PDA

View Full Version : Next Gen Console Games Jump to $60

Pages : [1] 2

six_storm
05-17-05, 08:34 PM
Well, I've stumbled upon on rather interesting prices on the next gen console games. EBGames has a ton of XBOX360 releases for $59.99! Holy crap, do they really need to up the price on the games every time a new console comes out? Geez . . . .

Am_I_Evil
05-17-05, 08:38 PM
Well, I've stumbled upon on rather interesting prices on the next gen console games. EBGames has a ton of XBOX360 releases for $59.99! Holy crap, do they really need to up the price on the games every time a new console comes out? Geez . . . .

that's kinda lame....

i would understand for PS3 since they are using new technology for their games (Blu-ray, i would understand it but not like it) but X-Box 360 is using regular DVDs....

so that = teh lame....

six_storm
05-17-05, 08:39 PM
I also figured that M$ would drop their price on the original XBOX. I wouldn't mind buying a regular XBOX before buying the 360 . . .

Edge
05-17-05, 08:45 PM
Not surprising, due to the increasing development cost of games. Since virtually every game now has such huge budgets, something has to offset that cost. Price hikes are already being put into effect for PC games (Doom 3 and Half-life 2), so now it seems next-gen consoles have joined the bandwagon. However, EBgames might not be totally correct, they could be guessing on the high end so that people don't get mad if they put some up for $50 then then the retail price turns out to be $60. I'm expecting at least a few of the games will still retail for $50.

Oh, and actually they haven't been raising the price every new console. In fact games used to be substantially more, SNES and Genesis games were $60 easilly (some reached as high as $100), N64 games were $70. Now they simply have to raise it because of one production cost instead of another (development carts rather than the costs of making a cartridge).

killahsin
05-17-05, 08:50 PM
hmm my local eb has been charging 59.99 for NEW RELEASE console and pc games for a long time now lol. Well local when i lived in boston.

Grechie
05-17-05, 10:44 PM
ummm lol we wish our games were 60 buks, i mean here in australia, the games are 90 or 100 buks a game!, ($89.95 or $99.95) u guys would hate to live here then :P

killahsin
05-17-05, 10:58 PM
even australian born games are that expensive?

Subtestube
05-17-05, 11:53 PM
Just bear in mind that the Aussie dollar equates to... it must be about US80c? NZ$ = 72 US cents, and games here range from 90-100 new.

sytaylor
05-18-05, 02:24 AM
The AUS dollar only just beats teh candian dollar!

Game prices always get silly for a little while after launch, but midway through this generation publishers learned that a lower price point was really helping sales. If they launch this high, they would be foolish to stay this high.

BioHazZarD
05-18-05, 04:09 AM
damn thats expensive :(

Intel17
05-18-05, 05:30 AM
That's why the consoles are so cheap. I just hope PC games don't cost that much!

Vagrant Zero
05-18-05, 11:06 AM

What? Video Games have always been $50.

emailthatguy
05-18-05, 01:19 PM
not that its really going to matter so far this was the most pc light e3 first day probobly in e3 history. so from the looks of things, well have about 5 must have next year and thats it =(

evilchris
05-18-05, 01:20 PM
What? Video Games have always been $50.

How long have you been playing video games? They haven't always been $50.

Lfctony
05-18-05, 01:33 PM
Well, I got Halo 2 LE for 39.95 CYP which is about $87.5 USD. All other games are about 30-35.

LiquidX
05-18-05, 01:38 PM

Yep I remember paying $69 for Super Street Fighter II for the SNES which had a number of games way above $50 especially the RPG's which went for $59 and up. I remember FFIII (I think it was this one) being $79.

Also that $59 just might be a place holder because MS has not announced the price of either the sytem or games.

evilchris
05-18-05, 01:43 PM
Yeah, I remember Phantasy Star for my Sega Master System was $79. If anything games have been cheaper the past 10 years.

Vagrant Zero
05-18-05, 07:28 PM

The majority of my NES games cost me $50, with the occasional game selling for even more.

evilchris
05-18-05, 08:08 PM
You didn't like your orignal post?

Hello steeda,

Vagrant Zero has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Next Gen Console Games Jump to $60 - in the Gaming Central forum of nV News Forums.

This thread is located at:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50786&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:
Longer than you apparently. They've always been $50, with the occasional game selling for even more.

I've been playing games since 1978, and GAMES WERE NOT 50$ THEN. So you "apparently" haven't been playing very long.

evilchris
05-18-05, 08:13 PM
In 1982, for example, games averaged $9.99 - $29.99 each on the Atari 2600.

Vagrant Zero
05-18-05, 08:35 PM
In 1982, for example, games averaged $9.99 - $29.99 each on the Atari 2600.

In 1982 the console market was pratically nonexistent. There was no real video game market [console wise] until after the crash when Nintendo stepped in.

And NES games sold from 40-50, just like PS2 games today.

http://www.nesplayer.com/Editorials/pricesyester.htm

So again, video game prices have for the most part stayed stagnant. We're long overdue for a price hike.

evilchris
05-18-05, 09:02 PM
Sorry, you can't selectively ignore facts to support your position.

Vagrant Zero
05-19-05, 12:52 AM
Sorry, you can't selectively ignore facts to support your position.

Seems like you're the one that's ignoring facts.

Fact: 1985-2005 console games have traditionally been $40-50 at release with some exceptions [some less, some more]. You can choose to ignore that though, it's not that I expect you to fess up about being wrong.

Secondly, the major reason those atari games were so cheap is because the Video Game market crashed right around that time [not that it was ever doing all that well in the first place]. Go read up on your console history. :rolleyes:

Rakeesh
05-19-05, 12:42 PM
Seems like you're the one that's ignoring facts.

Fact: 1985-2005 console games have traditionally been $40-50 at release with some exceptions [some less, some more]. You can choose to ignore that though, it's not that I expect you to fess up about being wrong.

Secondly, the major reason those atari games were so cheap is because the Video Game market crashed right around that time [not that it was ever doing all that well in the first place]. Go read up on your console history. :rolleyes:

Unless I am mistaken, I believe he clearly mentioned that this was a period between 1978 and 1982. So this was just before the "crash year" (which was actually 1983-1984.)

That aside though, most game publishers put their games at a price point set specifically for the compulsive gamers. E.g. the people who "must" have the game first. There are a lot of them, and the developers make a killing off of this. Then after about six months or so the price begins to lower to reach the mainstream market.

ynnek
05-19-05, 02:08 PM
As long as they are quality games, I won't mind too much.. Yea, it sucks, but what are you going to do? not buy and play them?

This makes me more hesitant though on games "on the fence".. As in I'm not sure if I'm going ot get or not.. I hate buying a game, then after an hour or three afterwards, realize I hate it, and just threw $50 down the drain.