PDA

View Full Version : Random reboots every 24 hours or so....

surfhurleydude
05-16-05, 01:37 PM
Hey all,
I just got back from college and moved my computer into my parents house for a few weeks and ever since I got home the damn thing has started rebooting every day or so. specs:

Athlon 64 3200+ winny@ 2.4 Ghz 34 degrees C idle @ 1.525 Vcore
4 sticks of Kingston Hyper X 3500 RAM
Gigabyte KNS939 mobo
nVidia 6800 GT
Antec 430w TruPower supply

I'm at the desktop my GT is idling at like 73 degrees, i'm thinking that might be it... But the thing that is pissing me off the most is that this DID NOT HAPPEN until I brought it home. Everything would work absolutely fine, in fact I left it on for 11 days in a row at one point, and now it just reboots every 24 or hours or so and windows has a "serious error". Anyone have any ideas???? :(

surfhurleydude
05-16-05, 01:55 PM
OK I turned off automatic reboots and this time I got a BSOD when I let panda anti virus run while I was in the shower Error says:

STOP: 0x0000007F (0x0000000D, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I have no idea what the hell is going on :(

CaptNKILL
05-16-05, 02:02 PM
Look up STOP Errors on Microsoft's knowledgebase, theres probably some information there.

surfhurleydude
05-16-05, 06:11 PM
Just did it again while running Panda... this time it was another stop error but said "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"

Son Goku
05-17-05, 01:01 AM
It's been awhile, but that stop message (is it a STOP 0x0000000A) is like a page fault (access violation) except in kernel mode. Basically, some component that runs in kernel mode (protected mode, or at ring level 0 on the CPU as I remember), aka a device driver, the system's executive, etc is accessing memory it is not supposed to be, either to read it, or over-writting (for instance some over driver or what not). Some of the parameters (though you'd have to look this up in Microsoft's knowledge base or the resource kit, as someone suggested) will give further details, such as if it errored out during a read operation or a write operation, etc... There's 4 sets of numbers after the STOP message which have their own significance...

I started getting a lot of weird STOP messages many years ago (back when I was running Windows NT 4.0), that became more common. It also started including some weird one's (things that should have been fixed by SP3, and peeps were saying "you just shouldn't be seeing that now". Albeit, they didn't occur under a predictable schedule. Turned out the 64 MB DIMM in that computer had gone bad, but the 128 MB DIMM was still good.

But that it just occured after bringing it home... Anything different at home, such as the room's temp, perhaps the electricity isn't as constant (surge protectors can protect against power spikes like lightning, but do nothing with slight brownouts or power dips...), or anything? I'm assuming all your software is the same from before bringing it home, till after...

RLemmon
05-24-05, 11:57 PM
Hey all,
I just got back from college and moved my computer into my parents house for a few weeks and ever since I got home the damn thing has started rebooting every day or so. specs:

Athlon 64 3200+ winny@ 2.4 Ghz 34 degrees C idle @ 1.525 Vcore
4 sticks of Kingston Hyper X 3500 RAM
Gigabyte KNS939 mobo
nVidia 6800 GT
Antec 430w TruPower supply

I'm at the desktop my GT is idling at like 73 degrees, i'm thinking that might be it... But the thing that is pissing me off the most is that this DID NOT HAPPEN until I brought it home. Everything would work absolutely fine, in fact I left it on for 11 days in a row at one point, and now it just reboots every 24 or hours or so and windows has a "serious error". Anyone have any ideas???? :(
Might want to try a new power supply or check the ATX connections

vX
05-28-05, 11:54 PM
Yea, sounds like a power supply issue to me. If your card is running hotter, you're getting random reboots and you get bsod's as well when running apps, it seems like a power issue. I could be wrong, but it's my suspicion that's what it is.

EDIT: Another, more un-likely, but still a possibility is it may be a bad install of windows, that wouldn't explain the temps ( is the new room it's in hotter? ) but it would explain the reboots and error messages. Anyone mess with the pc while you were at college?

superklye
05-29-05, 12:03 AM
heh, man what is it with moving home from college? I was having all sorts of problems when I got back to my 'rents house last week. I had to reseat everything, but now it runs like a dream.

Son Goku
05-29-05, 08:15 AM
hehe, I used to have problems when moving the computer back into the dorm. One note here... At UNM, they wouldn't let people stay in the dorm over winter break or during the summer, so we had to move to the on-campus apartments and then back again. Mind you I don't really like moving and 4 times per year is just pants...

Anyhow, when we got back (in August) there was no A/C in the dorms at first. Without A/C down here in New Mexico...my comp had all kindsa probs with random errors and the like. The room was so blessed hot, my Pentium II (then) just didn't like it. But I had no choice but to run it. I had a number of computer programming assignments I needed turned in, and I couldn't just tell the teacher "dorm hot, computer not working right", so...

BTW, I also had the one PII 333 core stepping processor that had the lowest thermal tolerance (65 degrees C). And as the people I bought it from mentioned, exactly where does Intel place that. Where it will die, or start acting up and give the errors your seeing? Because a CPU could start malfunctioning (but without instant death and permanent damage) at a temperature point a bit below the one where it would out right die...and depending on which threshold Intel is using in placing that number in their core stepping info... Carol (who I also knew) also said "well you need to use it, if it dies, we'll just have to go back to Intel and deal with it from there...

Kojiro
05-29-05, 01:08 PM
It could be a power issue but before you jump in take out your powersupply, and insert a new one. Besure that power from the socket is good. This could be caused by a faulty ground (not connected to earth ground) on the power strip or the actual outlet.

It also could be a virus, now that your not in school, you can spend more time on your computer. Enough time to see the payload of a nasty virus.
Viruses can infest your computers for months without you knowing (if you don't got anti-virus). Not all viruses effect PC performance.

Use Spy Bot and avast!, they are free and very good.