PDA

View Full Version : graphics card problems - please help

Fiona
05-13-05, 09:56 AM
im new to here but have had a major problem with my NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 graphics card, basicall my pc got a major virus a month ago and had to be wiped clean and started over, since then i have tried everything to re-install my graphics card but to no avail.
i go onto the DXDIAG and run the 'Test Direct 3D' and keep getting all of these error messages

Direct3D 7 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x887602eb (error code)
Direct3D 8 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8876086a (3D not available)
Direct3D 9 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8876086a (3D not available)

I cannot play any of my games on the pc anymore now as it keeps saying 'failed to create 3D device' - i have tried re-installing the drivers and directX but cannot get passed this problem and dont wish to have to put pc into the shop for repair if i can resolve the problem from home.

any advice is greatly appreciated - this is my last hope :surrender

rohit
05-13-05, 03:55 PM
did u reinstall the OS. which OS u hav. post ur system config.
also, have u installed the proper drivers..latest drivers. did it workk fine befor the virus thingy happened.?

SH64
05-14-05, 08:27 AM
Most likely its a problem with the DX drivers .. try reinstalling the lastest DX9.0 version which is DX9.0c.
if that didnt work then you might need to reinstall your OS from scratch.

Fiona
05-14-05, 01:12 PM
thank you both for your replies. Yes my graphics card worked perfectly before my pc got the virus. I have tried reinstalling directX numerous times but it still wont work. I dont have a disc for my graphics card but have been online to try to get the latest drivers - still wont work.

When my pc got rebuilt after the virus my operating system was resinstalled. everything else works perfect on my pc but i just cant get the direct3D to work or any games and i spent 6 hours on it yesterday trying to resolve the problem but cant think of anything else to try.

rohit
05-14-05, 01:17 PM
please post the remaining config of ur comp. like cpu, motherboard, ram etc etc.
it seems like windows is unable to detect the 3d device.
did u install the motherboard drivers?

what operating system u r using, win xp or win 98se or win 2000?

Fiona
05-14-05, 01:54 PM
i use windows ME, AMD Athalon XP 2400 processor, 256 MB RAM, and i think the motherboard is AMD-VIA Series but not certain how to check.

As far as i know the motherboard and everything was re-installed correctly as we got a computer 'expert' out of the paper to fix it for us but when i called him back out about the graphics card problem even he didnt know what to do and tried to make me buy another grapics card off him for 50 but our graphics card is only one year old so im reluctant to get a new one.

Slyder
05-14-05, 03:04 PM
Have you installed the latest motherboard drivers ?

My current board used to detect my FX5700 as PCI untill I installed the VIA Hyperion driver set.

Fiona
05-14-05, 03:09 PM
as far as im aware the motherboard has been installed correctly but im not knowledgable enough to try to install it again or know if it has been installed right.

i can take my pc back to where i bought it and got it upgraded but that will cost but looks like my options are very few so may have to do that as its sure got me puzzled

AnimasterZ
05-14-05, 09:54 PM
This sounds like a similar problem that I had with my via chipset. Via's agp/pci busses dont work properly with out the proper drivers. win ME is new enough that it should already have the pci bus driver installed. if Windows could not find the proper AGP bus driver for the system it installs ageneric one for the older via chipsets that works for 2d but doesnot work for 3d because it cannot initalize the driver to interface corectly.

http://www.viaarena.com/downloads/drivers/4in1/VIA_4in1_443v.zip

Try this driver package from VIA it should be the correct set of drivers for your agp bus seeing as it was released about 1 year after ME came out. :cool:

It conatains the AGP bus drivers and a few other drivers that allow windows to better access the resources of your mobo

rohit
05-15-05, 01:21 AM
ya get those VIA 4in1 drivers. install them.
and then uninstall your video card drivers (the nvidia drivers). restart computer. then install your video card's drivers.
This should work

Fiona
05-15-05, 09:29 AM
:o
Thank you all very much.

AnimasterZ - the link worked perfectly and now my graphics card is working like it used to and all of my games are working too.

Thank you to everyone who replied to me and helped me to resolve this matter - i cant thank you all enough as i was at the end of my tether with it before but now - thanks to you all - it is working perfectly.

Thanks again

a very happy Fiona

rohit
05-15-05, 02:40 PM
good its working fine. enjoy now.

Fiona
05-15-05, 06:34 PM
thank you - i will do