PDA

View Full Version : A Gamers Manifesto

Subtestube
05-23-05, 04:21 PM
I realise this could probably go in 'general', but it's specifically about games. I personally found it interesting (and mostly true. Mostly). Check it out.

http://www.pointlesswasteoftime.com/games/manifesto.html

EDIT: Of course, you may not agree with his observations, and there are a number that don't hold for all games. I just thought it was an interesting take on where games may/should go.

|MaguS|
05-23-05, 04:37 PM
It gave me a headache... The author sounds like a complete idiot most of the time... he complained about not having a map in a game... sorry but I don't walk into a building and automatically get handed a floorplan of it.

CaptNKILL
05-23-05, 05:51 PM
It gave me a headache... The author sounds like a complete idiot most of the time... he complained about not having a map in a game... sorry but I don't walk into a building and automatically get handed a floorplan of it.
I agree, most of what hes saying sounds ok at first, but makes absolutely no sense. Especially from a developement standpoint.
He wants to get rid of load times. OK... soo.... any ideas how the hell we are supposed to do that? Fast hard drive = 60Mb\sec transfer rate. New games are taking up 4-5Gigs of space now. How the hell can we magically make 600Mbs of stuff read, process and begin working instantly? :|

Most of his other complaints are just plain stupid.
Unnecessarily difficult end levels? Use your god damned brain (along with the information that just about every game gives you in the form of a journal\mission log).

Speed cheating? What year is this? 1991? Any games I have played recently have not had this. I think ONE need for speed game did a couple years ago, but that game sucked anyway.

Arbitrary Triggers in RPGs... ok I can see how this is anoying, but games already take 5 freakin years to be released, they dont need to have to do every possible action an infinite number of times so there is never any noticeable triggers.

Man, this guys just bitching without any real argument :p

Acid Rain
05-24-05, 04:50 PM
While the "no quick save for console games" point is quite a valid argument, one that I've had for ages now, pretty much everything else in that write-up just shows a complete lack of understanding when it comes to games, and, particularly, what is involved in the making of games.

|MaguS|
05-24-05, 08:25 PM
I can see why quick save never took off on the consoles. Most up untill the xbox really had no real means to do it, They all lacked ram. The Xbox on the otherhand could have and should have done it... its HD could have been used to cache the Quick Save. Hell Doom 3 on the system has a quick save feature...

Acid Rain
05-26-05, 03:14 AM
I can see why quick save never took off on the consoles. Most up untill the xbox really had no real means to do it, They all lacked ram. The Xbox on the otherhand could have and should have done it... its HD could have been used to cache the Quick Save.You don't need ram for a quick save, and it doesn't need to be cached on a hard disk, or anywhere, for that matter. It is simply a status save that can be done anywhere in the game. This is easily accomplished with a memory card.

All you need is a permanent place to store the data, like a memory card or a hard disk. Either one will do.