PDA

View Full Version : Now thats better! Zalman VF700-CU install

loafer87gt
05-11-05, 12:25 AM
:D

Before install my BFG 6800GT was crashing constantly under heavy load, with idles temps sitting between low and mid 70's and load temps hitting well over a 100C. After several calls to BFG I was told that this was not the cause of my crashes, and that these temps were well within normal operating temps.

Anyways, I figured with stellar technical support like this, what was to lose by voiding my warranty and installing a proper aftermarket cooler. Well, I am pleased to report that my idle temps are now sitting between 48-50C, with load temps never hitting above 68C!!! Plus, my machine has not crashed once since installing the cooler, despite throwing everything in my gaming arsenal at it.

Now I can finally enjoy this card the way Nvidia intended.

Thumbs up to Zalman, and a big thumbs down to BFG for using such a ****ty cooling design on their cards.

Sidric
05-11-05, 08:59 PM
. . . . welcome to the club. :D

aZn_plyR
05-12-05, 01:33 AM
wow, there must be something wrong with the stock HSF...probably it wasn't in contact with the core or the fan was dead..but anyways..I am glad u got that better looking/performance HSF on ur gt :)

Sidric
05-12-05, 03:55 AM
wow, there must be something wrong with the stock HSF...probably it wasn't in contact with the core or the fan was dead..but anyways..I am glad u got that better looking/performance HSF on ur gt :)

Nah the stock cooler on the GT OC's are just POS. if i'd a known better i'd probably had gone with a different company like PNY or EVGA. nonetheless it was just the cooler and not the card. replaced it with a zalman and all is well.

PSYCHODAD
05-12-05, 05:05 AM
My XFX were just as bad before the Zalmans.

Strahd
05-12-05, 11:22 AM
Next time buy a eVGA card. The stock cooling on my 6800 UEE idles at 50c and 60c under a load :)

RpPRO
05-12-05, 11:42 AM
Well, my 9700pro suffered from crashes with its stock cooler, too. With the latest games I only managed to play a few minutes until a complete lockup occured.

I installed this cooler, too. Rock stable since then. Highly recommended for everyone wanting less noise from the pc, more stability and all-around better cooling. :thumbsup:

NemesisChild
05-12-05, 02:06 PM
:D

Before install my BFG 6800GT was crashing constantly under heavy load, with idles temps sitting between low and mid 70's and load temps hitting well over a 100C. After several calls to BFG I was told that this was not the cause of my crashes, and that these temps were well within normal operating temps.

Anyways, I figured with stellar technical support like this, what was to lose by voiding my warranty and installing a proper aftermarket cooler. Well, I am pleased to report that my idle temps are now sitting between 48-50C, with load temps never hitting above 68C!!! Plus, my machine has not crashed once since installing the cooler, despite throwing everything in my gaming arsenal at it.

Now I can finally enjoy this card the way Nvidia intended.

Thumbs up to Zalman, and a big thumbs down to BFG for using such a ****ty cooling design on their cards.

Let me guess, you had the dual fan cooler/HS from BFG, right?
I had the same problems until I installed an NV5 (I may soon replace it with a Zalman).

Pandora's Box
05-12-05, 02:23 PM
i have a vf700cu coming in for my 9800 pro flashed to 9800 xt. should be interesting to see the results.

Elderblaze
05-12-05, 03:18 PM
Evga are good, but I got one of the very first units made and it does not perform like the newer ones. Idle around 48C and maxes around 84 under load. No crashes but that's still pretty hot. My case is very well ventilated and the room temp is around 75 F. Which leads me to beleive the cooler is not installed properly. Since it dosent crash though I just leave it be. May install a 3rd party cooler when my warrenty runs out in november.

regards,
mike

loafer87gt
05-12-05, 08:12 PM

The stock Twin Fans are just poorly designed. This was my second BFG card - I returned the first because of the insane temps and excahnged it for this one, which had the same high temps. The store even tried the first card I returned in one of their boxes and they had the same crazy temps.

Methinks BFG should lose the flashy lights and go back to the reference design.

Absolution
05-13-05, 04:54 PM
the bfg cooler is crap most of time time, cept my friend has the exact same setup as myself (except he's got a 3500+ instead of fx-55) while i idled at like 63 and loads around 87, he idles at 52 (which is what i idle with the zalman vf700 cu) but his load temps are around 70 which isnt all that bad
i guess some just are better then others....