PDA

View Full Version : PlayStation 3 vs. Xbox 360

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

ENU291
05-18-05, 11:28 AM
50,000 Yen ($469) in Japan. If you add the 35% mark up for the US market (as per PSP pricing i.e $190 vs $249) the PS3 will cost us over $600. At that price the PS3 is doomed!

Knot3D
05-18-05, 12:00 PM
Yep, the PS3 is doomed already :rolleyes:

Vagrant Zero
05-18-05, 12:11 PM
50,000 Yen ($469) in Japan. If you add the 35% mark up for the US market (as per PSP pricing i.e $190 vs $249) the PS3 will cost us over $600. At that price the PS3 is doomed!

That's not a valid comparision. The PSP markup came because Sony refused to sell the standard edition here in the states and instead opted for the value bundle. Typically, electronics are more expensive in Japan than the US. I think the PS3 will go for $400 at release.

evilchris
05-18-05, 12:23 PM
Playstation has had better games than it's competitors for 2 generations now. You'd have to be blind to think that is going to chane anytime soon. Moreso that the majority of "good" developers are Japanese and I doubt they're going to support the Xbox as much as the PS3. As for SquareEnix, they made games for the gamecube this generation...crystal chronicles....whoopdee freaking do. If SE makes a FFVII remake for PS3 it's game/set/match.

I disagree. There are no PS2 only games I want. However I wanted quite a few Xbox only games. I also disagree that "majority of good developers" are Japanese. Not everyone is into anime pr0n games with blue eyed asian chicks with DDD boobs.

gmontem
05-18-05, 12:49 PM
If SE makes a FFVII remake for PS3 it's game/set/match.

Didn't Sony or SE confirm that there will be no FFVII remake for the PS3? Since no other console brand was mentioned MS should take this opportunity to make a very generous offer for a FFVII remake on the Xbox 360.

Vagrant Zero
05-18-05, 01:01 PM
I disagree. There are no PS2 only games I want. However I wanted quite a few Xbox only games. I also disagree that "majority of good developers" are Japanese. Not everyone is into anime pr0n games with blue eyed asian chicks with DDD boobs.

Good for you. The majority of gamers however don't see it your way. And so far there's only been 2 xbox games I've wanted that haven't managed to make it to PC [yet]. Besides, it's not like American games are the second coming either, oh joy, another mindless Shooter/Warcraft ripoff. Yay...not.

Didn't Sony or SE confirm that there will be no FFVII remake for the PS3? Since no other console brand was mentioned MS should take this opportunity to make a very generous offer for a FFVII remake on the Xbox 360.

They also confirmed a few years back that they weren't working on anything FFVII related [back when the remake rumours were flying high]. Now look at them, 5 FFVII games plus a movie. I don't trust press releases. They're simply for the NOW, they never address the future.

As for FFVII on Xbox, I highly doubt it. Xbox would need to sell really well in Japan for that to become a possibilty. Of FFVII's 8 million sales [9.3 million shipped], 3.8 of that was in Japan. I doubt SE would cut out almost half their userbase like that.

evilchris
05-18-05, 01:08 PM
Gee, I'm sure upset I don't follow the "majority" of gamers. LOL!

The majority of Americans think rap artists have talent too.

oldsk00l
05-18-05, 01:08 PM
You don't want God of War?

I agree with you there except for that game. All the PS2 only titles I just weren't interested in until I saw that one.

Not that it's worth getting a PS2 for, but I'm sure hoping it makes it to PSP.

oldsk00l
05-18-05, 01:15 PM
btw

ENU, for your avatar....you picked a derivative of one of the worst console games ever made.

evilchris
05-18-05, 01:21 PM
btw

ENU, for your avatar....you picked a derivative of one of the worst console games ever made.

lol, I beat it in like 4 hours, what a POS. Button mash extravaganza.

ENU291
05-18-05, 01:22 PM
btw

*Off Topic* That might be true but I'm a Star Wars fan so the avatar stays!! :D

*Back On Topic*

aaahhh52
05-18-05, 01:29 PM
The majority of Americans think rap artists have talent too.

Now that is something i definetly agree on!

GamerGuyX
05-18-05, 01:39 PM
Not sure if this has been posted before or not but check it out:

Xbox 360 running at only one-third its power. (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/615/615667p1.html)

rohit
05-18-05, 02:00 PM
i am not much into consoles, the last console i eva had was the sega 8-bit with cartridge system. (LOL).
but from the articles ive read recently, PS3 appears to be better, not only because of the gaming power, theyve also made it more entertainment media friendly. it is more like a personal cinema + audio system+ a POWERFUUUL GAME system+Internet. people other than gamers, would also wanna have one.
it looks cool too, the silver one.
PS. i wouldnt be surprised if it will cost sumthing like $1200.
BTW, will the Titles for XBOX/XBOX360 run on ps3? and titles of ps2/ps3 run on xbox360?

Kickus_assius
05-18-05, 02:50 PM
Xbox 360 solely for the new Perfect Dark, I don't even care if that's the only game I get. Also very interested in Nintendo Revolution as you can download and play any game from NES, SNES and N64 in addition to all Gamecube and Revolution games.

I hate PS3, but the graphics do look amazing. I think the 360 is actually about the same cpu-wise since it is triple core with dual-treading per core and PS3 has 7 single thread cores. PS3 may be just ahead on graphics as the Nvidia solution may be faster, but the 360 does have 48 pipes on a new architecture which may prove to be faster.

killahsin
05-18-05, 03:20 PM

devil may cry is a pretty sick game

evilchris
05-18-05, 03:28 PM
I'll have to look at that one, a lot of you seem to like it.

Toss3
05-18-05, 03:32 PM
Xbox 360 solely for the new Perfect Dark, I don't even care if that's the only game I get. Also very interested in Nintendo Revolution as you can download and play any game from NES, SNES and N64 in addition to all Gamecube and Revolution games.

I hate PS3, but the graphics do look amazing. I think the 360 is actually about the same cpu-wise since it is triple core with dual-treading per core and PS3 has 7 single thread cores. PS3 may be just ahead on graphics as the Nvidia solution may be faster, but the 360 does have 48 pipes on a new architecture which may prove to be faster.

Um, sorry for asking, but how can you say that you hate the PS3? You've never even played on one :P it's like saying the next-gen gpu from nvidia will suck before even seeing one... Don't judge before they've both been released!

IMO they're both kind of equal, what the Xbox360 doesn't have in hardware, it makes up in time before the ps3 release. So I'll probably end up getting both.

The design of the xbox360 looks better in my opinion and I just simply love the white xbox controller, whereas the ps3 design really was a let down. But it will make up for it in hardware!

They both have some of the same titles, so graphics wise these games will look the same on the ps3 and the xbox360. The only games that'll look different are the titles coming only for one console, for example MGS4, Halo3, Gran Turismo etc.

But remember, that the release dates of these consoles are "far" away and the companies can still do some changes(I seriously hope that sony will change the controller design).

So the only thing we can do now is wait and enjoy the E3 and summer. Soon enough it'll be winter and you'll have your xbox360s and ps3s :o

Athena
05-18-05, 04:06 PM
The one thing that scares me the most about pre-release hipe is that some of the official info from these companies can be an out right lie and it does not seem to bother any one. I remember when the Dreamcast hit and on the same day Sony came out saying their PS2 would be 20 to 200 times more powerful because of the emotion engine. So the machine comes out a year later w/ tons of jaggies and Soul Caliber on the DC still smacks PS2 graphics in the head.
Not that that really matters but the people that did not buy a DC because they believed Sony's overly hopeful estimates missed out on some good fun games.
Anyway one thought in my head is just how many pixels are on an HDTV any way and given that number of pixels why do both the Xbox360 and the PS3 have to render like 10 to 50 times that number in real time? Maybe Nintindo is on to something, selling their box on the cheap and still having games look 4 times as good as the current best Xbox games. I have to admit, I would buy that if it was cheap enough.

Gaco
05-18-05, 04:30 PM
Seriously, PS3 isn't that all-mighty compared to Xbox360. Most of you don't even realize that the Killzone 2 demonstration wasn't even realtime, right?

GamerGuyX
05-18-05, 04:42 PM
Seriously, PS3 isn't that all-mighty compared to Xbox360. Most of you don't even realize that the Killzone 2 demonstration wasn't even realtime, right?

Link?

Besides, it's not the things that were pre-rendered that matters but the stuff that they showed that wasn't.

For example: Unreal Tournament 2007 and Fight Night.

Fight Night:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/1h3Wanderer/FightNightRound3_Pic-1.jpg

killahsin
05-18-05, 04:55 PM
you guys do realize that kill zone was very much mostly real time. From my inspections of the hd video of it the onl;y section that doesnt seem real time based on aliasing is the intro on the ships.

Gaco
05-18-05, 05:35 PM
Think logically, of cause it was not rendered realtime from PS3 hardware, thats simply impossible from this stage. Remember, the PS3 hardware is too on the alpha-stage, but Sony just chose to view most of their demonstrations as pre-rendered, while MS chose to show ingame footage all the way. There's no right or wrong method, because Sony only shows what is to be expected from the PS3 at the time of arrival. But notice that this also means, that the movies and screenshots from Xbox360 does not represent anything like the graphics we're gonna see when it's done. It's hardware and dev-kit is also just in the alpha-phase and we have only seen this, not predictions.

"Just saw Peter Moore speak on CNBC saying every 360 game at E3 is running on Alpha kits. Not sure if he meant the dev kits or the actual hardware. but the actual games are playable, unlike sony's tech demos that ran off high-powered PC's. (yeah, he took a shot at sony....which i thought was funny.) he also stated, once the beta kits and then the final kits come in... you will see the true power of 360."

Also:

"The best way to look at it is that, well it depends on which functions you're looking at, but in aggregate it's probably 30-40% of what the final product can do."
Rest of the mini-intervew at:
[URL]http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1817028,00.asp[URL]

Besides from that, I just know it secondhand from some fellas, one of my friends know, who are at E3 right now...

All I'm saying is just that it's still way too early to say anything about which machine will be most powerful.. But surely, none of them will "own" the other.

Gaco
05-18-05, 05:38 PM
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/616/616196p1.html

Great little sneakpeak on Perfect Dark Zero.

And btw, concerning 360's compatibility with old Xbox-games:

We are working very hard to get compatibility. Of course the prioritization in our technical work is in the leading selling games from the first generation, just like the PS2 didn’t run all PS1 games, it is unlikely we’ll ever be able to say the 360 will run all Xbox 1 games. I think there are some games if we get them to run that means many, many other games will run, and I think rather than give some statement that is either too conservative (because the engineers can do better), or a bold statement we can’t live up to, we thought we’d make our strategy clear that as we get further down the road and as our engineers do more work, the execution will speak for itself.

- http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000597043723/

gmontem
05-18-05, 05:42 PM
you guys do realize that kill zone was very much mostly real time. From my inspections of the hd video of it the onl;y section that doesnt seem real time based on aliasing is the intro on the ships.

Where do you suppose the HD video came from, a finished PS3 which I understand is non-existent or an underpowered dev box? Do you actually believe the dev box can render Killzone 2 in realtime at that framerate? Have you ever considered the likelihood that they used the dev boxes to pre-render those at 1080p and not at some ridiculously high resolution?

Serious Sam Second Encounter allows offline rendering of a demo file at any resolution and at any frame rate you specify. If I gave you a DivXHD 1080p, 60fps recording of SS:SE made from my lowly Radeon 8500, would you be fooled into thinking that it was recorded in realtime?