PDA

View Full Version : Best ever FPS and RTS games

zakelwe
05-11-05, 11:53 AM
If you want dungeons and dragons as well ( I don't know the acronym for those as I do not like them, sorry ..maybe MMMORRRPGH os some such :D ) then chuck that in as well

So what are the best

1) FPS
2) RTS
3) D&D

games in your view, and which have you enjoyed best ?

Regards

Andy

vX
05-11-05, 11:56 AM
Fps- Unreal Tournament ...damn good game. As old as it gets, I still continue to love it. =)

RTS - Warcraft 3, only cause its the only rts i've played =)

DD- Not into that stuff, but to each his own. =)

Edge
05-11-05, 12:20 PM
FPS: Hard to say, but I'd probably go with Natural Selection (Half-life 1 multiplayer mod). I sunk a lot of hours into that game, and even now after the initial flare is worn off, I still find it very fun. The original Half-life, Perfect Dark, and Halo are close contenders, though.

RTS: Total Annihilation. Never before has a game sucked me in like that one. I probably played that game for hundreds of hours, and back then I didn't even have internet, I only played in skirmishes against the CPU.

D&D: Err, I'm not sure what you mean by this...you mean D&D based videogames? Or just pencil and paper RPGs in general? If you mean PnP RPGs, then Shadowrun is definatly my favorite.

superklye
05-11-05, 12:24 PM
FPS: HL2
RTS: Starcraft + Broodwar
D&D: BG2, NWN, IWD2

Subtestube
05-11-05, 03:17 PM
FPS: Never gotten past Quake 2 I'm afraid. Other games that are 'better' have come out, but I don't think I got into any of them as much as I did with Q2. (Guess what my most anticipated game of the year is... ;))
RTS: Starcraft. I'd say Rome: Total War, but it's not really an RTS, even though it has real time strategy segments.
D&D: Never really played any I'm afraid.

oldsk00l
05-11-05, 03:19 PM
fps: spear of destiny
rts: Starcraft+broodwar

|MaguS|
05-11-05, 03:20 PM
FPS: Half Life or System Shock 2

RTS: Red Alert or Starcraft

D&D: BG2 or Icewind Dale

|JuiceZ|
05-11-05, 03:42 PM
FPS: Unreal 1

RTS: Starcraft

D&D: not my genre of interest...

OWA
05-11-05, 03:54 PM
FPS: Doom 3 although normally I say Unreal 1. I think I'm just in love with D3's graphics at the moment.

I don't play RTS or D&D games.

SH64
05-11-05, 04:05 PM
FPS : Turok "1"
RTS : C&C "1" (GDI vs NOD)
D&D : none & if you meant RPG then : Morrowind

OWA
05-11-05, 04:07 PM
What is Turok about (link)?

Edit: Actually, was that a dinosaur game?

SH64
05-11-05, 04:15 PM
What is Turok about (link)?

Edit: Actually, was that a dinosaur game?

Yeah actually its title were Turok : Dinosaur Hunter. it was on N64 first then ported to PC. let me get a link for you.
there :
http://gr.bolt.com/games/n64/turok.htm

OWA
05-11-05, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the link.

Seoulstriker
05-11-05, 04:30 PM
FPS: Quake I or Deus Ex
RTS: Myth, OMG.
D&D: Summoner

wshadow
05-11-05, 04:41 PM
FPS: Counter-strike (yes its fun and more realistic paced, and keeps the lan places open, altho swat 4 is cool)
RTS: Warcraft 2
D&D: Pool of radiance )commodore 64/pc(

superklye
05-11-05, 07:12 PM
FPS: Half Life or System Shock 2

RTS: Red Alert or Starcraft

D&D: BG2 or Icewind Dale
Good call. I totally forgot about SS2.

Edge
05-11-05, 07:23 PM
Does System Shock 2 count as a First Person Shooter? I didn't really think of it as one since the first-person combat was actually pretty poor, the best parts of the game were the atmosphere and RPG elements. But if it does count, I would change my vote to that.

|MaguS|
05-11-05, 08:24 PM
It should count, I mean it could be as fast paced as any other shooter if you put your points into firearms and save the early ammo till the later decks. I know my friends and I would split the jobs up, one would medic, one hacker and the other weapons. I never found the combat to be poor, it required work to be good but once there it was like any other shooter.

Riptide
05-11-05, 08:28 PM
FPS: The original Unreal. :)

RTS: Homeworld series.

superklye
05-11-05, 08:37 PM
Does System Shock 2 count as a First Person Shooter? I didn't really think of it as one since the first-person combat was actually pretty poor, the best parts of the game were the atmosphere and RPG elements. But if it does count, I would change my vote to that.
I say so...I mean, sure, there are RPG elements and stuff, but without that, it's just an FPS. So I would say it's an FPS+

SigmaOrionis
05-12-05, 06:33 AM
FPS- Undying

RTS- Starcraft

D&D- Baldurs Gate

SignorSalad
05-12-05, 11:59 AM
FPS) - Does counterstrike count? If not, then Half-life

RTS) - Myth, Myth 2

D&D) - Baldurs Gate 2 (honorable mention to Morrowind).

Rakeesh
05-12-05, 12:21 PM
Best FPS AND RTS: Natural-Selection (It fits into both genres more than any other game. Though bf1942 may be *considered* strategy, it doesn't come close to the depth of NS.) In fact it is so much of an RTS, that I think this is probably the only FPS in existence that absolutely depends on teamwork in order to win, whereas you can get away with no teamwork in e.g. CS or BF. Game engine may be outdated, but that game is fun as hell. I have spent countless hours on it every week ever since it first came out.

I assume D&D is for dungeons and dragons-ish games? Never been into that sorta thing.

Elderblaze
05-12-05, 02:36 PM
FPS oh my god how do I name only one? All of the recent WWII ones have been steller, Goldeneye 007 on N64 was great, Both Half life games, Undying was incredible, and how can no one mention the Star wars games, Lightsabers are really a hoot, i've enjoyed all the Star wars games dating back to the first Star wars FPS i forget the name. Jedi academy was fun as well.

RTS: Anything from blizzard WC1, WC2, WC3, Starcraft. Battle for middle earth was a nice single player experiance and had amazing map graphics.

D&D: Not sure what you mean here, I loved Diablo, Diablo 2, everquest, Zelda, Willow, there are more but those stick out the most. One thing that irks me in this field is when people say Diablo and D2 suck and then continue on to compare them to an MMO. They are 2 completly differnt genres and should not be compared at all. People say " I played D2 for 2 weeks and got bored" oh really? like any other game then? wtf did you expect?

Regards,
Mike

Edit: in fact the Action RPG segment is seriously ignored for some reason, I long for a new Diablo 2 type game. there's just nothing out there modern that is like it. It really sucks as I enjoy this genre alot. Guild Wars might be close, but I don't like the level 20 cap, and the fact that it's not gear based game so imo it dosent really fall into the D2 slay and loot uber **** catagory.

Subtestube
05-12-05, 03:06 PM
Alphawolf: You might be interested to play Savage - it's both an RTS and a... First/third person shooter, and even though it's only multiplayer, I can absolutely assure you that tactics and teamwork are essential. Awesome game.