PDA

View Full Version : Which mobo is better?

vX
05-22-05, 06:14 PM
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1366562&CatId=0

or

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1284606&CatId=0

I'm leaning toward the MSI board. What do you think? ( I'm on a socker 754 and these are the only two 754 sockets I could find with pci-e. )

When I switch mobo's, is there some sort of Bios eraser I need to use?

CaptNKILL
05-22-05, 09:05 PM
Wow... I didnt even know they made PCI-E boards in socket 754 :wtf:

vX
05-22-05, 09:08 PM
I know, nice ain't it? And nf4 boards to boot! Gives me some extra time to avoid the socket 939 upgrade, I think a 3700+ cpu and this board with pci-e will go perfect with the pci-e version of the 7800 GTX =)

So which is better?

jAkUp
05-22-05, 09:12 PM
Easy pick. Go with the MSI :)

vX
05-22-05, 09:19 PM
Easy pick. Go with the MSI :)

Only if it gets me a Tim Sweeny autograph.... :D :bleh:

MSI it is, that's what I was leaning towards, I havent really heard of foxxconn, but I saw it was a nf4 board and had an extra slot for ram, but i'd feel safer with MSI, just wasnt sure if I had been living under a rock and foxxconn had blew up without me knowing of it. :o

Starscream
05-23-05, 12:54 AM
I know, nice ain't it? And nf4 boards to boot! Gives me some extra time to avoid the socket 939 upgrade, I think a 3700+ cpu and this board with pci-e will go perfect with the pci-e version of the 7800 GTX =)

So which is better?

My question is why would you buy a new cpu and this board?

If you're going to get both a new cpu and motherboard go socket 939 otherwise you are just throwing away money.

Gator
05-23-05, 10:35 AM
My question is why would you buy a new cpu and this board?

If you're going to get both a new cpu and motherboard go socket 939 otherwise you are just throwing away money.

Agreed. If your intention is to save your A64 3200 Clawhammer then yes it makes sense to get one of those S754 PCIE boards. But if you're gonna buy a new CPU anyway, just go S939 instead and save yourself some headache later.

Anyway, between those choices I'd pick MSI. And do not get the Asus S754 PCIE board, it's having some serious voltage and multiplier issues with Clawhammers. I only hope MSI doesn't have the same issues for you.

Mr_LoL
05-23-05, 11:40 AM
I would go with th foxconn simply because the layout is better.

jAkUp
05-23-05, 01:03 PM
Foxconn's are terrible motherboards, I would never recommend one. They have BIOS issues like nothing else

CHEVYMAN_02
05-23-05, 01:42 PM
you can get a MSi one @ newegg.co for $78.

vX
05-23-05, 03:29 PM
MSI it is, thanks for all the feedback.

To answer the questions " why not just buy 939" ( I knew someone would have to ask this lol) I'm in the middle of a trade, one of my psp's with a few games for a 3700+. It's a great deal for me since I have 2 psp's, one's just been gathering dust as a back-up, so it's nice to send it out to someone who will get the use it deserves and in return, I get the fastest cpu my mobo can take.

Now since I'm getting this 3700+ and currently don;t have the funds to buy a new mobo/cpu/pci-e card, I can use the $100 I have hidden away for hardware on this pci-e motherboard. I can then keep this new cpu i'm getting instead of spending for a new one thats 939.

Also, I really don't want to move to pci-e until the next gen cards come out, I dont have $500 for a card right now and wont till about August, even if I did have the $$ now, it's pointless to buy a x850 xt or 6800 ultra in pci-e when the r520 and g70 are a few months away. So i'm gonna purchase the mobo and keep it boxed till the next-gen cards come out, in the mean time, my current mobo can take the 3700+ as well, so i'll use it in there with the 6800 gt agp I have until I make the jump over. See? This is how you have to rig it when you're a broke ass college student lol.

vX
05-23-05, 03:30 PM
you can get a MSi one @ newegg.co for $78.

Thanks! I'll be getting it from here for sure!