PDA

View Full Version : A8N-SLI Chipset Fan

Pages : [1] 2

BrianG
05-21-05, 12:20 PM
The fan on my A8N-SLI Deluxe started to make a rather disturbing noise, almost as though someone put cards on the spokes. After a little on line research, I found that Asus is replacing these fans, no charge, no questions asked.

Here is what the Asus RMA department sends as a replacement.

http://www.nvnews.net/images/news/200505/a8nfan1_s.jpg

http://www.nvnews.net/images/news/200505/a8nfan2_s.jpg

http://www.nvnews.net/images/news/200505/a8nfan3_s.jpg

http://www.nvnews.net/images/news/200505/a8nfan4_s.jpg

Tha fit is a little tight, but it clears the exposed copper by about an 1/8".

If you have problems, first call tech supprt and open a ticket. Then call the RMA group in reference to that tickaet and they will send you the new fan USPS.

Update: I did get another tip from a friend of mine. If your heatsink/fan is "ringing", take off the top metal trim piece attached with the four tiny screws. That may help. Also, I did find that many repacement coolers availabel have to be modified, ie attacked by a Dremel tool, in order to fit. The pin holes are just slightly closer together than the standard "chipset" heatsinks available at your local Fry's or CompUSA.

PSYCHODAD
05-21-05, 02:26 PM
Yah, I removed mine from my board due to the noise and fanspeed slowdowns. Can't really tell that it made any difference in regards to temps.

Nice to know it can be replaced though.

Dazz
05-21-05, 06:10 PM
Yeah i have heard alot of people saying that they have been dying thats why they are giveing replacements.

Clay
05-21-05, 06:36 PM
I prefer to replace the tinyloudfans with a passive heatsink.

BrianG
05-21-05, 07:41 PM
I prefer to replace the tinyloudfans with a passive heatsink.
Wish I could, but the NV6 I am using prevent the use of a taller passive heatsink...

Clay
05-21-05, 08:06 PM
Wish I could, but the NV6 I am using prevent the use of a taller passive heatsink...
Eww, yeah good point. My Coolermaster passive NB heatsink just barely fits in with my water cooling tubing. That is a downside with them usually being so tall.

UclaBob
05-21-05, 08:38 PM
Is it quieter?

introgamer
05-21-05, 09:19 PM
Omgitshot!

ChrisRay
05-21-05, 09:49 PM
Its definately a better fan the garbage they put on the board.. I'm considering calling them and getting a replacement. Little aprehensive about replacing it though since I've never done it.

toxikneedle
05-21-05, 09:51 PM
I remember jackup's Asus mobo died.

Clay
05-21-05, 10:06 PM
Its definately a better fan the garbage they put on the board.. I'm considering calling them and getting a replacement. Little aprehensive about replacing it though since I've never done it.
It's cake man, just held down with the plastic retention pins and of course there's the fan power connector. I have no doubt that you could handle it. :)

Well..most are anyway that I've seen. I had that ASUS board for a brief time but don't recall how it was secured. My Gigabyte mobo just used the retention pins.

SH64
05-21-05, 11:12 PM
Does the A8N nF4 Ultra has the same chipset fan ?? if so .. then my brother is in trouble. he just got one.

LBJM
05-21-05, 11:57 PM

not a big deal really. I did the same for an MSI nforce2 motherboard.

PSYCHODAD
05-22-05, 04:17 AM
I use a small magnetic screwdriver for these kinda things. Works great for getting the tiny screws out.

top3koms
05-22-05, 06:49 AM
I went ahead and ordered a replacement just in case.I figured since they are giving them away might as well take them up on the offer.It will give me a reason to pull my mobo out yet again.

ChrisRay
05-22-05, 06:50 AM
I use a small magnetic screwdriver for these kinda things. Works great for getting the tiny screws out.

Its not the screws that bother me. Its the little clips on the back of the motherboard which hold it in place. I dont have nails and I can be a bit clumsy when precision is required.

PSYCHODAD
05-22-05, 12:14 PM
Perhaps I've finally totally lost it, but don't recall any retention clips. Only 4 small screws holding the fan plus the ones for the cover. Feel free to correct me if I'm in error as I may have had a memory fart. :o

correction: 3 small fan screws.

Clay
05-22-05, 02:08 PM
Its not the screws that bother me. Its the little clips on the back of the motherboard which hold it in place. I dont have nails and I can be a bit clumsy when precision is required.
Tweezers. :)

Waffles
05-22-05, 05:46 PM
Thats nice to know. This is why I never will buy ABIT again. Their chipset fans die also. We had two different types of abit motherboards, both chipset fans died. you either have to ship the whole motherboard to them (pay for shipping!) or just buy a new replacement for $15 plus shipping.

screw abit.

netviper13
05-23-05, 04:16 AM
Thats nice to know. This is why I never will buy ABIT again. Their chipset fans die also. We had two different types of abit motherboards, both chipset fans died. you either have to ship the whole motherboard to them (pay for shipping!) or just buy a new replacement for $15 plus shipping.

screw abit.

Interesting. My NF7-S ran for over a year without any fan troubles at all. Guess it's just luck of the draw when it comes to these things.

andefeldt
05-25-05, 03:05 AM
I didn't know that they replaced the old chipset fan with a new one. Well, I got sick and tired of the noise that it produced (I have the plain A8N-SLI mobo), so I decided to by a Zalman passive cooler instead. I haven't had any problems whatsoever and the temperature of my chipset is only slightly hotter than with the stock active cooler. Plus my computer is nice and quiet now (Also replaced my GeForce cooler with a Zalman VF700-Cu.... Really nice. But damn is that a tight fit to get these to coolers to fit on the mobo together ;-) If people wanna see, just let me know and I'll make a couple of pictures of it.

A.

top3koms
05-25-05, 06:13 AM
I replaced the chipset fan on My A8N-SLI Deluxe last night with the new one sent from Asus.The procedure went off without any problem and now I don't have to listen to that high pitched whining I was hearing from the old one.

Dazz
05-27-05, 06:07 AM
Should provide better cooling as the fan is larger 50mm Vs 40mm.

jAkUp
05-27-05, 11:37 AM
It also looks like a better constucted fan assembly.

Scott@Bjorn3D
06-17-05, 06:54 AM
I took the fan out of mine and put some lith grease in the bottom of it. Put it back on and did not put the top cover on and it is working great so far. Been running for 3 months that way.