Specs are
AMD Athlon 3200+ 64
1GB 4x256 crucial xms
2X74GB sata raptors 10K
1x160GB PATA HDD
1 TDK 52X burner
1 NEC 3520A dvd/cdrw
Asus A8n SLI mobo

Ok, when Im installing xp on the sata raid drives. I am familiar with the f6 utiltiy to install raid. Now the drivers that were provided shows that both the nvraid class driver and the nforce storage controller are required. So I select both. I format the array, it sees the total size of the raid array. Boots into windows perfectly. Upon installing a few things, it bombs out when rebooting , disk failure, blah blah. Please insert system disk. Please keep in mind that the PATA and the SATA drives are hooked up when installing windows xp pro.
Now the PATA 160GB was my main hdd before. It was setup in two partitions. A C, and a D. C was for the OS, the D was for data, setups.exe's etc...
Also when the machine bombs out the f10 utility is showing the raid array as healthy. All the settings in the bios are ok.
Is the problem that the 160GB needs to be formatted, and wiped? Can I not install xp on a raid with a pata hdd installed? This is the initial problem that I am seeing. Can anyone shed some light on this for me. This is gettingvery frustrating.

Thanks! :)

H-street
05-17-05, 01:10 PM
i can't remember if the A8N raid bios has to be set as bootable in the raid settings..

go into the raid bios and make sure there isn't a switch that makes it bootable..

plague22
05-17-05, 01:55 PM
i can't remember if the A8N raid bios has to be set as bootable in the raid settings..

go into the raid bios and make sure there isn't a switch that makes it bootable..

Well, I have set the nforce nvraid array to start up. The problem occurs when my PATA drive is hooked up. I think for some reason, when you hook up the PATA it routes the ide as first boot, I think. But right now, I dont have the IDE hd installed and the array is working. But within the bios, I can set it to boot from the raid array. I think what I may have to do is format the 160gb and fdisk /mbr. Hopefully that will work.

wheeljack12
05-18-05, 11:22 AM
when you say it boots into windows, are you referring to it finishing the install of windows or can you reboot the machine multiple times after the OS finishes the install? Why I ask is that the OS should have created a Bootup menu to choose which OS (Sata raid or 160gb) to boot up from. Either make the drive a slave on the primary IDE or either Master or slave on the secondary controller. In other words, put the drive on a cable or setting where the 160gb drive wasn't when it was the OS drive. The problem is that the boot.ini shows it (go to msconfig) as a boot drive on the 160 and it may get confused by the two (sata and pata) boot.ini's. If that doesn't work, then format the drive. Just trying to save data.

Strahd
05-18-05, 01:12 PM
Well, I have set the nforce nvraid array to start up. The problem occurs when my PATA drive is hooked up. I think for some reason, when you hook up the PATA it routes the ide as first boot, I think. But right now, I dont have the IDE hd installed and the array is working. But within the bios, I can set it to boot from the raid array. I think what I may have to do is format the 160gb and fdisk /mbr. Hopefully that will work.

You are correct about the IDE drive becoming first boot device. You cannot set the sata raid as the first boot device (well you can but it won't take it) UNLESS you have the IDE drive connected and the bios recognized the ide drive. With the IDE drive connected, enter your bios and then set your sata raid as the boot device. After that, you will have no problems with your bios switching between raid and ide.

BrianG
05-18-05, 01:13 PM
Don't use the provided drivers on the Asus disk. Update the BIOS to 1006 or better and then download the nForce4 standalone from NVIDIA and make a disk using the SATA drivers bundled.

I had a helluva time geting XP to install on my system with the provided driver set. No likey, the XP install would kick me out once it came to time to load info onto the drives and just restart. The XP installer did not recognize that anything had been installed prior to the reset.