PDA

View Full Version : Leadtek A400 HSF removal

diklittleboy
05-11-05, 08:47 AM
Hey guys does anyone know how to remove Leadtek A400 GPU Heatsink without damaging anything?

The fan is dead and now im thinking to install a new HSF the only problem is i dont know how to remove the original HSF.

Thanks

dik

MUYA
05-11-05, 08:49 AM
I think Macatak took the leadtek fan out and put in a 80mm somehow...

I'll search for the picture ...it's in these forums somewhere.

nibi
05-11-05, 10:01 AM
its easy :) you should only pressing the plastic screws in the back of the vga and then with carefully examine the HSF because is a one block not 2 block (upside and downside) its easy....be carefull with your hands, ever have a possibility to broke the vga.
the fan conector of leadtek is different to the others, examine your new fan because the "piece conector white" is a different shape to others conectors

excuse me for my english is poor

MUYA
05-11-05, 10:08 AM
hmm cannot find it..ah well

NemesisChild
05-11-05, 03:10 PM
I just replaced the HS on my Leadtek A400 with an NV5, it's a relatively simple procedure.
Just crimp the flanged portion of the white clips and push it back through the holes.
Two of the holes were very small, so I ended up cutting them off with a wire cutter.
Just be very careful and take your time!
It actually took me longer to get the Leadtek HS off than it took to install the NV5.

myshkinbob
05-11-05, 03:43 PM
Removing the Leadtek hsf is pretty easy, i've got the A400GT too.

first of all remove the card, lay it on it's bottom, so the fan grill is on the work surface. On the top, you'll see four screws recessed in the top heatsink in a square formation, each with a spring underneath it. just gently undo these screws anticlockwise until they lift off. Now at either side of the top heatsink, you'll see little white plastic clips, they loosely pin the top and bottom heatsinks onto the card. Get some thin-nose pliers and squeeze each of the clips at the ends of top heatsink, whilst gently pushing down on the clip, to pop them out of the top heatsink and free it. Don't try to remove the top heatsink yet.

Underneath the top heatsink are some sticky thermal pads, so flip the card over carefully, and lay it on on it's top now. The main bottom heatsink that's now facing up at you, with the grill etc, is easier to remove first. The main heatsink has four metal rods protruding through the PCB that those four screws we removed earlier were attached to. So gently ease the main heatsink away from the card at 90 degrees to the PCB, to prevent the four rods levering sideways against the pcb or any other components near the mounting holes. The main heatsink should be off, don't forget to unplug the fan. Now removing the top heatsink is a lot easier without those rods protuding into it, just give it a slight twist or lever it off with something soft like a plastic or wooden tool.

job done. :)

TeaEtchSee
05-11-05, 04:18 PM
Get the Zalman cooler :)

diklittleboy
05-12-05, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the reply guys.
myshkinbob thanks mate your reply was very detailed and informative.

I dont have a new HSF for it yet. Now i cant seems to decide between the zalman or nv5.

Thanks again guys,

dik

rohit
05-12-05, 03:35 PM
how do u kno its fan died..i mean any warning .. or messages as such..

diklittleboy
05-13-05, 06:33 AM
Yep it made the funny fan noises like i.e. ter ter ter ter ter ter hard to describe... sounds like the bearing is dying. Its not dead completely yet but im sure it will. Its making very loud noises now... it wasnt like that when it was new.

The last time my CPU fan made this sort of noises i didnt pay attention. When the sound finally went away i get BSOD for weeks... it turn out that the CPU fan finally died and the cpu got overheated.

rohit
05-13-05, 09:17 AM
k, i wanted to kno, since ive got the leadtek card, and if i notice any such noises, then i shouldnt panic.

diklittleboy
05-18-05, 07:12 AM
Hey guys just letting you know i have installed ZALMAN VF700Cu on my A400. What a difference!!! Its very quiet now. That stock A400 fan mustve spin at 7000 rpm or something.

Anyway my GPU now idle at 50C (previously 63 with leadtek HSF)
Load rthdribl at 56C (previously 72 with leadtek HSF)

I also notice ambient temperature drops to around 32C while previously it was around 46C idle.

Great heatsink!!

rohit
05-18-05, 01:24 PM
leadtek a400's fan spins at a v low rpm. it makes max sound of 28dB, which is inaudible, untill u are very close to it. so may be ur cards FAN mustve got spoilt much earlier

Richteralan
05-18-05, 07:15 PM
Anyway.....I did it :p