PDA

View Full Version : Is it normal for PC to... (CPU-Z question)

lostlilchild66
05-13-05, 03:40 AM
Is it normal for my PC to lockup (sometimes with a weird sound glitch), restart, or stop responding while I open up CPU-Z and I'm in the middle of listening to music or something? This happens with my CPU OC'ed and at stock... I'm starting to think it's normal. Any input would be awesome :)

Superfly
05-13-05, 05:45 AM
never happened to me - ill check later though.

betterdan
05-13-05, 06:47 AM
That happened to me once. I sold the computer and our house. I then moved into an apartment and bought another computer. This seems to have helped as i haven't gotten a lockup since. Oh I forgot I also had a pancake on my head the whole time i was doing this.:)

Riptide
05-13-05, 07:47 AM
That definitely is not normal. Try a different version of CPU-Z and see if it does anything to help.

jAkUp
05-13-05, 10:40 AM
Yup I have never had mine restart or freeze either...

lostlilchild66
05-13-05, 12:05 PM
My CPU is probably going bad =P

Riptide
05-13-05, 12:11 PM
Run prime95 and do some testing both on blend and also the CPU intensive test. If it passes your CPU is probably fine.

lostlilchild66
05-13-05, 12:17 PM
Run prime95 and do some testing both on blend and also the CPU intensive test. If it passes your CPU is probably fine.

Did that last night, which is what has me baffled :(

I ran the PRime 95 Torture test all night while I slept.. and while it was running, I did a SuperPI 32m test... so it was doing the SuperPI test while running prime95 all night, and when I woke up.. the PI test had finished and prime was still running :confused:

$n][pErMan
05-13-05, 02:07 PM
Is it normal for my PC to lockup (sometimes with a weird sound glitch), restart, or stop responding while I open up CPU-Z and I'm in the middle of listening to music or something? This happens with my CPU OC'ed and at stock... I'm starting to think it's normal. Any input would be awesome :)
No .. but I did get a wierd popping sound when playing an MP3 while CPU-Z was opened once. But never a reboot.

jAkUp
05-14-05, 02:21 AM
Bump your DDR voltage up to 2.8v and see if you still have stability issues... you are running 4 sticks of ram... Generally you want more volts for more ram.

Riptide
05-14-05, 07:38 AM
A small boost in vcore might be worth trying as well. IMO if it passes Prime and SuperPi then your CPU is fine. In fact if games work just fine as well then I wouldn't even bother worrying about it. It's possible CPU-z has some sort of bug that is showing up on your system. That seems unlikely but it is possible.

lostlilchild66
05-14-05, 04:52 PM
Well, I'm gonna just try a new sound card. I'm going to switch to onboard audio first, and if that fixes my issue, then my Sound Card might be failing. The my sound actually squeels until i restart my PC. We'll see what happens... I even went to stock CPU speeds and voltages, and I still get the weird errors in CPU-Z. Heh, weird :P

jAkUp
05-15-05, 10:27 PM
Thats what you get for running 4 sticks of ram :p

Try pulling 2 out, and just see what happens. Might be a bug with CPU-Z and 4 sticks.

betterdan
05-16-05, 07:06 AM
On my Intel system I had Intel's temp monitoring program running and if I opened CPU Z sometimes it locked up the computer. I know it is because of the monitoring program because if I shut it down before opening CPU Z it solved the problem. I uninstalled the Intel program a while back so I don't know if they ever fixed that or if it was just some weird bug only I had.

latinmike
05-17-05, 02:19 AM

as far as your sig.of your gig. looks like you have a o.k. gig. maybe there something else wrong with it did you desable your antivius when you installed CPU-Z?.

$n][pErMan
05-17-05, 01:36 PM
as far as your sig.of your gig. looks like you have a o.k. gig. maybe there something else wrong with it did you desable your antivius when you installed CPU-Z?.
You don't install CPU-Z ... you just run it as an exe file... there is no install.

latinmike
05-19-05, 12:05 AM
[pErMan']You don't install CPU-Z ... you just run it as an exe file... there is no install.

hi there, I most say that anything like that you put in your computer is a program and CPU-Z is a program or should I say a monitor program to monitor your system data ect. and if you do w/your antivius it could get mested up :cool: :D :) :rolleyes: :cool: :eek: :eek: .

latinmike
05-20-05, 10:08 PM
[pErMan']You don't install CPU-Z ... you just run it as an exe file... there is no install.

any file w/.exe meaning excute is installing :cool: