PDA

View Full Version : PC Gaming is NOT dead...

Pages : [1] 2 3

brady
05-21-05, 08:20 AM
i just viewed jackups e3 tim sweeny video (thank you!) and even though im migrating to console (for financial reasons, aka school) it seemed obvios to me that tim sweeny is not worried about the death of pc gaming. infact, to me, he seemed rather positive. this of course is my opinion.

in any event, it seems to me that pc gaming will catch up quicker than in previous generations if not only because our favorite OS developer has it in mind to try to cross engineer console and pc gaming in the future (ala universal controllers and dev. suites).

additionally, it seems that many games which are in dev. for the consoles are also in dev. for the pc. AND personally my observation has been that the screen shots that have been floating around have come primarily from the pc dev.

anyways, just some thoughts. i think gaming (on whichever platform) is going to be very exciting within the next year.

oldsk00l
05-21-05, 08:29 AM
Yes indeed, the G70 and R520 is going to match the next gen...and the generation after than is likely going to blow it away.

I swear it's xbox all over again with reference to rendering power vs the PC.

MUYA
05-21-05, 08:31 AM
By the time the PS3 and Xbox sales are in full swing, you can bet the desktop gaming scene will have advanced that much further as well so for teh PC gamers...no need to fret, I am not...I can imagine SLI 7800 GTX for me personally..... *poof** i had a dream....

saturnotaku
05-21-05, 08:37 AM
While PC gaming is dead for me personally, it's not going to be going away any time soon.

Acid Rain
05-21-05, 08:48 AM
I think the reason for all the doom and gloom surrounding the future of PC gaming is due to the fact that we now have somewhat official specs surfacing on the new consoles, and to be honest, the technology is quite exciting.

From a CPU standpoint, the consoles own. However, not by so much that the PC tech can't catch up fairly quickly. The're just going to be down for a bit. No big deal.

When the new graphics chips surface for PC, things will heat up, and by the time the following generation of GPUs are released, the consoles will be aging and crusty already, from a graphics processing standpoint.

The cell will be difficult to overcome, without the aid of the PPU, but that's coming (and quickly) as well. It really looks like this console launch will be very similar to the last one. Amazing stuff out of the gate, only to be overshadowed by PC hardware with a GPU launch or two.

One thing people don't bring up is that these console will be saddled with 512mb ram for the next five years or so. At 1080i, with 4x AA and HDR, that 512mb is going to turn into a serious bottleneck.

Hell, Doom 3 can already fill a 512mb frame buffer!

Riptide
05-21-05, 08:49 AM
For me it's not just the games. While it's a significant part of it, I have to admit I enjoy playing around with new hardware even if it is expensive. And while that's true PCs are expensive, it's nothing compared to 1994 when a 486DX/50 system was going to run you $2500 with a crap monitor and *gasp* Windows 3.1.

oldsk00l
05-21-05, 08:57 AM
While PC gaming is dead for me personally, it's not going to be going away any time soon.
That's how it is for allot of folks...

Who find out that the same games end up on systems that cost a fraction of a PC rig, deliver pretty damn good graphics, and the same gaming experience (sometimes better, as in the case of SC games).

OWA
05-21-05, 09:16 AM
But you're looking at the PC like all someone is purchasing it for is to play games and that's not the case. Playing games is just a small part of what the PC can do. You can also configure a pretty low-end PC that will match the quality of the graphics of a console although it is amazing what they can do with consoles when the graphics (characters or whatever) are really large.

I finally relented a several months ago and purchased a Xbox. I was pretty excited about it at first and bought several games including several games that I already own on the PC. Well, now a few months have passed and I don't think I've even turned on the xbox in the last month or so. I do plan to play Doom 3 co-op sometime soon though. Right now anyway, I just have a hard time getting past the lower-resolution graphics. Even with games like Madden 2005 I've gone back to playing on the PC since I can barely make out the passing symbols and players downfield on the console. Of course, with the new consoles and a HDTV to go along with it, some of those issues will disappear. In that case though, it's cheaper for me just to keep my PC for gaming since I don't currently own a HDTV.

Riptide
05-21-05, 10:30 AM
That's how it is for allot of folks...Actually, a lot of folks have a PC in addition to the console. And that's not likely to change either really. One thing that I realized over the last couple days is that while the enthusiast market is nothing compared to say the corporate market for instance there are a lot of people who flat out enjoy the sheer customization of PCs. A lot of those people will probably stick around and continue to drive the PC gaming market. It's always going to be a bit of a niche but not likely to truly dry up completely. Sorta like the macintosh. :)

jAkUp
05-21-05, 10:40 AM
Guys, let me tell you first of all, that the XBox360 I was totall unimpressed with.

They had a UE3 powered game. I got to see it on an xbox360, I also got to see it on a dual 6800 Ultra SLI at the nvidia booth. The one on the PC was running about 60fps or so. THe Xbox one seemed about 15fps. It was HORRIBLE. Same with the new NFS game. There are jaggies everywhere, does not match the quality of a PC, plus it was chugging. Granted these are very early, but still...

Acid Rain
05-21-05, 11:00 AM
Well, now a few months have passed and I don't think I've even turned on the xbox in the last month or so.Same here. Mine is so dusty I could water it down, bag the mud and make a fortune on topsoil :D

For me, the games and the joypad make me feel terribly uninvolved, and the lack of graphics tuneability is utterly maddening.

My lips ended up getting worn out on the words "meh" and "bleh".
So now the box just rots away, right alongside the Gamecube and the PS2. I will probably get a PS3, as it looks pretty cool and I already have a 40inch Sony XBR, so games might actually look pretty slick.

But, as the months roll on, I assure you it'll get very little use compared to my PC, and, eventually, none. It doesn't help that this summer my PC is getting a fatty new board and chip in addition to SLIed G70s.

shabby
05-21-05, 11:08 AM
Pc gaming might not be dead, but its bloody expensive. Top of the line video card/cpu/ram plus all of the little parts add up anywhere from a grand to 2 grand.
Compare that to a 400 dollar console and you'll see what i mean.

PSYCHODAD
05-21-05, 01:01 PM
Alot of the current console titles look and play pretty decently with a Hi-Def tele. Still, however, it is the pc that gets the usage in my home on a day-to-day basis.

(popcorn)

Fant
05-21-05, 01:02 PM
Casual gamers will stick to consoles...serious gamers will continue to have both...

jAkUp
05-21-05, 02:08 PM
PC Gaming is especially not dead..
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=614077#post614077

:D :D :D

Buenamos
05-21-05, 02:13 PM
Guys, let me tell you first of all, that the XBox360 I was totall unimpressed with.

They had a UE3 powered game. I got to see it on an xbox360, I also got to see it on a dual 6800 Ultra SLI at the nvidia booth. The one on the PC was running about 60fps or so. THe Xbox one seemed about 15fps. It was HORRIBLE. Same with the new NFS game. There are jaggies everywhere, does not match the quality of a PC, plus it was chugging. Granted these are very early, but still...

I thought there were no actual xbox 360's at the show......just G5s. Plus, I read somewhere that because it was not actually the x360 hardware running it, there was no AA/AF which we all know is a freebie b/c of ATI's new design.

oldsk00l
05-21-05, 02:18 PM
Actually, a lot of folks have a PC in addition to the console. And that's not likely to change either really. One thing that I realized over the last couple days is that while the enthusiast market is nothing compared to say the corporate market for instance there are a lot of people who flat out enjoy the sheer customization of PCs. A lot of those people will probably stick around and continue to drive the PC gaming market. It's always going to be a bit of a niche but not likely to truly dry up completely. Sorta like the macintosh. :)

Look at sales/revenue for consoles, then look at the same for PC's.

nuff said, thank you for your time, please drive through......

six_storm
05-21-05, 02:26 PM

They had a UE3 powered game. I got to see it on an xbox360 . . . Granted these are very early, but still...

Yeah, I was going to say that the XBOX360 is still in alpha state hardware wise. Heck, all of the 360 games demo'd at E3 were running off of PowerMacs anyway. I think we will see better performance once they can get the console in final beta stages with the games in the same state. I think it would've helped M$ to not have playable demos at E3 if it's has bad as people say it was. Good job Sony! :D

jAkUp
05-21-05, 04:39 PM
They were running off powermacs? Ok nevermind then. Thats funny because they were playing the games, with the new controller and you could see the box too. meh, damn cheaters.

PSYCHODAD
05-21-05, 05:34 PM

Never actually seen any figures my self, but I've heard that the consoles themselves are sold at a loss. Wonder how many games have to be sold to make up any difference?

evilchris
05-21-05, 05:45 PM
Never actually seen any figures my self, but I've heard that the consoles themselves are sold at a loss. Wonder how many games have to be sold to make up any difference?

Apparently not a whole lot, as console games sell many times over what the best PC games sell. A PC developer celebrates when their game sells 1 million copies, that's nothing for a console title. Great console titles sell 8 - 10 million copies.

There is much more money to be had in the console market for developers, that's for sure.

The PC gaming industry is too full of punk little ****s pirating games to make a lot of money.

Riptide
05-21-05, 05:55 PM
Which doesn't address anything I said at all. My point was that many enthusiasts enjoy building machines and playing with the new hardware so it isn't strictly games that they derive their enjoyment from. In any case it remains to be seen whether PC games die off or not.

Sidric
05-21-05, 05:56 PM
Well apparently I'm not one of those punk little ***ts because every one of the games I own, I've payed for with my own hard earned cash. I dunno to me personally pirating PC games hurts the industry and is sadly a weakness of PC gaming in comparison to consoles. That's not to say that it doesn't occur on consoles, its just more accessible to do it on a PC. On the other side of the coin, what if a buddy of mine wanted to get in on some multiplayer for SC: Chaos Theory but is only going to play for that and nothing else? Buying the game in this instance really doesn't make any sense. Blizzard had the right idea with the StarCraft spawns, but that never really took off.

evilchris
05-21-05, 05:59 PM
Piracy is a plague. I don't pirate ANYTHING. Every MP3 I have on my HDD was encoded by me using my original store bought CDs. If I like the band, shouldn't I PAY THEM to keep them going? Same with games, same with movies, same with anything. If you have an illegal copy of ANYTHING on your PC you are NO DIFFERENT then some SCUMBAG conveniance store robber and I wish you a horrible death by bone cancer or worse.

PSYCHODAD
05-21-05, 06:14 PM
I don't pirate anything either, like to think that I'm helping to support my favorite games when purchasing them.

What I do know is that piracy also extends to the console market, anyone with a DVD-rw and a little smarts can make copies of nearly any game, console or pc.

Flak_Monkey, you raise some very valid points about pc multi-player. It's always been really irratating when wanting to play a lan game at home and needing more than one copy of the game. In that case I think a back-up copy would come in handy.