 PM
Weight is one of the indicators that a power supply is made of quality components. The transformer in a high quality power supply should be hefty.
Exactly, any psu that is light is crap!

jAkUp
05-10-05, 06:40 PM
Yup. The heavier powersupplies are generally higher quality with the better heatsinks, caps, etc.

SLippe
05-10-05, 07:52 PM
*makes note to self*

Kamel
05-10-05, 07:53 PM
i agree with what has been said... however, i think a lot of PSU makers have caught on to this and have started increasing the weight of their PSU in questionable ways.... just a thought, heh

hazindu
05-11-05, 08:52 AM
some of you need to learn the difference between "rule of thumb" and "absolute truth".

True, a good powersupply should be pretty hefty, but Powmax could easily start making their casing out of thick steel and filling them with lead, and then you'd realize how moronic it is to judge a psu by weight.

ENU291
05-11-05, 09:30 AM
some of you need to learn the difference between "rule of thumb" and "absolute truth".

True, a good powersupply should be pretty hefty, but Powmax could easily start making their casing out of thick steel and filling them with lead, and then you'd realize how moronic it is to judge a psu by weight.
It was mentioned that ONE of the indicators of a quality power supply is weight. There are many factors such as brand name history, 5 and 12 volt rail ratings, heat dissipation ability, wire management, noise output etc. I suggest anyone in the market for a good quality power supply to do some homework and read as many online reviews as possible before making a decision (that goes for any computer hardware related purchase).

hazindu
05-11-05, 02:44 PM
It was mentioned that ONE of the indicators of a quality power supply is weight. There are many factors such as brand name history, 5 and 12 volt rail ratings, heat dissipation ability, wire management, noise output etc. I suggest anyone in the market for a good quality power supply to do some homework and read as many online reviews as possible before making a decision (that goes for any computer hardware related purchase).

My post was geared towards the posts that your comment sparked, not your actual post. I agree fully with everything you've said.

Pandora's Box
05-11-05, 02:53 PM
same experience with my ocz 520watt powerstream. nice and heavy.

jAkUp
05-11-05, 03:11 PM
Of course theres alot more to a psu than weight... just like there is more to a psu than just wattage. Sadly wattage has become marketing now. Who can inflate their wattage more sells the more powersupplies. Too bad in this world you make more money by ripping people off, rather than making a quality powersupply.

I guess its nobody's fault but the joe blow who thinks they are all the same. *sigh*

Strahd
05-11-05, 03:49 PM
Actually I chose the 600w OCZ Powerstream because it has 2 12v rails which was one of the deciding factor for me. I have calculated my power use to be 390w with my current setup and when I go either dual GPU or SLI, I will need the extra wattage so I am not running close to the max. I do believe the 390w is a high estimate but I would rather be safe then sorry. I wanted a good quality power supply that I could adjust the voltage on.

Compared to the PSU that is in my current rig (An Alpine 500w), I could use two of those Alpines and it might come close to the weight of that OCZ I got.

ynnek
05-11-05, 03:59 PM
/me removes lead weights taped to the side of his PSU

lol

wheeljack12
05-11-05, 08:58 PM
you want to talk about a brick, read my sig's power supply. 9' deep. Was weighed in by the courier at 10lbs.