PDA

View Full Version : Doom 3 still rocks!

Pages : [1] 2

Intel17
05-10-05, 07:48 PM
Well, it's been almost a year since Doom 3's release, and after playing through it numerous times before, it's still a kick-butt game!

Playing one or two missions a day in a dark room, with the sound cranked up, running Ultra quality with 2xAA and 16xAF, really is an experience which is unmatched by any other shooter to date.

I've found with Doom 3 that, you have to be in the mood for it, and you've got to really want to play it to get the full experience. If a Half-Life 2 fanboy starts up Doom 3 and just mindlessly plays through it, thinking how HL2 is so much better than it (just using it as a reference, could be a FC fan, Unreal or anything), then yeah, the experience will most likely be pretty dull.

So I urge many of you who didn't like the game (and people who did as well), to give it another chance and while playing it, try to put yourself into the world, because the best visuals and sound only go so far when you are looking for faults!

Plus, if you go through it and enjoy it, ROE is out as well and it's also amazing (although I prefer Doom 3 slightly due to better story integration and substance) and can give you many hours of fun, especially with the very fun multiplayer experience (it's simple, yet so addicting--deathmatch hasn't been this good in ages)!

Oh, and Doom 3 on my measly machine (P4 2.4GHz, 1GB ram, Radeon 9800 pro 256MB, crap by todays standards) looks absolutely amazing and runs silky smooth (for a slowly paced horror-shooter and compared to FarCry at similar settings).

:)

OWA
05-10-05, 07:57 PM
Yeah, I agree (as well as agreeing on the liking D3 a little more than RoE). D3 is the only game I can think of that I've completed more than once. I'm almost done with RoE for the 2nd time. Plus, having the 3mood mod by tertsi has made both seem kind of new since you can change the look somewhat.

vX
05-10-05, 08:15 PM
Oh, and Doom 3 on my measly machine (P4 2.4GHz, 1GB ram, Radeon 9800 pro 256MB, crap by todays standards) looks absolutely amazing and runs silky smooth (for a slowly paced horror-shooter and compared to FarCry at similar settings).

That's not a measly machine man, thats quite nice. If you're able to run today's games like doom 3 and half-life 2 on it, it's fine. :D Could be worse, you could be gaming on a system with 733mhz, 64mb, a g3 hybird with the name "xbox" ;)

I never really played doom 3, I bought it, it's sitting here, loaded it up, went through a level, but I just never had the "mood" to play it. I understand the doom franchise, and I know it's basic shoot and run stuff, so I refuse to play it till i'm in the mood for something like that, because I don't want to depreciate it for what it is like so many seem to have, right now I can't get enough gravity gun in HL2 dm. :eek:

Intel17
05-10-05, 08:26 PM
That's not a measly machine man, thats quite nice. If you're able to run today's games like doom 3 and half-life 2 on it, it's fine. :D Could be worse, you could be gaming on a system with 733mhz, 64mb, a g3 hybird with the name "xbox" ;)

I never really played doom 3, I bought it, it's sitting here, loaded it up, went through a level, but I just never had the "mood" to play it. I understand the doom franchise, and I know it's basic shoot and run stuff, so I refuse to play it till i'm in the mood for something like that, because I don't want to depreciate it for what it is like so many seem to have, right now I can't get enough gravity gun in HL2 dm. :eek:

Yes, it's a nice machine and it runs everything smoothly (except maybe FarCry at higher settings, but that's only one bleeding edge game) and I get max visual quality on everything. I've been wanting to go to a top end AMD system with 2gigs of RAM, SLI 6800U's and all that, but there really isn't an excuse right now (except again, HDR in FarCry and the 64 bit in FarCry).

About Doom 3, well, I mean, don't just let it sit on your shelf and never play it, that's pretty wasteful (of your money and the game)! Go ahead, load up Doom 3 late on a weekend, crank the visuals to Ultra quality, throw all graphics options like anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering and prepare for a really, truly, unique and thrilling expereince (wow, I'm starting to sound like an Id software marketing guy)! Trust me, it starts out a little slow, but just keep playing it and you'll not want to leave your computer!

Did I mention that realtime lighting and shadowing look absolutely amazing? :-)

Edge
05-10-05, 08:42 PM
But then you could play the game in coop mode :p

holmes
05-10-05, 09:07 PM
But then you could play the game in coop mode :p

You can play coop on PC with the Last Man Standing mod...

holmes
05-10-05, 09:13 PM
I think most people around here know that I'm a HUGE Doom3 lover (which includes the expansion), so I don't think there's any need for me to say how much this game blows my mind. I'm waiting to get a 5.1 speaker set before going the third time through, but I never seem to get tired of this game. And may I say that the MP is very much underated.. it's sad really. How can the MP be so damn good and nowhere near as many play it as, say, Quak e3? At least there are others who feel the same as I do and refuse to let it die.

game on baby! :firedevil

Xplode
05-10-05, 10:24 PM
How do you enable surround sound...doesn't let me turn it on even tho I have 7.1 enabled in the audigy menu...

Seoulstriker
05-11-05, 07:40 AM
I've found with Doom 3 that, you have to be in the mood for it, and you've got to really want to play it to get the full experience. If a Half-Life 2 fanboy starts up Doom 3 and just mindlessly plays through it, thinking how HL2 is so much better than it (just using it as a reference, could be a FC fan, Unreal or anything), then yeah, the experience will most likely be pretty dull.

I very much agree with that statement. :eek:

I actually never did like Half-Life, and so when I bought HL2 (november last year, haven't even gotten the grav gun yet...), I had this mentality of how much the game sucks. And guess what: I still think HL2 sucks. A lot. Worst game I have played in ages. Terrible sound effects, no voice from Gordon, lame graphics, idiotic gameplay (how long do I have to drive a f***ing hovercraft?!?).

In other words, don't ruin any game by having the wrong attitude.

vX
05-11-05, 09:01 AM
hl2 = bad graphics? Hey to each his own, but I looooove hl2's graphics. Although I feel farcry's are better, (not sure about doom 3 cause like i said, havent really played it) alright, i'm gonna load up doom 3 when i get home after school, right after i install winxp64 and the farcry patches on my second hard drive....all this talk of doom 3 is putting me in the mood for it.

zaG
05-11-05, 02:42 PM
Yeah i absolutly have to agree !! D00M is at this time the best game ive ever played. This kind of graphics show you something that you have never seen before in life. Shadows with light togehter is amazing and bumpmapping on the textures are really unbelievable. If someone says HL got better textures must be blind !?!? The atmosphere ... wow i was so afraid ! :eek:
Storyline isnt that bad like another people sometimes say, i compare it with the Storyline of Half-Life 1 ;)
The next step for me will be RoE and i know for myself that ID got a lot of know how to programm a "game" .... like this one !!!!

just my 2 cents

OWA
05-11-05, 05:10 PM
I very much agree with that statement. :eek:

I actually never did like Half-Life, and so when I bought HL2 (november last year, haven't even gotten the grav gun yet...), I had this mentality of how much the game sucks. And guess what: I still think HL2 sucks. A lot. Worst game I have played in ages. Terrible sound effects, no voice from Gordon, lame graphics, idiotic gameplay (how long do I have to drive a f***ing hovercraft?!?).

In other words, don't ruin any game by having the wrong attitude.
I stopped playing HL2 as a game on the hovercraft level but recently I started using cheats to explore more of the game (mainly to see the graphics). I discovered the grav gun last night and have to admit, it is pretty fun to play around with.

Yuet
05-13-05, 01:16 PM
I have to agree that doom 3 still rock.

I already finished doom 3 when HL2 came out. When I started playing HL2, I thought it was a good game and I felt a bit disappointed by doom 3 because gameplay wise, doom 3 did not offer anything new. But when I finished HL2, and gather my thought on both games, I have to admit I like doom 3 much more, the sole reason is because the in-game atmosphere, I found doom 3 is much more immersive and draw me into it, while HL2 is just a game with few funny tools to play with.

I'm waiting to get a 5.1 speaker set before going the third time through, but I never seem to get tired of this game.

Doom 3 damaged three out of five satilate speakers for my 5.1 speaker set, now I have to tune down the volumn to play otherwise I cannot bear the cracking sounds coming out of the speakers.

Apart from that, what a hell of expericence in playing doom 3.

Seoulstriker
05-13-05, 01:47 PM
I stopped playing HL2 as a game on the hovercraft level but recently I started using cheats to explore more of the game (mainly to see the graphics). I discovered the grav gun last night and have to admit, it is pretty fun to play around with.

I wrote a more detailed review here (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50571).

ragejg
05-13-05, 01:58 PM
My pc is temporarily stationed at a friend's house in her bedroom hooked to her 32" TV... and is used almost exclusively for media playing at the moment, and things function fine @ 720x480...

...and since I don't have an UBER card ATM (6200 @ 8x1, 450/650) and am running my cpu at stock speeds, I'm not really high end either... but ya know what? Sitting 6 ft back, Doom3 plays FANTASTIC @ high quality, 640x480, 2xAA/16x AF... I could probably use 4xaa but I haven't tried it... after playing it on tv with an xbox, PC D3 on TV is plenny cool... (though once I tried it on a 35" HD set with one of my 6800 review units and THAT was even cooler :p)

Plus I haven't beaten it yet either, so I'm still getting plenty of replay value (I'm really not a very skilled gamer, I take my time and learn slow ;) )

OWA
05-13-05, 03:29 PM
I wrote a more detailed review here (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50571).
Okay, I'm going a little OT but yeah, I agree with a lot of that. I think I have the same problem. I never played past the first level in the original one so I felt lost in the 2nd. Didn't really know or care about the characters since I didn't know anything about them.

With D3, I felt the story was relayed through the PDA pretty well and even though I hadn't played Doom, I knew what was going on and felt a part of the story.

ricercar
05-14-05, 02:46 AM
My Doom3 sessions are short. The game is lasting me forever.

I play after the toddler goes to bed to keep him from watching. As the only person awake in my household, I can't play Doom3 for long. Under 5.1 headphones, all it takes is one far-away scream of something like "Oh my God, Nooooo!" and I shut down. The first time I heard that deep directionless laugh, I shut down. Some times I hear the rattle of an imp in hiding, and I shut down. Then I have to make my way across the dark house to the bedroom, using only a flashlight or gun, not both. :p

Fine work. Just not something I can take in large quantities.

Acid Rain
05-14-05, 05:19 AM
Some times I hear the rattle of an imp in hiding, and I shut down. Then I have to make my way across the dark house to the bedroom, using only a flashlight or gun, not both. :p Man, I bet you wet your chair the first time you casually strolled into that bathroom after Hell broke loose! :D

Doom 3 is super freaky if you lower your guard and let it take you properly. At night, with headphones or equivalent, by yourself, etc.
It totally does the job.

Intel17
05-14-05, 07:58 AM
My Doom3 sessions are short. The game is lasting me forever.

I play after the toddler goes to bed to keep him from watching. As the only person awake in my household, I can't play Doom3 for long. Under 5.1 headphones, all it takes is one far-away scream of something like "Oh my God, Nooooo!" and I shut down. The first time I heard that deep directionless laugh, I shut down. Some times I hear the rattle of an imp in hiding, and I shut down. Then I have to make my way across the dark house to the bedroom, using only a flashlight or gun, not both. :p

Fine work. Just not something I can take in large quantities.

Yeah, that's what I mean when you've got to be in the mood :) A lot of people complain that it wasn't scary, but that's because they didn't want it to be scary. They looked at Doom 3 as merely a game, not an experience. They ruined the game by probably playing on easy, turning on GOD mode and getting all the weapons and blasting through the levels.

I'm glad you're experiencing the game as it was meant to be!

By the way, I just played through Hell last night and wow! With headphones and having it turned up all the way it was amazingly scary! I took a few breathtaking shots which I'll post here as well (no spoilers, though).

holmes
05-14-05, 11:39 AM
Yup, if you're not playing Doom3 late at night, all alone with the lights out, and the headphones/speakers cranked, you're doing yourself a serious injustice.. Glad to see some people appreciate the game as it was meant to be played...

vX
05-15-05, 11:43 AM
I started playing this yesterday. I've owned it for a while but it's been sitting on my shelf. I have to say, it looks amazing and man is it scary. Awesome game so far, can't wait to see those screenies intel17. =)

Intel17
05-15-05, 09:16 PM
All shots are taken at 1024x768, Ultra Quality 2xAA, 16x AF

http://img54.echo.cx/img54/3973/shot003388kw.th.jpg (http://img54.echo.cx/my.php?image=shot003388kw.jpg)

Mmm, correctly shadowed goodness!

http://img54.echo.cx/img54/5110/shot002320fm.th.jpg (http://img54.echo.cx/my.php?image=shot002320fm.jpg)

Ahh! Zombies! Notice the exquisite detail in the environment and the characters!

http://img54.echo.cx/img54/540/shot004421tm.th.jpg (http://img54.echo.cx/my.php?image=shot004421tm.jpg)

Doom 3 Marine rendered in amazing detail with emotion contorted on his face realistically!

http://img54.echo.cx/img54/6837/shot003403bu.th.jpg (http://img54.echo.cx/my.php?image=shot003403bu.jpg)

Look at the dig site, with exemplary geometry detail coupled with well done bumpmapping and the light realistically hitting the surface!

More to come!

vX
05-15-05, 09:49 PM
nice shots!

einstein_314
05-15-05, 10:09 PM
I havn't played doom3 in a while now, been too busy with school, but it was an awesome game. The sound in this game was amazing especially with 5.1 surround and the volume cranked. The little noises everywhere creep me out. I remember have to quit for the night becuase I had had enough scare for the night. Good game. I havn't bought ROE yet, maybe I'll get it for my birthday.

holmes
05-15-05, 10:27 PM
I havn't played doom3 in a while now, been too busy with school, but it was an awesome game. The sound in this game was amazing especially with 5.1 surround and the volume cranked. The little noises everywhere creep me out. I remember have to quit for the night becuase I had had enough scare for the night. Good game. I havn't bought ROE yet, maybe I'll get it for my birthday.

If you liked or disliked Doom3, chances are you'll love RoE. There's just so much more to love. Do yourself a favor... run, don't walk to your local retailer and buy this game. (D3 marketing campaign over :p )