PDA

View Full Version : Possible heat issue?

sonnyboy11
05-15-05, 10:17 PM
Hi guys. I recently put together a new system. I have a BFG 6800GT 256mb OC card. Rest of system is:

AMD 3500+
MSI K8N neo platinum nForce4 mobo
1 gig Mushkin 2-2-2
Soundblaster 24 bit
Windows XP Pro

Ok, so the first game I have tried is Half Life 2. While playing, the graphics start flickering and graphic corruption appears. It gets worse until I have to stop playing. I have tried 71.89 and the previous 3 archived Nvidia drivers. I double checked to make sure the power on the BFG is hooked up correctly (it is, I think). After some more experimenting I found:

-Opening case on one side and allowing a bit better airflow by turning case outward allows me to play HL2 for the most part. It still flickers a little bit, but not bad enough I cannot play. Is this normal? Is the card defective? I have noticed that Far Cry does not seem to do it but I have not tested that extensively yet.

One other thing, when trying to run nTune, I get this message:

---------------------------
nTune
Warning: Your PCI clock is currently set to track the HT bus. If you adjust the clock for the HT bus, the PCI bus clock will change as well. Please consult your motherboard manual to determine how to disable this behavior before proceeding.

NVIDIA is not responsible for data loss or hardware damage resulting from ignoring this warning message.
OK

I have noticed that nTune will lock up when clicking Tune my system performance. Not sure if any of this is related, and sorry to be such a n00b but thought I would mention it :)

Any help at all appreciated. I sure would hate to go through replacement hassle.

aZn_plyR
05-15-05, 11:01 PM
well, if opening the case and letting more air come in helps it..it's probably a heat issue..how's ur case airflow?

try and turn fastwrites off...test the card in another system..

and what's ur powersupply?

sonnyboy11
05-16-05, 02:40 AM
I have an Antec True550 ATX 12V 550W Power Supply.

No Fast Writes in BIOS because this is PCI express.

I will take the card into work tomorrow and have our compatibility lab guy try it in another system. Not sure if he got an nForce 4 SLI mobo in yet or not but it will be worth a try. I talked to BFG (gotta love a place with 24/7 tech support). The guy there had no ideas other than what I had already tried. They will replace it if they have to. Just want to make sure I am not missing anything first.

Any more ideas are welcome. Thanks.

sonnyboy11
05-16-05, 11:45 AM
One other thing- I checked the GPU temp right after quitting out of HL2 (it started doing the graphic corruption thing). It was at 79 degree C. That doesn't seem like it would be too hot...

|MaguS|
05-16-05, 11:48 AM
the temp drops almost instantly after a 3d app is terminated, you cant get a good reading of the temp by checking it after playing, it must be recorded during play. Use Rivatuner to do this.

sonnyboy11
05-16-05, 12:12 PM
Ok, I got it. Is there a quick way to get it to monitor the temp? I don't see an immediate setting for this in the program.

sonnyboy11
05-16-05, 12:14 PM
Found it. Thanks. I'll use it and see what I can find out.

sonnyboy11
05-16-05, 12:26 PM
Highest temp while playing for about 10 minutes was 89 C. Too hot?

rohit
05-16-05, 01:08 PM
very hot. replace it, i feel.

During HL2 mine goes 72 - 74

OWA
05-16-05, 05:46 PM
One other thing- I checked the GPU temp right after quitting out of HL2 (it started doing the graphic corruption thing). It was at 79 degree C. That doesn't seem like it would be too hot...
You can also just play the game in a window so that you can view the temps while the game is running.

sonnyboy11
05-16-05, 06:19 PM
That's a good idea. But Rivaware has that nifty record graph and it showed me where the card ran hottest. BFG feels 90c is within operating limits although their tech did concede that sounded a bit hot to him. I am going to try moving around some of my case fans after reading some of the archived posts here. I have feeling one of my case fans is blowing directly onto the GPU and that may be having an adverse affect on cooling.

Also, I have read posts here about some other VGA cooling solutions. Won't replacing that item void my warranty? At this point, I am reluctant to do that.

Last thing- the power connector on this card is the new 6-pin that splits off into two 3-pin adapters. Both of the two 3-pins need to be plugged in, correct? And can they be shared? Like with a DVD-ROM drive? Not sure about any of my problem being power related, but I want to cover the bases.

ChrisRay
05-16-05, 06:25 PM
89C is "Not" too hot for a 6800GT. Its "Well" within normal operating tempature margins. If the hardware is locking up at those tempatures its defective.

|MaguS|
05-16-05, 06:31 PM
very hot. replace it, i feel.

During HL2 mine goes 72 - 74

Not at all hot, 89C is decent with a stock cooler...

sonnyboy11
05-16-05, 07:13 PM
It's not locking up. I am getting major graphic corruption in HL2.

aZn_plyR
05-16-05, 07:30 PM
I would still say rma it...

NemesisChild
05-16-05, 08:21 PM
That's a good idea. But Rivaware has that nifty record graph and it showed me where the card ran hottest. BFG feels 90c is within operating limits although their tech did concede that sounded a bit hot to him. I am going to try moving around some of my case fans after reading some of the archived posts here. I have feeling one of my case fans is blowing directly onto the GPU and that may be having an adverse affect on cooling.

Also, I have read posts here about some other VGA cooling solutions. Won't replacing that item void my warranty? At this point, I am reluctant to do that.

Last thing- the power connector on this card is the new 6-pin that splits off into two 3-pin adapters. Both of the two 3-pins need to be plugged in, correct? And can they be shared? Like with a DVD-ROM drive? Not sure about any of my problem being power related, but I want to cover the bases.

They give you a split connector, depending on which adapter you use to connect to your PSU.
DO NOT connect both 3-pin connectors to your PSU!!!
Also, it's highly recommended that you use a dedicated +12v rail for the GT.
You may starve the GT of needed power if you use a shared +12v rail.

sonnyboy11
05-16-05, 08:28 PM
They give you a split connector, depending on which adapter you use to connect to your PSU.
DO NOT connect both 3-pin connectors to your PSU!!!
Also, it's highly recommended that you use a dedicated +12v rail for the GT.
You may starve the GT of needed power if you use a shared +12v rail.

Ok, although I have had it only connected to one and thought that may have been the cause of the problem. Guess not! :) Also, the rail connector is dedicated. Still, the directions were not as clear as I would have liked about that point. Pretty sure it states in the directions that it's fine to share a power connector with something else.

Follow up- it turns out this is incorrect information according to BFG. Both leads coming out from the external power connector on the card have to be hooked into the PSU. I had tried both ways and if you do not have them both hooked up, you get an error message telling you the card is not receiving enough power. They also recommend that the power cables both be dedicated but that sharing with a drive is ok if you must do it.