PDA

View Full Version : Comcast Gold Tier Service users with routers

Roliath
05-23-05, 11:08 PM
I Just upgraded from the normal Broadband Speed of
4.0Mbit down/384kb up
to
6.0Mbit down/768kb up

Well, my upload seems to at the advertised speed but my download speeds is now at around 2.2-3.5Mbit depending on which speed test site I use.

I'm using a Motorola SB5120 Modem connected to a Belkin F5D6231-4 router.

I found that my router was killing my download speeds, and when I do a DIRECT connection from my computer to my cable modem, I able to hit the advertised speeds. With the router out of the way, all is good.
BUT now my dad cannot connect to the internet.

So here is the dilemma, I love the new found speed, but it's at the expense of my father not having internet. How can I meet both our needs? Should I buy a new router, if so which one? Also is there any other way to meet both our needs without KILLING my new down/upload speed?

fastguy94416
05-23-05, 11:15 PM
Find a new router OR, live with a better connection speed that 99% of people in the world. I've used D-link routers myself, and they seem to work just fine.

I think those might be your only 2 options, and leaving your dad without internet because you want an extra meg/sec... I don't really understand that.

Roliath
05-23-05, 11:30 PM
I need the better upload speeds, and it's a free upgrade, so why not huh?
Anyways, I'm thinking about finding a new router, but I don't know of any "Good" ones out that will reach the speeds I can dl at.

|MaguS|
05-23-05, 11:30 PM
Make sure the connection is not DMZ'd, I know I can achieve the 8MBit advertised speed of my provider if I go through the firewall in my router but if I DMZ I take a huge speed hit.

shoes
05-24-05, 11:40 AM
I'm in DFW too and i also have Comcast, but not the gold tier. But it still get near 5.0 down and more than advertised up. I have a Dlink DI_524 and a SB5100 if that helps. Sometimes it can depend on the firmware of the modem you have sometimes. If you don't need th wireless now or later you could get a DI_604 (wired only). It's a very good wired router.

FastM
05-25-05, 12:15 AM
You could always just keep your direct connect and install a second NIC card in your PC to share the internet to your dads... only downside is you have to leave your PC on most of the time so he has internet.

Roliath
05-25-05, 12:31 AM
I like your Idea the best FastM, since my PC is on most of the time uploading things.
So I would need to buy a NIC card, any suggestions?
And what about my dad's side? What will he need?

Roliath
05-25-05, 12:34 AM
I have also found out that the router I currently have is only capable of going up to 11Mbps. So I think that's what is also killing some of my speed.

|MaguS|
05-25-05, 07:06 AM
Um no, 11Mbps is fast enough unless you have a faster connection then that...

Roliath
05-25-05, 08:37 AM
oh, thanks.
I'm no networking guru (AT ALL!!) so please bear with my "noobness"

shoes
05-25-05, 11:41 AM
Roliath, on a high speed connection i would highly recommend a router in place with a NAT firewall. These days with nasties out there and so many things that can bring a PC to it's knees NAT is a must. With direct connect it's ok if you are using an extremely good software firewall, and you are an expert is setting it up with rules, but having that NAT behind it takes away alot of the guessing game and stealth many crucial ports by default. Newtworking is part of my business and i set up high speed internet on the side (both Comcast, Charter, and SWB Yahoo) and i can tell you that a router is a good thing to have. It could be the firmware and software version running on your modem, or could be be your actual CAT5 (catagory 5) network cable that is the problem. You could swap it out for another and try it, or try a cheap airlink wired router at Fry's (i install many of thse and they work very nice as they are just a rebagged DI_604 Dlink). Right now many comcast customers are getting leases on the same IP for upwards of 5 months even though we are dynamic and getting slammed by several IP's in China and Comcast won't do anything about it so good protection is a must. I would try another router and cable myself if i were you.