PDA

View Full Version : Video card & DirectX

deinabog
05-13-05, 05:24 AM
I have Asus's V9999 GT GeForce 6800 GT card. I have the latest reference drivers from nVidia's along with Asus's "enhanced" driver; this way I can use SmartDoctor.

My problem is random reboots when playing Painkiller. I thought it was the game (for which I have the latest patches) but that's not case. I was running DxDiag and my machine rebooted before it finished running the DirectX 7 suface test (the giant spinning cube). So I've isolated the problem to my DirectX install. For the record I have Windows XP Professional installed with Service Pack 2 and all of the drivers and updates. None of my other games (Quake, Quake II, Halo, Jedi Acabemy, Jedi Outcast, Doom 3, etc) reboot my system this way. Reinstalling DirectX 9.0c does not work.

Any suggestions about what to do? This never happened with my GeForce FX 5950 Ultra card (also from Asus). Is it my shiny new GeForce 6800 GT card (I hope not)? How can I fix my inability to install DirectX? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Muppet
05-13-05, 06:26 AM
First of welcome to the forums.Tell us your system specs, it sounds very much like an underpowered PSU from what i've seen in a lot of other posts.

deinabog
05-13-05, 09:28 PM
My specs are below:

Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
Intel Pentium 4 Prescott @ 3.2GHz (non-overclocked)
Asus V9999GT GeForce 6800 GT video card
2GB of Crucial PC32000 ECC memory
Five Seagate hard drives (configured in 2 RAID o arrays)
SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum sound card
Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 set
Antec TruePower 550-watt PSU
Antec Performance Plus AMG case
Floppy Drive
Modem
TV tuner card

That's all I can think of right now.

Vagrant Zero
05-13-05, 09:43 PM
It's not a powersupply issue. If it were you comp would reboot during D3 for sure. Sounds like a driver problem, try uninstalling your current drivers, running Driver Cleaner, then installing another set. Try the 67.66s [video card drivers], they're very stable.

deinabog
05-14-05, 09:01 AM
Thanks for your input. I figured it was a driver issue-I've been building and upgrading PCs now for 8 years but I know when to ask for help-so I'll try to get this resolved some way. Interesting that it effects only Painkiller; my older games are fine. Even my other 'new' games run fine (Doom 3, Half-life 2, et al). Guess that's one of those pesky PC problems huh? As long as I can play Quake 4, Dungeon Siege II, and Prey I'll be fine :afro:.