PDA

View Full Version : Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst open beta!

Pages : [1] 2

Ninjaman09
05-10-05, 08:43 PM
Hey, if any of you guys are the PSO addict I used to be, you may find this news exciting. The client is on the first page of Fileplanet (http://www.fileplanet.com). Check it out!

Shamrock
05-10-05, 09:24 PM
(w/opics)

where are the pics man?

Edge
05-10-05, 09:54 PM
Oh hell, I'm gonna have to give this one a shot. Nearly 5 years after it's original release, it's probably still just as addicting.

Ninjaman09
05-10-05, 09:58 PM
High res textures. :D And the beta is free...only thing that sucks is that it's really hard to control.

|MaguS|
05-11-05, 07:52 AM
Downloading it now, I loved them on the Dreamcast, just hope they dont go P2P like the last ones. Really isn't worth it compared to a "true" MMORPG.

vX
05-11-05, 10:03 AM
I remember playing this for dreamcast in 2001 about 5 months or so before they closed the servers down....i'll have to give it another shot...so much stuff to download and install when I get home today. :D

Superfly
05-11-05, 10:13 AM
Is this actually any good???

screenies someone..........

vX
05-11-05, 10:39 AM
just google phantasy star online for gamecube or dreamcast, then picture a higher res and there u go. =)

Ninjaman09
05-11-05, 01:31 PM
The graphics are exactly the same as on the Dreamcast (and subsequent ports) with the exception that they included high-res textures for higher resolutions. Other than that this is pure Phantasy Star Online.

AgentHeX_0007
05-11-05, 02:26 PM
PSO beta hehe gonna have to try this out, I lost a few years of my social life to the Dreamcast versions (v1 & v2)

My character used to be called DJ DUBZ, for you Dreamcast nostalgic's out there...

oldsk00l
05-11-05, 02:37 PM
xbox version too soon

yummy

anzak
05-11-05, 10:32 PM
PSO beta hehe gonna have to try this out, I lost a few years of my social life to the Dreamcast versions (v1 & v2)

My character used to be called DJ DUBZ, for you Dreamcast nostalgic's out there...

/off topic

Im sure your proud of that overclock, but please make that text in your sig smaller.

/on topic

I'm to addicted to WoW atm. Playing any other game would be taking away time that could be used to grind, tailor, or work on my pvp strategy to beating shamans. :D

CaptNKILL
05-11-05, 11:22 PM
So does this Phantasy Star game resemble PS4: THe End of the Millennium at all? That was an amazing game. Best RPG of that style I have ever played.

I know the 3d graphics and MMORPG aspects change it a lot, but is there any resemblance in the gameplay or art-style or locations? I might give it a worl as long as its free.

Rakeesh
05-12-05, 10:57 AM
No, unfortunately they discontinued the original Phantasy Star storyline AFAIK. Best RPG series ever IMO. I wish they would have gone through with their plans for Phantasy Star 5.

Many aspects of PSO resemble the old PS series (the start of the intro music sounds kinda like PS2 intro) if you are looking for nostalgic aspects.

BTW: fileplanet is gay. :rolleyes:

Ninjaman09
05-12-05, 11:07 AM
So does this Phantasy Star game resemble PS4: THe End of the Millennium at all? That was an amazing game. Best RPG of that style I have ever played.

I know the 3d graphics and MMORPG aspects change it a lot, but is there any resemblance in the gameplay or art-style or locations? I might give it a worl as long as its free.
This isn't a new game, it's just PSO for the PC (and in English). It's worth a gander but there isn't really a storyline to speak of. It's an action-rpg in the same vein as Diablo.

Rakeesh
05-12-05, 11:58 AM
This one isn't as good as the previous warez/unofficial PC one that I remember. The intro graphics are crap and the controls suck.

Ninjaman09
05-12-05, 12:01 PM
This one isn't as good as the previous warez/unofficial PC one that I remember. The intro graphics are crap and the controls suck.
The other one was official, it was just never released in the U.S. You could still buy, install, and play it though. If I remember there were warez servers running with hacks and all but that wasn't any fun.

Anyway this new version adds another episode as well as slightly improving the graphics and providing a large action bar to make it easier to manage spells. Pretty handy, but yeah, the controls are horrible.

Vagrant Zero
05-12-05, 12:16 PM
No, unfortunately they discontinued the original Phantasy Star storyline AFAIK. Best RPG series ever IMO. I wish they would have gone through with their plans for Phantasy Star 5.

Many aspects of PSO resemble the old PS series (the start of the intro music sounds kinda like PS2 intro) if you are looking for nostalgic aspects.

BTW: fileplanet is gay. :rolleyes:

There's a new single-player PS game coming out, I believe it's called PS Universe.

Edge
05-12-05, 03:07 PM
The controls are strange unless you have a joypad. My Xbox controller works pretty well for it, although I can't get the game to recognise the digital pad.

But otherwise, it's pretty much the same game I played 5 years ago. A few new features and episodes, and less prone to hacking now that characters are stored on the servers, but still pretty much the same thing. Graphics and sound are pretty simplistic, textures got a good boost but otherwise models, environments, and sound instruments are exactly the same. It seems for this version they cut out the intro movie and replaced it with static images, probably to reduce the file size for the beta. The game is nothing special anymore, but a good RPG to burn a few hours on here and there just for the hell of it.

Ninjaman09
05-12-05, 03:08 PM
The controls are strange unless you have a joypad. My Xbox controller works pretty well for it, although I can't get the game to recognise the digital pad.

But otherwise, it's pretty much the same game I played 5 years ago. A few new features and episodes, and less prone to hacking now that characters are stored on the servers, but still pretty much the same thing. Graphics and sound are pretty simplistic, textures got a good boost but otherwise models, environments, and sound instruments are exactly the same. It seems for this version they cut out the intro movie and replaced it with static images, probably to reduce the file size for the beta. The game is nothing special anymore, but a good RPG to burn a few hours on here and there just for the hell of it.
I feel the same way - I played a HUCaseal to level 134 on the Gamecube and various other characters to the 70-100 range. The game doesn't quite have the charm it did before.

fivefeet8
05-12-05, 03:30 PM
I can't seem to login to the server. Seems my keyboard doesn't work at the Title screen when trying to input my username and password. Strange.

Edge
05-12-05, 04:08 PM
I can't seem to login to the server. Seems my keyboard doesn't work at the Title screen when trying to input my username and password. Strange.
You have to hit Enter on them in order to type in them.

fivefeet8
05-12-05, 04:59 PM
You have to hit Enter on them in order to type in them.

I did. :eek: I can enter the sub field to input, but nothing happens when I press they keys on my keyboard.

EciDemon
05-12-05, 05:48 PM
Me and a friend played pso last summer on my GC, you can tell its an old game now so I lost intrest pretty quick.

With todays standards I would not pay monthly fees for this.
Yet im going to try out the beta, Im curious how this will look on pc with updated textures.

Rakeesh
06-17-05, 12:36 AM
Anybody besides me actually play this game through the beta period while it lasted?

I am thinking I might actually play for about a month and a half. I brought a character all the way up to level 81 during the beta, and since you don't have to buy the game to start out I think the cost will be worth it ($9.) I can probably beat it within that time period so it isn't like it will be an ongoing thing.

Normally I don't like to pay monthly fees for games, but this is worth it since they give you a try before you buy and then even add a two week for a dollar period after the game has gone gold. That way you can just play it willy nilly and if it sucks you are out nothing. If more MMORPGs did this, I might actually subscribe to them.