PDA

View Full Version : Tired of Onboard Via audio, need new sound card

shaker718
05-12-05, 11:22 PM
so i reformatted my compy this morning since it was feeling a little sluggish and things were just weird with the set up, only to no longer be able to use my surroundsound set up (front and sub dont work). I tried many different drivers and no go, so I say the hell with it Im getting a sound card cuz Im tired of always having some sort of issue with audio on my a8v deluxe.

I need a decent card, under 100 preferably under 60 bucks, good for sound recording and playback(this is top of the list), and one that wont give me too hard a hit on frame rates in games (mostly i play HL2 and Counter strike). I was thinking a Turtle beach Catalina... but I'll wait to hear what you all have to say. :)

jAkUp
05-12-05, 11:26 PM
Audigy. EAX3, smallest CPU overhead. Just make sure you DL the drivers rather than use the Bloat software that comes with it.

wshadow
05-12-05, 11:42 PM
i say use the bloat software, makes everything work well, settings and stuff

Pandora's Box
05-13-05, 12:02 AM
well you need to set a priority:

either high fps in games with excellent sound or reasonable fps in games with reasonable sound (no EAX support). The audigy 2 (yeah make sure its a version 2 card) is the king in gaming while say a m audio revolution might be your best bet for playback but its not that good in games. the audigy 2 however is no slouch when it comes to playback.

shaker718
05-13-05, 12:23 AM
my priority is audio recording and playback. games are nice but I work more (video editing, sound production) on my computer than I play.

SLippe
05-13-05, 12:37 AM
Creative all the way...Audigy 2.

seeker010
05-13-05, 12:41 AM
my answer is no surprise, I recommend them all the time (assuming you need surround sound):
Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1

much better ASIO and sampe rate support than any audigy, period.

lostark374
05-13-05, 01:07 AM
m-audio without a doubt

Smokey
05-13-05, 01:56 AM
If sound quality outside of gaming is highest on your list, then M-Audio. I havent heard an M-Audio card myself, but I read a lot about different soundcards etc, and for sound quality, M-Audio always comes out above the Audigy series, except fot the Audigy4, which is out of your budget.

shaker718
05-13-05, 01:56 PM
got the M-audio 5.1 soundcard, so far Im very happy
thanks for the info you guys.

wheeljack12
05-13-05, 05:07 PM
I'm with the creative guys here. Why can't the other companies get the idea of on card sound processing.

Shamrock
05-13-05, 09:12 PM
dang, Turtle Beach has gone downhill THAT much? I was expecting TB to really be favored here.

BTW, I have Audigy 2 and hate it. Although I now use Audigy 2ZS drivers, which makes up for some of the hatred. Audigy drivers really suck.