PDA

View Full Version : Severe ROE performance problem

SigmaOrionis
05-11-05, 08:59 PM
I dont know if its the 1.2 patch or the expansion itself.

Settings I use:
1024x768
2xAA
High Quality in game
High Quality in drivers

These are not demanding settings but I get very bad slowdowns in quite a few places. I'm talking into the low 40s. The worst though is when I am fighting the lightning demon in the phobos labs. If I use the artifact that gives berserk and timeshift and then pull out the rocket launcher and start firing. My framerate drops into the single digits. I mean this is a total slideshow.

Doom3 ran smooth as silk no matter what was going on on the screen. I never saw my framerate counter dip below the locked in 60.

Anyone else experience this? I mean the graphics are better in the expansion you can tell they are using a lot more light sources but come on.

--Just wanted to add that at these settings running the timedemo demo1. This is what I get on the second run.

Patch 1.1= 80.3 FPS
Patch 1.2=77.3 FPS

Riptide
05-11-05, 09:17 PM
Yes, I have seen the game completely freak out and turn into a slideshow in more than one spot. Check my specs, it is not my machine. I have a friend with a 3500+ / X800XTPE and a gig of OCZ - his system also experiences extreme slowdowns in spots.

I appreciate that ROE might be marginally better looking than Doom3, but not THAT much better. When other games that are heavily demanding (HL2, FarCry) don't have that problem then what do you blame? The game.

Hopefully patch 1.3 will fix some of these issues.

DaveW
05-11-05, 10:06 PM
I had performance problems with ROE until I updated to the 76.44 drivers (I was on 6 something before).

holmes
05-12-05, 07:00 AM
I experienced some ugly slowdowns with RoE in outdoors areas. After turning off 2xAA everything was all good again for the most part. This game will push your system a little more than Doom3 ever could, so expect some slowdowns every once in a while. With Quake4 coming we better start getting used to it or get a G70...

Superfly
05-12-05, 07:14 AM
never had even a hitch - im running 76.91 (Dev) drivers, 1280x1024, 2xAA, high Quality settings.

both looks and runs flawlessly.

Superfly
05-12-05, 10:02 AM
can you post a fraps screenshot while playing doom3roe outdoors?

simple answer is yes of course :)

might take a me a while though as I only just re-installed ROE following a format.

day or two OK with you?

thx.

OWA
05-12-05, 11:19 AM
Playing at 1280x1024 with 4xAA/8xAF, I definitely fell into the upper teens and 20s during certain sections of RoE.

SigmaOrionis
05-12-05, 05:41 PM
Superfly,

I would like to see a screenshot of you fighting the lightning Phobos demon.

Take the shot when he is drawing power off the reactors with the lightning flying, then use the artifact and start attacking with the rocket launcher. I guarantee you will drop into the single digits.

I tried the same scenario on my friends computer with my save game and he had the same exact thing happen dropped as low as 5, Yes thats 5 FPS. :eek:

I realize that this is worse case scenario and normally you wouldnt be attacking the demon at this time because he is invulnerable. It just makes me wonder what the future holds for my 6800GT. On the bright side though games graphics are just getting better and better. Pretty funny to think that about 8 years ago I was blown away by Duke Nukem.:)

P.S. Another part of the game that put a beating on my comp was when you were down in the sewer tunnels with the hazard suit on and using the artifact.

Superfly
05-13-05, 05:25 AM
OK - I cant be bothered to play my way to these levels - can one of you guys post the console command to level jump.

thx - wil be MUCH quicker that way seeing as I have'nt even re-started ROE yet.

thx.

OWA
05-14-05, 12:29 PM
For Doom 3 is was "map" (e.g. map game/cpuboss) but I'm not sure that works for RoE since I don't see a map directory for it.