PDA

View Full Version : New motherboard without having to reinstall windows xp pro?

aviljoen
05-21-05, 07:55 AM
:confused:
I just changed my motherboard from a Via chipset to a Nvidia chipset (A8V to a A8N-Sli deluxe) and need to find out how to get the pc working without having to reinstall XP Pro and all my software. Please help. Thanks in advance Alex

MUYA
05-21-05, 07:57 AM
It is strongly reccomended you do so. Otherwise a bunch of problemsmay creep up

aviljoen
05-21-05, 08:00 AM
I would like to avoid having to reinstall due to the fact that I have allot of software that I would have to reinstall and it would take ages to do, is there a way to change the motherboard without having to reinstall every thing? what if I made a backup of my current system and restore the backup on the newly reinstalled XP Pro system, would that restore all my software and settings but exclude the hardware from the previous system?
Thanks
Alex

MUYA
05-21-05, 08:03 AM
Come on dude to avoid a lot of headaches if you endure a lil pain of reinstalling. That way you will find everything working out better. Moving from one chipset to the other can be potentially a major pain in the backside. So i advise you again strongly that you do things the safe way and format and re-install.
3-4 hours max???

CaptNKILL
05-21-05, 08:08 AM
I'll be upgrading from an Nforce 2 Ultra 400 to an Nforce 3 Ultra pretty soon... same drivers and everything. I'll probably test it with the same windows install, but in the long run, a system rebuild is the perfect time to do a clean install. Even if it DOES work to switch boards and keep windows, your system will run a lot better and have less problems if you reinstall Windows.

MUYA
05-21-05, 08:13 AM
the thing here is, he is going from a VIA chipset to a nForce4 one. Whihc might be more troublesome than going from nf2 to nf4

Slyder
05-21-05, 08:36 AM
I would give your system about 30seconds before it either hangs, blue screens or dosnt event get past the XP loading screen if you really cant be arsed to format. :rolleyes:

PaiN
05-21-05, 09:02 AM
Seriously avil.....you're going to need to reinstall, plain & simple.

Gator
05-21-05, 09:17 AM
If you change motherboard chipset families, then yes you're gonna need to reinstall Windows fresh.

I went from Nforce2 to Nforce3 with no problems whatsoever, but they use the same driver package so I wasn't that surprised. Prior to that I went from SIS to Nforce2 and it wouldn't even bootup in safe mode. Point being if you're going from VIA to Nforce then problems are pretty much guranteed.

saturnotaku
05-21-05, 09:35 AM
Dollars to doughnuts he tries to migrate without reinstalling anyway in spite of the overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

WimpMiester
05-21-05, 11:16 AM
There are two things you can do.

1) Put your old hardware back together and then remove all software related to your motherboard and optionally remove hardware from the device manager related to motherboard then shutdown and try it on the new board and see if it redetects your hardware. But before that make sure you create a system restore point to be safe.

2) Reinstall windows but not as a repair. Run the WinXP install from CD but don't select Recover console or any other repair option. Install windows like itís a new installation. Don't erase the current install and select the same location you already have. Before the install starts it will again have an option to repair the current installation and you should select that. This isn't the same as using the recovery console or repair options you select at the very start of the install. When windows is done installing you have everything you had before, just run the windows updates to get your system back up to date before you do anything else. This method works and you won't get BSOD or any other problems.

Tr1cK
05-21-05, 12:01 PM
I've done it many times without reinstalling. I think the only reason it worked so well for me is because of my RAID controller has stayed the same. The only thing I did was uninstall all the old drivers for the motherboard, then do the switch. I also had to use a PS2 mouse until my USB drivers got loaded. I never had any degredation of performance after everything was reloaded.

jAkUp
05-21-05, 05:46 PM
I would NEVER keep the same O.S. on two separate mobo's

ricercar
05-21-05, 06:34 PM
Clean install = 24323
Re-use old install = 0

This should have been a poll.

Absolution
05-22-05, 01:33 AM
i wouldnt use the same windows, but i just set up my friends new system (sorta new), he upgraded his mobo + processor same hd, it loaded up windows and everything fine, its been a day, havent herd of any problems yet (been 2 days) - it re-detected all his new hardware, im surprised that it didnt crap out, even uninstalled his old nf2 chipset drivers and re-installed the new 5.10 for his nf3, took forever the first time though

WimpMiester
05-22-05, 01:48 AM
I would NEVER keep the same O.S. on two separate mobo's

My Hard Drive has been updated and cloned using several hardware upgrades and OS's over the years without any problems what so ever. Started with 286 CPU and DOS, Win 3.1, Win 3.11, 95, 98, 98se, WinXP all with different brand video cards, motherboards etc. and each OS with at least one major hardware upgrade before it was upgraded.

ChrisRay
05-22-05, 02:47 AM
One of the only times I ever do a reinstall is in when I change motherboards. Not with GPUs, Not with CPUs, But always with a motherboard.

Am_I_Evil
05-22-05, 02:54 AM
One of the only times I ever do a reinstall is in when I change motherboards. Not with GPUs, Not with CPUs, But always with a motherboard.

+1

netviper13
05-22-05, 03:21 AM
Man I format so often it's like a second nature to me. I keep all of my data, music, movies, etc. on a second hard drive so that formatting is as simple as re-installing Windows and the drivers. It's almost as easy as Gib's mom... :p