PDA

View Full Version : My name is Ed, and I am now a Mac user

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

saturnotaku
05-20-05, 02:33 PM
Although you probably could have figured it out by the change in my avatar and thread that called for a fire sale of my entire PC, I have switched to a Mac as my primary personal computer.

So why the switch? In addition to Tiger being one sexy OS, I've simply become the following:

1) Bored with PC gaming in general. There is nothing out currently that I'm interested in playing, and nothing in the future that piques my interest. All my $1,000+ machine has been doing is sitting as a Web surfing box and a Folding@Home client.
2) Tired of upgrading my machine for when those few games do come out. No more $400 video cards and so forth. Nearly 100% of my gaming over the last 3-6 months has been done on my Xbox and I've rather enjoyed it.
3) Noise, system and software maintenance. This Mac is virtually silent, it's wonderful. Plus everything (so far) just works. You install it, it finishes, you may have to reboot but programs do what they need to do. This is a slick overall package that didn't cost a fortune.

I got myself the 1.42 GHz Mac Mini. It was pretty much left stock except for the addition of an Airport Extreme card. I'm going to secure myself 1 GB of RAM in the next couple days and attempt to do the upgrade myself (with the help of a couple thin putty knives).

All my gaming needs will be fulfilled with my Xbox as well as the next-gen consoles. After 2 days of playing with the Mac, I do not regret this move in the least. Maybe I will down the line, but hopefully by that point I'll be making even more money and could afford to purchase another Windows-based PC.

Strahd
05-20-05, 02:50 PM
I wonder how long you can resist that OC urge with that MAC :)

Riptide
05-20-05, 03:05 PM
Curious, does the putty knife deal invalidate your warranty?

And are you going to run Folding@Home on your G4? I understand they do have a client for it. I'd hate to lose a team member. ;)

Either way, enjoy your computer. Tiger has been kind of a nasty release for some of the people that have upgraded, noowhere near as bug free as it should be coming from Apple. But I doubt you'll run into any problems given what you're using it for.

saturnotaku
05-20-05, 04:24 PM
Either way, enjoy your computer. Tiger has been kind of a nasty release for some of the people that have upgraded, noowhere near as bug free as it should be coming from Apple. But I doubt you'll run into any problems given what you're using it for.

I did try out the OS X client, but it is dog slow. We're talking 1+ hours to finish a frame. It might be due to lack of RAM, I'll have to see when I upgrade.

There were a lot of problems with the initial Tiger release, but they did come out with an update right away that apparently fixed most of the issues. Been 100% solid for me so far, though like you said I'm not doing terribly much with it.

Riptide
05-20-05, 04:25 PM
Ah bummer, wonder why the client is so slow. :(

Was it a 600 point work unit? That might explain it. ;)

zoomy942
05-20-05, 05:02 PM
i was wondering when your big announcement you mentioned in the sale of you pc thread, would happen.

mac huh? i always have a part of me that wants to toss my pc. it has chewed ta me for ages, but i just dont have the heart to do it. but i will say that i am a custom pc builder and style is one of the priorities that i push to customers.. and you cant touch the style of a mac.

pure beauty

Riptide
05-20-05, 05:11 PM
I personally could care less for the styling. I do appreciate the quiet though, which takes a bit of money if you want that sort of thing in a PC. Zalman reserator comes to mind.

Part of the reason the Powermac is so quiet is that it's liquid cooled.

Sazar
05-20-05, 05:51 PM
I personally could care less for the styling. I do appreciate the quiet though, which takes a bit of money if you want that sort of thing in a PC. Zalman reserator comes to mind.

Part of the reason the Powermac is so quiet is that it's liquid cooled.

:rofl

is it REALLY liquid cooled or is it just heat-pipes with liquid inside :D

Kamel
05-20-05, 08:35 PM
the mac is a great platform, and more and more people are realizing that every day.

glad to hear about your switch, i plan to get a mac in addition to what i have. i don't know that i would go and get rid of my pc totally, i mean, there's always linux :D lol

$n][pErMan
05-20-05, 10:07 PM
I love my machine.... I dont see why so many people have problems with Windows (expecially XP Pro). For the most part *knocks on wood* it has worked flawlessly for me. I also use linux and to be honest... I like both. :) I've also used Mac's and dont mind them either. But I would never trade my PC in for one unless I had a horrid amount of cash to burn :p

Son Goku
05-21-05, 12:23 AM
OK, all Mac jokes aside (actually I think many were the typical Mac user), back in the days of OS 6 and OS 7, I wasn't very impressed. (OK, the high school I attended used Macs throughout). OS X, is a different animal, pretty much using the Mac front end on top of BSD... Memory in those boxes was a bit low, but I don't know what the amount of RAM would be now.

So was it a 600 point WU? Those took my AXP 1900+ about 1 week to complete... Also what is the RAM in the thing, can you add more if it's a bit on the low side? I have heard that the OS X platform is starting to be considered for server use in some companies, so performance isn't ruled out...

Oh, and no jokes about water cooling by filing the comp case up with water and :D Kamel probably remembers that thread (as I posted a link to it on IRC)... That someone actually turned computer case into fish tank :D Some of the replies were all the more funny :D

AthlonXP1800
05-21-05, 12:32 AM
the mac is a great platform, and more and more people are realizing that every day.

glad to hear about your switch, i plan to get a mac in addition to what i have. i don't know that i would go and get rid of my pc totally, i mean, there's always linux :D lol

I read that big majority of people used mac because of OS X luxury looking sexier but only use to browse Internet, chatting, P2P files sharing, playing audio, clips, movies and not into playing games. If that you one of them then here no point getting a mac, you can running OS X Tiger on PearPC like I do now. :) People who developing PearPC done incredible job and latest version are huge improvement but the file system emulation write speed are 90% slower than a real mac and read speed mostly outperformed a real mac. Write speed will improve alots in the next 6 months. Install Mac OS X Panther and Tiger both took 1 hour on the latest version 0.4pre, that huge improvement over the first version 0.1 came out last year took 10 hours to install Mac OS X. Oh and it took 1 min from boot Mac OS X to the desktop, it seem much faster than boot a Quadro Mac.

http://img271.echo.cx/img271/4716/pear6og.png (http://www.imageshack.us)

Pandora's Box
05-21-05, 01:19 AM
eww its all big and fugly.

GlowStick
05-21-05, 01:43 AM
Yes, thats quite a big step down from a a64 3500+ 6800 gt pci-ex to a mac mini.

However, for web browsing etc that is fine. The only thing i dislike about the mini is its lack of video power, now that Apple is claimed (for the second time) that CoreImage works (but for real, not for fake like last time) you still cannot benefit from it.

id like tohear your expeirnces with it though, enjoy!

Alaa
05-21-05, 02:46 AM
reasons of switching are not enough for me..!

ynnek
05-21-05, 02:57 AM
Ugh. it looks like some bastard version of some x window client.

AthlonXP1800
05-21-05, 03:24 AM
Yes, thats quite a big step down from a a64 3500+ 6800 gt pci-ex to a mac mini.

Well Mac Mini use Radeon 7500, that the first generation Radeon, it 5 generations from Geforce 6800 GT to Radeon 7500, that huge step down but from next month it will be 6 generations when Geforce 7800 series launch. Apple doesnt know how to sell it, if Commodore still around, they will sell Amiga One Mini with integrated Geforce 6600 GT cooling with large passive heatsink outsell Mac Mini like hot cakes.

Gator
05-21-05, 04:56 AM
Well Sat, if you're happy than I'm happy for you. I mean from what I hear Mac users really do love their Macs and defend them to the end. But unless you are heavy into graphic design, sound editing, or video editing I just don't see the point. Even then there is certainly an abundance of PC media creation software available including the entire Adobe, Macromedia, Avid, and Cakewalk line. About the only software advantage Mac has is Final Cut Pro. But lets be honest, if you got a nice Athlon64 rig is there really anything you can't do on a PC? And I haven't had a stability issue in years, it's all about mixing the right hardware and software elements together, and not going cheapo generic on anything.

Like I said Sat, I'm happy for you... but I don't agree with your reasons for making the switch and I do see it as a downgrade... UNLESS your main interest was Final Cut Pro.

As for the quiet arguement, true most home built PC's are often loud... but your Mac and a new Dell or HP PC have something in common, they're factory made with super quiet factory cooling that is often adequate but not necessarily ideal or overclockable. Just some food for thought.

saturnotaku
05-21-05, 07:53 AM
I never once said this was an upgrade, I quite knew this was a complete downgrade in terms of overall performance. I mean, come on, a 1.42 GHz PowerPC has nothing on an Athlon 64 3500+. ;)

This machine is the cure for my compulsive PC upgrading habit. The only thing I'm going to have to do for my Mini is put in 1 GB of RAM. When the next-gen NVIDIA card comes out, I'd probably get that, an A64 4000+ or better, 2 GB of RAM, the list goes on and on. And for what? Something I would simply end up playing Half-Life 2 on because I'm so bored or uninterested in every other PC game that's out now or scheduled to be out in the next year? I don't play games multiplayer so that's not a consideration.

I thought long and hard about this, and I truly believe this was the best option for what I need in terms of personal computing. My Xbox will be my gaming source until I procure an Xbox 360 and any of the other next-gen consoles. There are far more games on my current and future consoles that interest me compared to PC.

PaiN
05-21-05, 07:59 AM
Ture, if your happy, more power to ya.....but its beyond me why you made the move to such a Mac system..??? If you wanted silent web surfing, you could have easily down graded your machine to do that.

zoomy942
05-21-05, 08:04 AM
i will agree on that one sat. i nmean, look at just the end of this year. a few okay games.. but things like that physics add-in card and creative making a new sound card. those are just things i'd have to buy and then use them for a while and then get something else later on. where does it end? it annoys me alot that things like the physics card are trying to hit the market. more money.. whereas witha console, deveolpers dont have a choice but to work with what you have sitting in your living room

Gator
05-21-05, 08:05 AM
...I don't play games multiplayer so that's not a consideration...I thought long and hard about this, and I truly believe this was the best option for what I need in terms of personal computing. My Xbox will be my gaming source...

Well that makes sense I suppose. I'm a UT99 and UT2K4 gamer; and a heavy audio editing and Photoshop user... so I gotta have a decent PC. I've been playing UT for years with no sign of stopping. But if you're not a multiplayer first person gamer, than yes you can easily fulfill your need to game with Xbox. Even Xbox has multiplayer first person games like Halo2, but it doesn't give the same feel for me. But I hear where you're coming from Sat, nearly ALL my other gaming needs are handled by my Gamecube. Indeed that is the beauty of consoles I suppose... the game maker tweaks the game to perform well with the console, where as PC games want more and more hardware specs.

Good luck with it bro, hopefully the Xbox line of games will keep you satisfied :cool:

Still... ashame you let go of such an impressive PC :(

Gator
05-21-05, 08:13 AM
...with a console, deveolpers dont have a choice but to work with what you have sitting in your living room

http://www.jcoolradio.com/smiles/yep.gifExactly. That's a definite advantage for the consumer.

Riptide
05-21-05, 08:14 AM
Well Mac Mini use Radeon 7500, that the first generation Radeon, it 5 generations from Geforce 6800 GT to Radeon 7500, that huge step down but from next month it will be 6 generations when Geforce 7800 series launch.Minor correction, it comes with a 9200 suck edition, not a 7500.

Gator
05-21-05, 08:20 AM
Minor correction, it comes with a 9200 suck edition, not a 7500.

Well... neither the R7500 nor R9200 are desirable cards... but since Sat isn't gonna game on it anyway it really doesn't matter. You could use Office, Photoshop, and the internet with no more than ATI Rage Pro or Nvidia Riva if you really wanted to.