PDA

View Full Version : PC Power and Cooling's New Site

jAkUp
05-15-05, 07:54 PM
http://www.pcpowercooling.com/home/

Have good info about powersupplies in general, did not know this little fact at all:

2. DON'T LOSE POWER WITH MODULAR PLUGS
Due to their look, convenience, and cost savings for manufacturers, modular plugs have become a popular power supply feature. Unfortunately, there has been little or no discussion of the impact of this feature on overall performance and reliability. The fact is, modular plugs limit power by adding to electrical resistance. The voltage drop can be as much as would occur in 2 feet of standard wire. Worse yet, modular plugs utilize delicate pins that can easily loosen, corrode, and burn, creating the potential for a major system failure. That's why pros specify uninterrupted wire!

Mehbody
05-15-05, 08:08 PM
Yikes. I wish I knew that when I bought mine.. :(

Roliath
05-15-05, 09:03 PM
I did not know that

Riptide
05-15-05, 09:22 PM
PC Power/Cooling is damn good but their turbo cool line costs some bank.

I also had no idea that modular configs could introduce that sort of problem. Glad I didn't buy one then I suppose. :)

Roliath
05-15-05, 09:33 PM
Since finding this out, I'm starting to consider if I should sell my OCZ, and get a "ANOTHER" psu. damn

Rytr
05-15-05, 10:08 PM
I would not be too concerned. While hard-wiring is always preferred for good current flow, plugs are commonly used to connect and provide power to pc components as well as the motherboard. These 'loose' connections (plugs such as Molex) are subject to corrosion and hooking and unhooking can (and does) loosen the pins...and yes they do create a certain amount of resistance. I don't think it's necessary to change out a good-working power supply. Of course, if it causes you concern then that is your option.
I have had to change out a few Molex connectors because I am always changing stuff around. I have bent pins, pulled them out of socket, and otherwise damaged them. I have yet to see one corroded but maybe that will happen too. :D

The fact that these new power supplies have almost twice the connections, considering the plug-ins to the power supply, does generate concern. However, the power supplies in question still provide sufficient power, as demonstrated with current models.

GlowStick
05-16-05, 12:01 AM
Ah yes, great new looking site, and they needed it too!

On the modualr plugs, i figured that out, the reason why my pump would change ptich all the time is becuase it would some how losen and plug back in. Glad i got my PCP&C i love it!

Viral
05-16-05, 02:23 AM
Too bad they aren't available here. I would happily buy one otherwise..

Son Goku
05-16-05, 03:09 AM
Besides, if one uses a Y-splitter (I have to use some for my fans...to many dang wires to connect) one would be using plugs, and cable splitters anyhow... I'm sure a Y-splitter could have more over-all effect, not only due to the plug, but same as would happen when plugging an extention cord into the wall outlet and then plugging more then 1 thing into a single socket...

All said, I sorta wish I had a modular power supply in my comp now. Let me put it this way. My CD changer has gone bad, but for the love of god, the fricken molex connector is stuck into the stupid drive. I have no way to remove it, without taking the drive out, and can't take the drive out unless I remove the whole PSU and unplug everything. There's also not enough slack to get it sufficiently out of the case to get better levarage on removing the thing. It also wasn't put in the back of the drive n the standard way, but attaches to a daughter board that extends beyond the back of the drive, at a 90 degree angle from how it would normally plug in. The connector is also flimsy, and I have the feeling if I tried to force it with it in the comp, the connector would break off, before the molex connector would come unstuck... :eek:

The PC Power and Cooling is what I was looking at, though with any PSU it would be good to check the thing out before buying...

Strahd
05-18-05, 02:07 PM
http://www.pcpowercooling.com/home/

Have good info about powersupplies in general, did not know this little fact at all:

In my wanderings for a new PSU and asking around for suggestions on here, I ran into that little piece of information and decided to get the OCZ powerstream instead of the mod.

I thought everyone knew that and I was the only one trying to catch up :)

Doh!

-=DVS=-
05-18-05, 11:04 PM
Nice site , old one was cheap :p

SigmaOrionis
05-19-05, 12:00 AM
2. DON'T LOSE POWER WITH MODULAR PLUGS
Due to their look, convenience, and cost savings for manufacturers, modular plugs have become a popular power supply feature. Unfortunately, there has been little or no discussion of the impact of this feature on overall performance and reliability. The fact is, modular plugs limit power by adding to electrical resistance. The voltage drop can be as much as would occur in 2 feet of standard wire. Worse yet, modular plugs utilize delicate pins that can easily loosen, corrode, and burn, creating the potential for a major system failure. That's why pros specify uninterrupted wire!

Call me skeptical but it sounds like a lot of FUD to me. Obviously this company does not offer a modular power supply. Also companies that sell power supplies for the kind of money they do, rely heavily on doom and gloom scenarios. This makes people pay like twice as much "just to be on the safe side".

I went with a modular PSU. Works just fine for me. I will never go back to having a ton of unnecessary wires all over my case that I've got to route and hide.

Darkoz
05-19-05, 05:00 AM
Call me skeptical but it sounds like a lot of FUD to me. Obviously this company does not offer a modular power supply. Also companies that sell power supplies for the kind of money they do, rely heavily on doom and gloom scenarios. This makes people pay like twice as much "just to be on the safe side".

I went with a modular PSU. Works just fine for me. I will never go back to having a ton of unnecessary wires all over my case that I've got to route and hide.

I agree, I'd have to call bullsh it on that claim.
Seems to me it's just marketing hype, trying to promote their own brand of PSU.
If there's any truth in that at all, then everyone using a 'Y' splitter would be in the same boat.

Riptide
05-19-05, 08:39 AM
I'm sure there's some truth to what they're saying. Let's just say they're overstating the problem a bit though.

I wouldn't let this stop me from getting a modular power supply.

nutball
05-19-05, 10:28 AM
It all sounds like guff to me. People get waayyy too tied up in knots about power supplies IMO, and this is just a way to exploit peoples unfounded fears.

Kamel
05-19-05, 05:52 PM
i am not an electrical engineer (atleast not yet), but i know the real figures on the resistance made by connections. this resistance does not matter at all. the first and most necessary thing that you should note is devices inside a computer (cdrom, hard drive, etc) all expect dirty power. this means it's not going to be a very stable current, it isn't going to be exactly the same voltage it should be (may be less or more), etc etc. if they really felt so passionate about the resistance, they shouldn't use something with such high resistance as aluminum or steel, they should go with the real thing, gold. this is why the very old processors and computer components were made of pure gold.

besides all of that, resistance is over-rated. i've seen people go way out on a limb with mods to reduce resistance and i've never seen a single person give real life benchmarks that proved it was worth their while in the least bit.

on a final note, if you have voltage pots, increasing them (lowering the initial resistance on the rail itself) will completely negate the point of high resistance elsewhere. in order to transfer from 120volts to 12volts, you have to have a lot of resistance. in many cases, resistance is actually your friend even though that sounds weird.