PDA

View Full Version : monitor driver for x64???

j0j081
05-15-05, 08:26 AM
Do I need to install a monitor driver for XP 64? I plan on giving it a run this afternoon and would like to know what to expect ahead of time. I have a Samsung 997DF CRT so I doubt there is support yet.

garikfox
05-15-05, 12:10 PM
I use the same monitor, and use x64, samsung hasnt yet released a driver. So what I did was put it manually too 950DF then just used sRGB color management profile. :)

jAkUp
05-15-05, 01:58 PM
I use an NEC monitor, and NEC have not released a driver also. The standard Plug and Play monitor drivers work great though.

j0j081
05-15-05, 05:56 PM
I use the same monitor, and use x64, samsung hasnt yet released a driver. So what I did was put it manually too 950DF then just used sRGB color management profile. :)
Okay thanks. What's the advantage of installing the driver for 950DF over the standard monitor driver?

jAkUp
05-15-05, 06:12 PM
I really don't know, I never really noticed a difference going from the Plug n Play driver to the NEC driver. I have no clue what it does, but I always installed it just for the hell of it ;)

jolle
05-16-05, 05:14 AM
hehe, I have been waiting for Nokia to put out a XP driver for my 19", been using a noncertified 2K driver for it, which works fine..
wonder if that would work in XP 64.. prolly not..

Only differences I noticed is that PnP sometimes shows the wrong Refreshrates for a resolution, either lacking one or showing one too high, compared to the real driver..

Annihlist
05-16-05, 05:27 AM
"Installing Undecorated INFs on X64-based Systems
The following workarounds can be used to install undecorated INFs on x64-based systems. These workarounds are intended only for use on test systems and are not recommended for production drivers.

Method 1. Turn off the undecorated models check for AMD64. To turn off the undecorated models check for AMD64-based systems only, create the following non-zero numeric registry value:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Set up:
REG_DWORD: DisableDecoratedModelsRequirement
"
Source http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/driver/install/64INF_reqs.mspx.

If you can't install install monitor do the following, it worked for me for my Mitsubishi Dimond plus 93sb. Before the profile wasn't correct in the registry and I couldn't use Reforce to lock my refresh rate.

Riptide
05-16-05, 10:12 AM
Installing the monitor's native driver I believe just provides a color profile. I may be wrong but beyond that I don't think there's much benefit.