PDA

View Full Version : 6800 GT --have i reached the CPU bottleneck?

lauwingchun
05-24-05, 03:38 AM
i dunno if my 6800 GT AGP 256MB is underperforming much due to my CPU. i got 5200 marks in 3dmarks 05 if i overclock it to 1100/390 MHz....which i think is not too bad, but in the CPU test it seems it is running frame-by-frame.

when i played some recent titles like SWAT 4 and Boiling Point, i got stuttering in some scenaries with high setting. plz note that i am not using any FSAA or anistropic stuff, but just VSYNC ON (for my LCD) and at 1280*1024. (used several forceware versions: 71.xx , 76.xx, now 76.50 NGO)

i am now wondering if it is my CPU that has set bottleneck for performance....or i have expected too much for such a system config.

Pentium 4 2.80GHz with HT
1GB PC-3200 DDR RAM
Intel i865G chipset
Seagate 120GB SATA HD
Inno3D Geforce 6800GT AGP 256MB
Soundbblaster Audigy 2 value

j0j081
05-24-05, 03:48 AM
Since you aren't using aa or af I don't think you should be getting any stuttering but I think your cpu looks reasonable. How's your power supply and system config? BTW the NGO drivers are teh suck for IQ.

lauwingchun
05-24-05, 04:41 AM
Since you aren't using aa or af I don't think you should be getting any stuttering but I think your cpu looks reasonable. How's your power supply and system config? BTW the NGO drivers are teh suck for IQ.

my system config---large system buffer, 1537MB paging file on NTFS drive
my power supply should not be a problem....it's new and my system have been stable (though i forgot how much power it can offer)

in fact wht others should affect gaming performance?

CaptNKILL
05-24-05, 08:34 AM
It most likely is your CPU. Its kinda sad, but the last generation of games has been horrible for CPU requirements. My CPU is no slouch, yet even with my 6800GT overclocked to 420\1170 some games still run terrible. Your CPU isnt really too much faster than mine, so I'm guessing thats probably whats slowing things down for you.

Try turning on some AA or AF to see if your framerates change in games. If they stay the same or just change slightly, I guarantee that its a CPU bottleneck.

saturnotaku
05-24-05, 09:16 AM
Playing with vsync on isn't going to help either if you're playing a CPU limited game. That's probably part of the reason you're experiencing choppiness.

lauwingchun
05-24-05, 10:20 AM
It most likely is your CPU. Its kinda sad, but the last generation of games has been horrible for CPU requirements. My CPU is no slouch, yet even with my 6800GT overclocked to 420\1170 some games still run terrible. Your CPU isnt really too much faster than mine, so I'm guessing thats probably whats slowing things down for you.

Try turning on some AA or AF to see if your framerates change in games. If they stay the same or just change slightly, I guarantee that its a CPU bottleneck.

that's quite true. i turned on AA/AF in games (up to 4X/4X), the drop is not very obvious EXCEPT when i turned around (in the game) or having to face a larger landscape to render(sth like that)

however, my CPU now is at 2.8GHz, and AFAIK if i stay 32-bit the fastest Intel P4 is at 3.8 GHz. i wonder if the change in performance would be so drastic.

MUYA
05-24-05, 10:22 AM
Nei ho Lauwingchun
ActuallY i have an Athlon64 FX 53 and with 4X AA and 8X AF, there will situations in games like Doom III, Far Cry, Half Life2, Riddick etc that will crawl to teen levels. But thats an oranges to apple comparision?

Edit: Hmm he said he had stuttering issues...dude I suggest you serach the forums for all thread titles with "stuttering". That was a problem maybe ppl faced...especially Half Life2 for me. So search and seek out the cures (user suggested) for stuttering

lauwingchun
05-24-05, 10:34 AM
Nei ho Lauwingchun
ActuallY i have an Athlon64 FX 53 and with 4X AA and 8X AF, there will situations in games like Doom III, Far Cry, Half Life2, Riddick etc that will crawl to teen levels. But thats an oranges to apple comparision?

Nei ho MUYA
--->'oranges to apple comparison?' :confused:

in fact stuttering can be quite game dependent...i understand. and in fact i did do sth about them (like HL2, SWAT 4). but it seems if i were to have absolute smoothiness i have to sacrifice graphics quality to somewhere with medium quality...which i think is a joke for a 6800 GT... (given that AA/AF are turned off)

it is a sad thing...in fact i upgraded from a 9700 pro to 6800 gt. from the numbers:
8 pipelines --> 16 pipelines
128MB---> 256MB
and 3200 HK$ (~421 US$) i was expecting some great new experience in gaming.....yet the change is not that great in fact.

MUYA
05-24-05, 10:38 AM
When I upgraded froma 9700 pro to this 6800 Ultra was a positive one. It also depends on what IQ settings you have enabled. If you have optimizations off then they are going to kill you average fps. It is also important that if u set AA and AF settings in game then u chose "let app decide" in the NV control panel.

If you could benchmark results of the games u have like Doom III? Spinter cell or half life2 for comparitive analysis then other on this board could confirm a solution...or not..

apples to oranges meant I have a FX53 and u have a P4..so not a direct comparision

PS - I am in Hong Kong too ;)

lauwingchun
05-24-05, 11:28 AM
When I upgraded froma 9700 pro to this 6800 Ultra was a positive one. It also depends on what IQ settings you have enabled. If you have optimizations off then they are going to kill you average fps. It is also important that if u set AA and AF settings in game then u chose "let app decide" in the NV control panel.

If you could benchmark results of the games u have like Doom III? Spinter cell or half life2 for comparitive analysis then other on this board could confirm a solution...or not..

apples to oranges meant I have a FX53 and u have a P4..so not a direct comparision

PS - I am in Hong Kong too ;)

hmm....ic there should be a more quantitative analysis....
i would try to post it once it is done.
(hmm....Hong Kong rich ppl...FX53 +6800 ultra-->must have swallowed around $9000 isn't it?)

CaptNKILL
05-24-05, 12:16 PM
Playing with vsync on isn't going to help either if you're playing a CPU limited game. That's probably part of the reason you're experiencing choppiness.
Ah, I agree with this too. Vsync kills framerates. Disable it.

lauwingchun
05-24-05, 12:21 PM
Ah, I agree with this too. Vsync kills framerates. Disable it.

ah...in fact i know it kills framerates...but in my sense, no matter how low the fps in a FPS game is, the tearing is still obvious to me once VSYNC is off.

MUYA
05-25-05, 07:17 AM
hmm....ic there should be a more quantitative analysis....
i would try to post it once it is done.
(hmm....Hong Kong rich ppl...FX53 +6800 ultra-->must have swallowed around $9000 isn't it?)
RhwThe FX53 I paid for...the 6800 Ultra I reviewed it here, http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/leadtek_6800_ultra/index.shtml and was kindly provided by MikeC and nV news :)

$n][pErMan
05-25-05, 01:14 PM
I used to get stuttering in some games... ever sence I OC'ed my CPU a huge amount, all my games run smooth and without a hitch. Also at the time I got a new PSU that holds the voltages steady even under heavy load (which makes a difference). Its surely not your card.... maybe learn to OC your CPU and get the right cooling and give that a shot. Play around with drivers or look into a new PSU with higher amp ratings. All these things can help :)