PDA

View Full Version : Ugh!

Pages : [1] 2 3

superklye
05-22-05, 03:23 PM
I don't know what the hell is going on, but ever since I got to my parents' home, my computer has not only been running about 20C hotter (and the room I'm in is actually cooler than my room in my old apartment on campus) but it has been randomly hard-rebooting for no apparent reason.

I thought before it was just because of ****ty CoR. But I was just playing Guild Wars and it happened again. Luckily I was in town so I lost no progress or recently acquired items, but Christ! What the hell is going on?!

The only thing I've done since I've gotten here is installed the Microsoft Broadband Networking software for my MN-510 802.11b adapter. So that must be causing some kind of conflict that is causing reboots.

It's so damned annoying. I hate this adapter enough as it is and now it's only making me madder. I don't have my Windows XP CD or anything either (I'm in dire need of a reformat) so I can't just reinstall Windows and start from scratch. I have to live in fear every time I game now.

It's odd though...I played Vampire: Bloodlines for almost 3 hours straight last night and had no problems whatsoever. So apparently, it's not only a pain in the ass, but it's a selective pain in the ass.

Computer suck so much sometimes.

Starscream
05-22-05, 04:29 PM
If it's running so much hotter after moving the computer, try reseating the heatsink on your cpu. It sounds like it probably isn't the cpu as good anymore.

Starscream
05-22-05, 04:29 PM
If it's running so much hotter after moving the computer, try reseating the heatsink on your cpu. It sounds like it probably isn't contacting the cpu as good anymore.

superklye
05-22-05, 04:54 PM
Well, I just got back from the store and it was down to 38C again, so I dunno. Maybe it IS hotter in this room during the day.

I still am terrified to play anything now becuase of that MS software, though.

Riptide
05-22-05, 05:02 PM
You are stuck with the wireless card then? Can you try using a wired NIC instead and at least temporarily dump that software?

If it keeps up I'd start running diagnostics in order to figure out WTF is going on.

superklye
05-22-05, 05:05 PM
You are stuck with the wireless card then? Can you try using a wired NIC instead and at least temporarily dump that software?

If it keeps up I'd start running diagnostics in order to figure out WTF is going on.
Can't do wired because I don't have a cable long enough to reach from the router upstairs to my computer down here. And even if I did have one long enough, my dad would freak out about having a cable running through 3/4 of the house.

I want to get a linksys WUSB54g adapter, but they're $70 at Best Buy. I'm not going to spend that much because they're always going on sale.

What kind of diagnostics can/should I run?

Riptide
05-22-05, 05:07 PM
Well you could always run the long cable for just a couple days to see what happens. Maybe he'd be agreeable? I dunno, I don't know your dad. ;)

Anyway I'd start with the usual stuff. Make sure you aren't overclocked. Run memtest86 overnight and see if errors come up. If it passes that try Prime95 blend test and make sure it goes at least a few hours there. If it passes both those tests, try running 3dmark01 looped overnight.

superklye
05-22-05, 05:12 PM
Yeah, I just fired up Prime95 and lo and behold...it failed after 2 minutes.

Great. Once again: I have ****ty RAM! Woot! This is my 7th bad set now. And this stuff worked like a dream for so long, too.

Man, this is so frustrating. I've got two dying hard drives (those will be #6 and 7 of this year) and now I'm on my 7th set of failing RAM. fantastic.

Riptide
05-22-05, 05:14 PM
I'd run memtest just to make sure it's most likely the RAM.

BTW, my sympathies. :)

superklye
05-22-05, 05:19 PM
Yeah, I'm downloading the Ultimate Boot CD now so I can run Memtest.

And thanks...God, this pisses me off so much. It honestly makes me want to turn off my computer and never turn it on again. It seems like I always have the absolute worst luck with hardware. I am so sick of this bull**** RMAing process and all of that. I don't trust anyone or anything anymore when it comes to hardware. Even when it's been tested and proved to be fine, I don't trust it. Why? Because this RAM had no errors after 2 hours of Memtest and 14 hours of Prime95...and that was about 3 months ago.

And here we are now.

saturnotaku
05-22-05, 06:01 PM
Sounds like someone needs a Mac. :lol:

superklye
05-22-05, 06:06 PM
Sounds like someone needs a Mac. :lol:
no effing kidding.

Acid Rain
05-22-05, 06:49 PM
More bad ram? Come on, man!! What the hell do you do to your equipment? I think Sat may be onto something here. Go break a new G5! :D

I used to have to fight with hardware a bit back in the day. First, an Asus A7V133 Tbird system produced random crashes and I troubleshot the crap out of everything till I ascertained it was the board. Then I bought an Abit board for one of the first AthlonXPs, and the thing wouldn't run two sticks of ram reliably. Went to MSI, and, since that day, I've had a pretty flawless experience with PC hardware, and certainly nothing related to the mainboard. I've now built roughly 30 systems based on various MSI boards and haven't once needed to fight to get them to work. Not once.

I'm sure they aren't perfect for everyone, but I'll be damned if I ever get a bad one. What's funny is that since I've started using MSI, I haven't had one stick of ram either start out bad, or go bad. Before, during the "troubleshooting days" I returned more than one stick of ram thinking that was the cause when it wasn't. I thought "Well, if putting diferent ram in there makes the problem go away, it must be the ram." till a few days later when the issue would crop up again, randomly.

Not saying you've got another faulty board, but that is what I've run into, and they present the most elusive and random issues I've seen. I just can't swallow that you truly have had bad ram each time now.

Riptide
05-22-05, 07:05 PM
no effing kidding.
It's kinda wierd how this works sometimes. I've had more than my share of bad luck. My MSI Neo2 was a disaster. Name any of the problems early revisions of that board had, and mine had it. I ordered a 1GB kit from OCZ (Plat Rev 2) six months or so ago - and one stick was bad right out of the box. Also got a 9800XT around the same time and it was also defective.

But then I have a friend or two that it seems anything and everything they order works just fine. Very few problems. I've related some of my experiences to them and they are convinced I have bad luck. I'm inclined to agree, and I do believe in luck. Some people don't. They're wrong. :p

One lesson I've learned, finally, is that if things are working well then don't mess with them. Don't replace parts unless you really need to. In your case here that probably wouldn't help much since all you did was move the computer. But it's a usefull rule of thumb none the less.

And I doubt getting a Mac will help you other than the fact you'll be able to dump your problem on Apple and have them send you a new one. Their components aren't necessarily any better. Hell many of their parts are shared in common with x86 PCs (video cards, RAM, hard drives). Their RAM is no higher quality than anyone else's. You don't hear about as many hardware issues with them because, very simply, they are a tiny portion of the market share still.

superklye
05-22-05, 08:16 PM
I would never buy a Mac. :) That was just an expression of my rage at a situation I can never win.

But anyway...I ran Memtest for over an hour (it went through twice) and reported no errors. I even upped the RAM voltage from 2.6v to 2.8v (as per jAkup's recommendation some months ago) to be on the safe side.

I just ran Prime95 again and after 2 minutes it failed again. I guess I could up the vcore from 1.675 to 1.7 and see if that helps anything. It's just so weird how this started happening because honestly: this board worked like a dream until last night when I installed that MS broadband software. And it seems highly unlikely that the software is causing a hardware failure.

sigh.

Riptide
05-22-05, 08:24 PM
If upping vcore doesn't help... remove the software. If anything just to see what happens.

superklye
05-22-05, 08:37 PM
Yeah, it didn't work. It's still failing after 2-3 minutes. Guess I'll take off the software and see what happens...

superklye
05-22-05, 08:57 PM
Taking off the software didn't help, though, I did discover that I don't need that ****ty software in order to use the wireless card. :)

Anyway, I did the blend test again and it failed. So I thought to myself, "self, why not try the 'Small FFTs' test? It's testing pretty much nothing but the CPU."

So I did. And it failed. After 2 minutes.

So this leads me to believe, based on what I've seen with memtest being okay...is that my CPU is what is going. :-\

Is that assumption okay to make?

Riptide
05-22-05, 10:10 PM
Could be the chip. Or the motherboard. You might contact AMD and see if they'll do an exchange for you.

PITA init?

superklye
05-22-05, 10:19 PM
PITA init? What does that mean?

And I've had this CPU for like 2 years...I doubt I'm going to get a replacement. This is just a sign that it's time I go A64.

I guess no more gaming for me until I get a new computer.

Riptide
05-22-05, 10:56 PM
PITA - Pain In The Ass

superklye
05-22-05, 11:06 PM
Huge PITA.

CaptNKILL
05-22-05, 11:11 PM
Maybe I missed something... but it sounds like you should take out your CPU and repaste it and make sure the heat sink is on really good. Moving computers does this ALL the time. LAN parties, moving from one house to another, hell, carrying it across the room... any of them can jossle things around enough to make something not work.

superklye
05-22-05, 11:18 PM
Maybe I missed something... but it sounds like you should take out your CPU and repaste it and make sure the heat sink is on really good. Moving computers does this ALL the time. LAN parties, moving from one house to another, hell, carrying it across the room... any of them can jossle things around enough to make something not work.
seriously? it would cause my CPU to come loose enough to still boot and work except when under a heavy gaming load? that doesn't seem to make much sense, but I guess I could try. I'll have to pick up some more AS5.

It sure would be a hell of a lot cheaper than a new computer...

Riptide
05-23-05, 12:29 AM
Yeah that's probably not a bad idea. While you're at it pull all your RAM and your expansion cards. Reseat everything real good and blow all the dust out.