PDA

View Full Version : Problem using a PCI and AGP Nivida Cards

robinBones
05-10-05, 01:19 PM
I've been fighting this problem for about 2 weeks now.

My Mother Board
PT880 Neo-LSR http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=527

I have a dual view card
FX5700 Ultra (Dual DVI)
GAINWARD Geforce 128MB GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video Card - Retail
Model #: VFX57DD5438

running 2 LCD's at 1600x1200

I'm trying to run a third lcd at 1600X1200 from a pci card

I ordered a card from new egg,
FX5200 (Single DVI)
Rosewill Geforce FX5200 128MB 64-bit DDR PCI Video Card - Retail
Model #: R5200-128PCI

and each time I enable it, I get a black screen, then a blue screen ref: nv4_disp

I then went buy a second Fx5200 PCI card from a local Circuit City
eVGA 5200 128 Meg Ram PCI

I have the same problem there.
I setup PCI as the default in the bios, durring post it will use the pci, and windows will use the pci, as soon as I enable another monitor on the main card, I get the same blue screen.

I even updated my mother board to the latest bios, but no help.
I tried the last 5 major versions of the nvidia drivers, the omega drivers, and another set I had found on this site, they all do the same thing. I even tried using diffrent driver versions on the PCI vs the AGP card.

Is there anything that I missed?

Thanks
Robin

ricercar
05-10-05, 04:40 PM
I've never had a Windows PCI+AGP card issue with NVIDIA cards that wasn't solved by setting the BIOS to initialize the PCI card first, but--as discussed in pm--this is not your issue.

Have you tried varying the PCI slot? There may be an interrupt or PCI bridge incompatability on your motherboard.

Do you have a different motherboard you can use to test the cards together?

robinBones
05-11-05, 11:47 AM
I tried chaning the PCI Slots, I have a third PCI card that I had tried, with a MX4000 chipset. That one worked using the analog plug. When I changed to DVI I got a blank screen. I then read it was a problem with that card not working 1600X1200 on DVI.

I'm going to pick up another PCI MX4000 card todat and try that, then I"ll steal someone elses desktop and try the cards in there.

robinBones
05-11-05, 01:58 PM
I just bought a Radion 7000 video card, and it is working..
So I'm leaning this twords beening a nvidia problem, I had found a post elsewhere saying it was a known problem, and supposed to be fixed in the next drivers.

Gator
05-11-05, 03:51 PM
I just bought a Radion 7000 video card, and it is working..
So I'm leaning this twords beening a nvidia problem, I had found a post elsewhere saying it was a known problem, and supposed to be fixed in the next drivers.

That's very strange, I can't imagine why this is a problem. so long as the PCI is set as primary in the BIOS it should have worked. But I'm glad the R7000 solved the problem at least. I dont know how much your system will like mixing ATI and Nvidia driver packages though :(

Do any Nview at least work with the R7000 card? :confused:

razza
06-30-05, 05:44 PM
robinbones please check your PM. If anyone else is having this same issue and has a resolution please post!
I use a 6800GT and FX5200 and I have found a few work arounds. If you use 61.77 drivers or lower everything works great. Any drivers newer than this will cause a blue screen when you try to activate the screen on the PCI card. Now robinbones has mentioned that he got it working with an ATI card and also with an MX4000. After reading numerous forums it seems a lot of other people are having the same problem but with only the FX5200 PCI range. I haven't gone out yet to purchase an MX4000 and wanting to hear back from robinbones on his experience with it.