PDA

View Full Version : Gears of war will also be for the PC

killahsin
05-24-05, 04:00 AM
In this interview J. Allard says gears of war is for both platforms. Which makes me a very happy boy. I had stated before that it would be for PC too based on steve gibsons guess it would be. But its very good to hear its been confirmed. :afro:

You didn't reveal any new Microsoft [Game Studios] exclusives this time around. It was very much sequel sequel sequel sequel, whereas obviously last time you launched with a huge range of first party exclusives. This time it seemed like almost everything had a number on the end.

Nah, there's Blue Dragon and Ninety-Nine Nights... There's certainly new content. It's hard to say Perfect Dark is a sequel. I don't know when the last time you purchased a new copy of Perfect Dark... quite a while ago! Kameo is new IP as well, so I think we've got a pretty good balance of first party. It's probably about fifty-fifty between sequels that people love and new IP that they'll be trying out that we've not talked about so far. "Gears Of War is new IP as well."

But is that exclusive to Xbox?

It's Xbox and PC

Source (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=9096)

msxyz
05-24-05, 04:42 AM
Yay! PC gaming is NOT dead :p

Gaco
05-24-05, 04:44 AM
I wouldn't call it confirmated yet. That MS-representative and the people at Epic still contradics eachother. Microsoft has been known a few times before to have had some bad miscommunications with developers. Epic HAS said that it was Xbox360 exclusive. Now why would they do that? :confused:

Anyway, I don't believe it 100% until epic has confirmed it themselfs, but I sure hope it's true :)

msxyz
05-24-05, 05:41 AM
Maybe they felt the flames from the community following the announcement.

Epic has developed a special relation with the modding comunity and it has always tried to listen to their suggestions.

newlinuxguy
05-24-05, 07:44 AM
most of the stuff on xbox2 can be easily ported to pc ...I think

vX
05-24-05, 09:14 AM
yeah..XNA is supposed to make things easier to port from and to pc. :)

killahsin
05-24-05, 11:14 AM
That ms guy is the god behind the xbox 360. I highly doubt he wouldn't know what systems a paid for exlusive game will be on. So yes that very much sounds confirmed to me. Remember that the msft platform is in fact pc/xbox together. Please also remember that they labeled morrowind and halo as xbox exclusives. And usually to consoles exclusive means exclsuive to one console. the pc industry has for a long time kinda stayed out of the description of exclusives, like gta etc, halo, ff, even sonic back in the days. Yet these titles remained exclusives and were always called as such.

oh and msxyz i also heard oblivion will make use of the aegis hardware, but thats a rumor for now.

The reason i speculated earlier that this would hit the pc was because of when UT was pushed back to 07. Epic has been going the franchise format recently. In the style of ea sports games for their unreal games. So when they pushed it back to 07 and announced gears of war, it all kind of made sense. You don't want your own games to compete in the same markets, especially when multiplayer is concerned. It's a very solid business decision, if it flops, they have the fallback in 07, to recoup the losses. Thankfully I don't see epic taking any losses anytime soon, heh.

jAkUp
05-24-05, 11:25 AM
Isn't the gameplay at the end of this video gears of war? It was run on an SLI 6800 Ultra:
http://www.nvnews.net/articles/e3_2005/unrealengine3.html

killahsin
05-24-05, 11:33 AM
yes thats gears of war

Buenamos
05-24-05, 11:38 AM
Hate to burst your guys's bubbles........but watch this interview.
http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/747/747891/vid_1131247.html?mu=http%3A%2F%2Fstreamingmovies.i gn.com%2Fxbox360%2Farticle%2F617%2F617011%2Fg4_e30 5live_day2_gearsofwar_wmvlow.wmv

killahsin
05-24-05, 11:46 AM
Hey your not bursting my bubble =) i saw the interview already lol

But stuff changes rapidly hehe. Kinda like the whole halo will not go to pc thing. Flames, than bang ok halo will be ported to pc, etc.

jAkUp
05-24-05, 11:48 AM
But I saw gears of war on PC... of course its being ported over :)

killahsin
05-24-05, 11:50 AM
And it did run very smoothly on that system in your video. I dig the real time shadowing lighting in the editor.

six_storm
05-24-05, 11:54 AM
Well, since no one here watches G4 (especially last week), Cliffy B said it was an XBOX exclusive. The Unreal Tournament 2007 is being released on PC, XBOX 360 and PS3.

killahsin
05-24-05, 12:00 PM
yes thats what he linked to the g4 video/interview. Again I would be extremly surprised if Allard didn't know what he was talking about. But who knows, who cares, lol. We shall see in a few months time.

jAkUp
05-24-05, 12:45 PM
But it was shown on PC!!! I don't think they would go through all the trouble to port it over to the PC just for the Expo.

And being an exclusive dosen't really mean much, hell, GTA is considered a PS2 exclusive.

Buenamos
05-24-05, 01:24 PM
But it was shown on PC!!! I don't think they would go through all the trouble to port it over to the PC just for the Expo.

And being an exclusive dosen't really mean much, hell, GTA is considered a PS2 exclusive.

Of course it was shown on pc, there weren't actually any x360's there to run it on.......what do u think they would run it on, a gameboy? :p

|MaguS|
05-24-05, 01:28 PM
Alot of work would need to go from the current 360 work to PC just to get it to run on the system, not even optimizing as smooth as it was. Remeber, unlike the original Xbox the 360 is powerPC based so porting over to PCs is more work (even with XNA).

jAkUp
05-24-05, 02:22 PM
Of course it was shown on pc, there weren't actually any x360's there to run it on.......what do u think they would run it on, a gameboy? :p

I saw it run on a powermac (xbox360) and I saw it run on a dual SLI system. It was optimized for the SLI system, of course its gonna be ported over.

BTW it ran terrible on the powermac or xbox360 or whatever it is.

Gaco
05-24-05, 02:42 PM
Well, I just hope you're right, jAkUp :D

Anyway, I think J. Allard actually knows what he's talking about, I just don't see why Epic would've said "it's xbox360 exclusive". But of cause, the explanation could be their relationship to the word "exclusive", which means exclusive for consoles, not PC :)

six_storm
05-24-05, 03:35 PM
I saw it run on a powermac (xbox360) and I saw it run on a dual SLI system. It was optimized for the SLI system, of course its gonna be ported over.

BTW it ran terrible on the powermac or xbox360 or whatever it is.

Well, just think about it though. Not even M$ has finalized the hardware for the 360 and the GPU for the 360 is supposed to be way better than dual SLIs anyway. Remember last year when they unveiled the Unreal 3 engine and talked about how the 6800 Ultra could run the new engine at around 1 to 5 FPS? I don't think we will have to worry about crappy frame rates or graphics with the next gen consoles.

Just from what I've heard, Cliffy B told G4 that GOW is an XBOX 360 exclusive. Does that mean the 360 only? No. It just means that it will be on the 360 for a long time and then be released on other platforms. Just look at how they did the GTA series for the XBOX. See what I mean?

|MaguS|
05-24-05, 03:43 PM
I think he ment it was an exclusive for the 360 on consoles, not considering the PC.