PDA

View Full Version : Creative's New X-Fi Chip!!!!

Superfly
05-11-05, 05:47 AM
Check out the spec's!!!!!

wowzors......

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1813855,00.asp

Quote:

We should preface the X-Fi's speeds and feeds by saying that if you're used to seeing CPU and GPU specs, the X-Fi's numbers may not appear to be that impressive at first glance. But remember that the X-Fi is designed to do one thing really well: audio. Its 400MHz core clock speed is actually comparable to the clock rates found in GPUs, although current-generation GPUs like the GeForce 6800 Ultra can have over four times as many transistors. What's much more impressive is how the X-Fi compares to its predecessor, the Audigy 2 ZS' EMU10K2.5.

EDIT: Products due this fall.

shabby
05-11-05, 07:02 AM
Finally, something new from creative.

jolle
05-11-05, 08:21 AM
was reading about it last night, seems advanced..
They bring up a good point there, will it be utilized in games?
Its a huge step up from anything else out there, so developers will have to use a basic "todays level" implementation, and a alot more advanced one to utilize this new chip..
I guess it depends on the target audience, if they sell enough of them..

oldsk00l
05-11-05, 10:29 AM
I really wish Creative had done something with the Aureal IP acquisition.

BrianG
05-11-05, 10:42 AM
Still no mention of DDL... Pass.

superklye
05-11-05, 11:02 AM
Still no mention of DDL... Pass.
Maybe they'll add it? Hopefully...?

zoomy942
05-11-05, 11:25 AM
i would have voted for them to predo their drivers and the support for the drivers, instead of make a new sound card.

i bet there is a ton more performance in the cards that are out now.

oldsk00l
05-11-05, 11:33 AM
I remember all this blather about how the Live! (emu10k1) was going to have all this untapped potential and that they would just release updates to the microcode to make it more powerful yada yada blah blah blah

I also remember about how when Creative bought 3DLabs that they would make the P10 "OMFG TEH ROXX0rZ!!!" with all of CL's massive resources...Creative sux man.

I dun like them no more.

zoomy942
05-11-05, 11:38 AM
i tried out my audigy2 that was in my closet last night.. i NEER EVER got a blue screen until i put that in. sure onboard isnt great, but HELL it's stable

jolle
05-11-05, 03:00 PM
Ive been pretty split on soundcards, havent had one for ages, was very happy with soundstorm.
But with this integrated ALC850 I got now I got tempted to buy a audigy2, for example with using Mic in Ventrilo, the range between silent and me speaking is almost nonexistant, which means that when I use Trigger to speak (instead of push to speak) it triggers on and off at random, and sometimes dont trigger at all when I speak.. too much noise I guess..
But then people always complain about the Creative software and drivers, which then weighs back the scale (which is pretty even as it is with me being in a constant state of moneyshortage)

ynnek
05-11-05, 05:52 PM
They have to do something innovative...

Intel's got the High Definition Audio with Dolby Digital DTS and the such built in to their latest mb's.. and with Dual Core coming out, who cares if it takes 5% of one CPU.. you got another one available!

XP_GUN
05-11-05, 06:11 PM
i tried out my audigy2 that was in my closet last night.. i NEER EVER got a blue screen until i put that in. sure onboard isnt great, but HELL it's stable

XP right?

If it is how the hell do you get them, I have never had one on XP, but only on 98. ;)

superklye
05-11-05, 07:07 PM
seriously...PR needs a new letter. X is dead. They should use Q. Q is so underrated.

"It's Qextreme!"

Qxtreme!

Q^2

I'm sorry....i'm ****ing wasted.

zoomy942
05-11-05, 07:11 PM
XP right?

If it is how the hell do you get them, I have never had one on XP, but only on 98. ;)

creative labs was kind enough to let me have one

$n][pErMan
05-11-05, 07:36 PM
Audigy2 works fine for me.... as long as I dont use EAX in some games :-( Never had this problem till after the 61.77 drivers from nvidia.... so wierd...