PDA

View Full Version : 6800GT and X800XL

Slab-O-Beef
05-13-05, 12:46 PM
My old system(Abit AI7, P4 3.0E, 1gb Geil dual channel, X800XL agp) vs my new system(Abit AN8, Athlon64 3200, 1gb Mushkin dual channel, 6800GT pcie). The 2 systems benchmarked similar, but as far as gameplay goes, the 6800GT is smooth as glass in all of my games, where my X800XL chokes sometimes, or just isn't smooth like it should be. As a matter of fact, I just wasn't too impressed with it after upgrading from a 9800pro. Not sure if the XL being agp is where it's choking like that, or just the gpu itself. The XL looked impressive in 3DMark03, and 05, but doesn't perform like the 6800GT in games. I know I'm comparing agp to pci express, but even when the fps is high with the XL, it just doesn't look as smooth as the 6800GT. Anyone else notice this, or is this just with the agp version of the X800XL?

Buenamos
05-13-05, 12:51 PM
I know when I moved from my P4 2.8 @ 3.4 to my 3400, everything reallllly smoothed out. When I made the move I didn't change my video card either so I know for me it was the CPU that made the difference. So for you it could be either the video card or the cpu.

Slab-O-Beef
05-13-05, 12:53 PM
Yeah, that could be then, I didn't think there would be that much of a difference, since the sinthetic benchmarks were so close.

Acid Rain
05-13-05, 01:25 PM
Synthetics these days are not AT ALL indicative of gaming performance. 3Dmark is pretty much just a techdemo now. Often, when a company optimizes heavily for the synthetics in a driver set, gaming performance stays the same, or sometimes even dips.

As far as AGP vs PCI express being a bottleneck for you, the answer is a resounding "NO". PCIe is currently only usefull if you are doing video editing and such, or if you are tapping it with SLI.

As it stands, PCIe's return bandwidth is not usefull in games at all, as games are almost always sending data to your card, and not from your card to your system. From system to card, AGP 8X bandwidth is the same as PCIe.

Hope my dreary eyed response is understandable!

vX
05-13-05, 01:42 PM
Yea, the smoothness was worked out thanks to the upgraded cpu. If u put the 800xl in your amd64 system, I bet the stuttuers will be gone. =)

j0j081
05-13-05, 04:29 PM
Synthetics these days are not AT ALL indicative of gaming performance. 3Dmark is pretty much just a techdemo now. Often, when a company optimizes heavily for the synthetics in a driver set, gaming performance stays the same, or sometimes even dips.

As far as AGP vs PCI express being a bottleneck for you, the answer is a resounding "NO". PCIe is currently only usefull if you are doing video editing and such, or if you are tapping it with SLI.

As it stands, PCIe's return bandwidth is not usefull in games at all, as games are almost always sending data to your card, and not from your card to your system. From system to card, AGP 8X bandwidth is the same as PCIe.

Hope my dreary eyed response is understandable!
plus even our newest cards run fine at 4X AGP. 8X AGP is no where near being maxed out yet and the way things are going to PCIe probably never will be.

Slab-O-Beef
05-13-05, 06:39 PM
Yeah, I'd love to find out how the XL works in this amd sys, if I could get my hands on a pci express version.

Slab-O-Beef
05-13-05, 06:41 PM
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I've got the new Venice core Athlon64 3200. Don't think my bios supports the new features though.