PDA

View Full Version : Classic Games

Pages : [1] 2 3

DaveW
05-23-05, 04:34 PM
I know there are some classic games out there that go unnoticed by many gamers. Post your list of classic games here:

THE RULES:

The game must have been out for 2 years. I set this rule to avoid the hype surrounding a new game, otherwise everyone here is going to list HL2. Only time will tell if its really a classic. A game is a classic if its old, and its graphics look crappy by todays standards, yet you still feel compelled to pull it off the shelf and play it once and a while.

List games from any platform. I know most of the good games I have missed have been on consoles.

netviper13
05-23-05, 04:36 PM
I don't play it anymore because my copy was for the Mac we used to own, but Tie Fighter was one of my favorite games ever. I would say it's definitely a classic.

evilchris
05-23-05, 04:37 PM
Phantasy Star on the Sega Master System.

DaveW
05-23-05, 04:44 PM
My List:

Master of Orion 2 (PC)
Homeworld (PC)
Fallout (PC)
Freespace 1 + 2 (PC)
XCom ,aka UFO Enemy Unknown (PC) - a bitch to get to run on a modern PC
Battlefield 1942 (PC)
Ikaruga (Dreamcast)
Einhander (Playstation)

stncttr908
05-23-05, 04:48 PM
Freelancer by Microsoft (http://www.microsoft.com/games/default.aspx)
Released: March 2003
Genre: Space Combat

Freelancer is the sequel to Starlancer, another popular game of the same style. While the game has an engaging single player campaign, I had countless hours of fun playing multiplayer. At its peak, there were hundreds of servers to choose from, each with your own stats and characters to use. Playing with a few buddies using Ventrilo or another voice communication system was an absolute blast. There were tons of systems to explore, missions to undertake, and paths to forture. You could decide to become a pirate and attach merchant ships for loot, or do jobs for police forces and other law groups and get on their good side.

In addition to the countless hours of fun from the original game, there are a ton of mods out there, such as new ships, systems, and even total conversions which can extend the fun. Using a 3rd party app called Freelancer Mod Manager you can install and use each of them whenever you like.

I highly recommend checking it out. You can get the game for dirt cheap these days, and you don't regret doing so. It still holds its own visually with max resolution and AA, although it doesn't match the visual splendor of games like X2 - The Threat or Nexus: The Jupiter Incident. The good news is it runs on a wide range of systems. When I first started playing I was still on my PIII 600 system w/a GF3 ti200.

Recommended Links
Lancers Reactor (http://www.lancersreactor.com/t/) | Lancers HQ (http://www.3dactionplanet.com/lancer/) | Game Rankings Review Index (http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/913966.asp) | Freelancer: The Next Generation Mod (http://www.starfyrestudios.com/index.php)

evilchris
05-23-05, 04:49 PM
I think the original Starflight for PC is a classic. I think I played that around 1986 or 87 or so.

oldsk00l
05-23-05, 04:53 PM
blaster master

|MaguS|
05-23-05, 04:55 PM
Sanitarium (PC)
Grim Fandango (PC)
No One Lives Forever (PC)
Drakan - Order of the Flame (PC)
Drakan - Ancient Gates (PS2)
Total Annihilation (PC)
Rune (PC)
Freedom Fighters (Console's & PC)
Oni (PC)
Rollcage (PSX)
Dungeon Keeper 2 (PC)
Vampire - The Masquerade - Redemption (PC)
Shogo (PC)
Requiem - Avenging Angel (PC)
Giants - Citizen Kabuto (PC)
System Shock 1 (PC) 2 (PC & DC)
Battlezone 1/2 (PC)
Nox (PC)
Heavy Gear 1/2 (PC)

and I own alot more but don't want to go through the books...

ynnek
05-23-05, 05:22 PM
Wing Commander 1 + 2, expansion packs for those two, and the first Privateer..

My favorite was one the WC expansion packs, where they brought out the Morningstar with the nuke missle for the first time.. Not only did I love how that ship flew, but the first time I launched that nuke missle right in a middle of a whole incoming enemy wing of ships, and set it off.. that bright flash and seeing the middle ships get blow up and the fridge ships get totally mangled... was awesome....

or taking those huge broadswords and tanking thru the whole fight, especially iwth the turrets on all corners... and just closing the gap between the main ships to fire off a torpedo to go under its shields.. BLAM!

In Privateer, I loved shooting everything down.. and then taking the pilots and selling them as slaves.. It was brutal going in and out of the federation space when I was doing missions for them.. I killed so many of those ships that when I entered Kilrathi space, they were friendly to me.. lol

I also liked in Privateer, that the less energy you had in shields, the faster your guns can fire. I always freeked my friends out when they watched me, cause my opening move was always to afterburn right up to the enemy ships and slam right into them, then hold down the firebutton down and blast them at point blank..

Too bad the other ones afterwards basically sucked.

Subtestube
05-23-05, 05:36 PM
Props to ebgt for mentioning Oni and Giants. In any case

* Civ III. It's the only game that I just keep on coming back to over and over and over again.
Also.. to some degree, Starcraft, though I don't play that so often any more.

DenverBuc
05-23-05, 05:49 PM
Mule and 4th & Inches for the Commodore 64
Starcraft for the PC
Command & Conquer: Red Alert for the PC

Slyder
05-23-05, 05:53 PM
Ultima Underworld for DOS 6.2 :D

LT.Schaffer
05-24-05, 02:56 PM
Toejam&Earl 1[Sega Genesis]
Syndicate[PC]
Duke Nukem 64[N64]
Myst 1[PC]
Torrin's Passage[PC]
Hidden&Dangerous 1[PC]
Mechwarrior Series[PC]
Operation Flashpoint[Without Community Mods][Can't wait for Bohemia to release Their Updated Version Of Operation Flashpoint Later This Year]

Gaco
05-24-05, 03:23 PM
Little Big Adventure 2 - a classic from aaaall way back!

Lemmings, One Must Fall: 2097, C&C: Red Alert, The Incredible Machine, Space Ace, Decent: Freespace and System Shock 2 are all games I enjoyed a while back.

More recently, it's been Half-Life, Deus Ex, Giants: Citizen Kabuto, Sacrifice, Max Payne, Battefield 1942, C&C: Generals and Call of Duty I've been enjoying very much :)

Riptide
05-24-05, 03:32 PM
I think the original Starflight for PC is a classic. I think I played that around 1986 or 87 or so.
Beat me to it. That was the first game I played and was great fun. Anyone that wants a copy, I have it, and I believe it is now in public domain. You'll need something to slow down your PC in order to play it though otherwise EVA activities planetside will be impossible.

The second installment wasn't bad either.

Anyone remember Star Control 2? That game shares a LOT in common with Star Flight.

Ninjaman09
05-24-05, 03:37 PM
Hmm...OK, here I go - this is my PC only classic list:

TIE Fighter
Warcraft II
Starcraft
Duke Nukem 3D
Doom
Deus Ex
System Shock 2
SimCity 2000

I'm sure I'm forgetting some, these are just the first that came to my head.

Console games are too numerous to list. :)

zoomy942
05-24-05, 03:47 PM
rainbow six 1
robinson's requim
doom shareware

SCORCHED EARTH... i cant believe noone said that one. and you all call yourselves gamers :)

Pandora's Box
05-24-05, 03:53 PM
Age of Empires 1 and 2.

Ninjaman09
05-24-05, 04:07 PM
SCORCHED EARTH... i cant believe noone said that one. and you all call yourselves gamers :)
Ah, but I left the qualifier, "I'm sure I'm forgetting some" so there! And yeah, Scorched Earth is totally ub3r.

evilchris
05-24-05, 04:15 PM
Venture on Atari

zoomy942
05-24-05, 04:30 PM
Ah, but I left the qualifier, "I'm sure I'm forgetting some" so there! And yeah, Scorched Earth is totally ub3r.

you cheated with that qualifier! :)

karkrash81
05-24-05, 04:32 PM
No One Lives Forever!!!

This game is still one of the best FPS ever made. It had one of the lengthiest and most enjoyable campaigns (60+ levels). There were so many wow moments. Diving out of a exploding jet after a parachute, escaping a sinking ship, scuba diving, fighting helicopters on a gondola down a mountain slope, snowmobiles, motorcycles, fighting on a moving train, sniping around a deaf and dumb ambassador, etc...

The sneaking was enjoyable, and the game could be played with guns blazing as well.

This was the first game that really showed how effective voice acting could be. It had hundreds upon hundreds of lines of dialogue. The music was also great. It felt like a real 60's spy movie with all of the crazy characters (drunk scotsman, crazy opera singer, dumb baron, evil russian, etc...)

And the sense of humor was perfect. I've never laughed so much in my life from a game. Overhearing NPC's one of the centerpieces of the game.

CHEVYMAN_02
05-24-05, 04:33 PM
My favorite are

Star Wars: Dark Forces
Star Wars: Dark Forces II Jedi Knight
Star Wars: Jedi Knight Mysteries of the Sith
Star Wars Rebel Assault II.
System Shock 2
Age of Empires 1 & 2

zoomy942
05-24-05, 04:36 PM
No One Lives Forever!!!

This game is still one of the best FPS ever made. It had one of the lengthiest and most enjoyable campaigns (60+ levels). There were so many wow moments. Diving out of a exploding jet after a parachute, escaping a sinking ship, scuba diving, fighting helicopters on a gondola down a mountain slope, snowmobiles, motorcycles, fighting on a moving train, sniping around a deaf and dumb ambassador, etc...

The sneaking was enjoyable, and the game could be played with guns blazing as well.

This was the first game that really showed how effective voice acting could be. It had hundreds upon hundreds of lines of dialogue. The music was also great. It felt like a real 60's spy movie with all of the crazy characters (drunk scotsman, crazy opera singer, dumb baron, evil russian, etc...)

And the sense of humor was perfect. I've never laughed so much in my life from a game. Overhearing NPC's one of the centerpieces of the game.

i gotta agree with that :).

and thief 1 and 2 are awesome.

and what about oregon trail. i played the hell out of that

karkrash81
05-24-05, 04:41 PM
And while I"m at it ...

No One Lives Forever 2 was a gem as well...not as good as the first...

It had the RPGish elements of upgrading skills and abilities. A fantastic story with that great 60's vibe. The game was shorter but the graphics (at the time of release) were top of the line.

It had several great moments...like the tricycle chase, and fighting in a tornado.

There were cool characters like the ninja bound by honor, the midget mime assassin king, and lots of funny indian accents :D

Great sense of humor and superb voice acting. Too bad we will most likely never see another NOLF game....

It always cracked me up when I would shoot a glue bomb at a Indian pedestrian and she would look down and say "I have suddenly become quite immobile" in the funny accent...haha