PDA

View Full Version : The reason you shouldn't believe console PR hype at E3

evilchris
05-25-05, 12:54 PM
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2005/05/25/rsx_still_in_development/

GSX isn't even taped out yet, but the absolutely outlandish claims sure are. How anyone can be impressed by anything shown at E3 for PS3, is beyond me when the chip doesn't even exist yet. Vaporware.

|MaguS|
05-25-05, 01:13 PM
Yes but if you would stop reading between the lines you would have found something even more interesting out...

Burkett discussed how NVIDIA and Sony had used an upcoming product with many similar capabilities to the RSX to demonstrate the capabilities of the Playstation 3 GPU. The demos at the show were running on NVIDIA's upcoming high-end desktop part, and also SLI systems. It is unclear whether these were based on the new desktop part that we've referred to as G70 in the past, or whether they were GeForce 6800 Ultra SLI combinations.

The PS3 demo's could have been running on the next gen PC Graphics Cards...

evilchris
05-25-05, 01:15 PM
Which means nothing. I told you the GSX was vaporware, and you put on your Sony cape and came to its defense. This article proves that right now it is vaporware.

Demo's that aren't running on the ACTUAL hardware mean ZILCH.

OWA
05-25-05, 01:26 PM
Yes but if you would stop reading between the lines you would have found something even more interesting out...

The PS3 demo's could have been running on the next gen PC Graphics Cards...
Man, it'll be awesome if it turns out that it was running on the G70.

evilchris
05-25-05, 01:28 PM
Man, it'll be awesome if it turns out that it was running on the G70.

Keep in mind they're prerendered, so a Geforce2 MX could run them.

takyon369
05-25-05, 01:50 PM
It might not have taped-out yet, but the fact is, that these demoes were running on sli systems, and possibly (very likely) G70 parts, which are somewhat analagous to the RSX on paper, I do think that the RSX is a belivable soultion.

The truth is, Sony has close to a year to get this right. They have time on their hands, and so I'll just sit back and relax. I think we all know what kind of performance Ultra SLI bring, and there is no reason to think that it will be any les than that for the next gen video cards.

And yes, its called the RSX (http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_21111.html) it will be produced by SONY's own Fab.

Relax. The cards have been dealt, and Sony is holding very tight to its cards. Microsoft is due this winter, and it is much more epxosed to criticism.

Bad_Boy
05-25-05, 08:48 PM
yup ^
and steeda, im pretty sure xbox360 e3 stuff was runnin on macs.

kev13dd
05-25-05, 08:52 PM
yup ^

The difference is "running real time on macs"

Microsoft threw out what they had. They looked bad in some case, but they still put them out. They had companies downgrade the quality of their games so they could play on those macs. Would you rather have a company show us a crummy dev kit of their current progress, or renders on the progress they "plan" to make?

K

Bad_Boy
05-25-05, 08:55 PM
*sigh* why does everyone act like killzone was the only **** shown? i dont get it.

kev13dd
05-25-05, 09:23 PM
*sigh* why does everyone act like killzone was the only **** shown? i dont get it.

I'm not. I know games like UT2007 were shown in ACTUAL real time

*sigh*

Why does no one remember that not a single person could play a PS3 at E3?

K

evilchris
05-25-05, 10:25 PM

No games were shown running a PS3 because PS3 does not yet exist. It is pure hypeware at this time. Can I just run a game on my current PC and say it's emulating a super leet console that I'll be designing? lol

PS3 was a paper launch, no more no less. Forming an opinion on E3 is retarded. PS2's emotion engine simulates real human emotions too right? Keep eating the **** shoveled down your throats. I'll be laughing when the real PS3 shows up and is 1/3 what they promised. Remember how the PS2 was going to have Final Fantasy movie quality graphics in real time? LOL! They did this the last time, and you're all falling for it again.

Microsoft's press seems to be the real McCoy. It looks legit and feasable. They aren't talking about it creating "phenomenons" inside the computer like Sony. I'd call that a bug!

the Cell (which is said to specialize in floating point calculations in comparison to normal CPUs) was created to 'generate,' or, in other words, to produce virtual objects and phenomenons inside the computer."

ROFL! Who believes this crap?

The comments about how it's going to "age" SD content into HD content, even funnier. Sony's got legions of fans like magus though who believe every drop. I should send Sony an old VHS recording and ask them to convert it into 1080 HD for me. Video definition is simple: crap in, crap out. No way to turn SD into HD.

Subtestube
05-26-05, 12:41 AM
The comments about how it's going to "age" SD content into HD content, even funnier. Sony's got legions of fans like magus though who believe every drop. I should send Sony an old VHS recording and ask them to convert it into 1080 HD for me. Video definition is simple: crap in, crap out. No way to turn SD into HD.

Though I agree that the term "aging" is bollocks, I think it's a little presumptuous to suggest that you can't improve the 'quality' of upsampled video. If there's no difference between nearest neighbour sampling and Bicubic resampling, why do people bother? There are also issues like temporal sampling, and the usage of proper sinc curves for image reconstruction. Doing these things correctly ARE very intensive - I don't think it's inconceivable that Sony could've developed a background utility to do better quality upsampling and filtering than the console can do on the fly. How well it would work is of course open to a huge amount of doubt, and of course you *could* be right - it could be pure marketing spin, but you can't possibly know that yet.

While it's wholly possible that everything the PS3 is being touted to do is a cunning lie to turn people off buying the XBOX 360 on launch, it's equally possible that parts of it are true. Besides anything else - it isn't just Sony fanboys who are excited about the imminent release of the cell - a LARGE number of tech people (myself included) are also. The performance increase for vector based inherently parallel functions has the potential to be pretty amazing. Again - I'm not saying it will be, but there's certainly the chance it will. I really don't want to start a fight here, but as far as Sony and the PS3 goes - wouldn't it be better to just wait an' see? Sure - if you're right you'll be able to say "I told you so", but is that really such a great victory?

npras42
05-26-05, 07:08 AM
No games were shown running a PS3 because PS3 does not yet exist. It is pure hypeware at this time. Can I just run a game on my current PC and say it's emulating a super leet console that I'll be designing? lol

PS3 was a paper launch, no more no less. Forming an opinion on E3 is retarded. PS2's emotion engine simulates real human emotions too right? Keep eating the **** shoveled down your throats. I'll be laughing when the real PS3 shows up and is 1/3 what they promised. Remember how the PS2 was going to have Final Fantasy movie quality graphics in real time? LOL! They did this the last time, and you're all falling for it again.

Microsoft's press seems to be the real McCoy. It looks legit and feasable. They aren't talking about it creating "phenomenons" inside the computer like Sony. I'd call that a bug!

XBOX 360 was a paper launch too then as no games were actually running on XBOX 360 hardware! Fine, I agree with you that Sony are over-hyping the technology, but you have no reason to believe that XBOX games will even be of the quality they showed either, because their chips and cards are just as much 'vaporware'.

Anandtech already showed that the playable demos at E3 had XBOX360s in the front but had MACs hidden round the back.

Toss3
05-26-05, 10:04 AM
PS3 was a paper launch, no more no less. Forming an opinion on E3 is retarded.

Hmm and you aren't basing your opinion on the e3? :P You can't even say that "Microsoft's press seems to be the real McCoy" when the console doesn't yet exist! You said that yourself! I'll buy 'em both so I'm not going to take sides like *hrrmhmm* steeda *hrrrhhmm*...

|MaguS|
05-26-05, 12:26 PM
Um, The 6800 series was a HUGE leap over the FX series, not 4x the performance but easily double.

Toss3
05-26-05, 03:46 PM
I really find it hard to believe that these new chipsets will outperform Ultras in SLI, that would be a HUGE jump in performance from one generation to the next, that is saying that the processing power of a single graphics card will be 4 times greater than that of the previous generation. We haven't seen a leap like that before, I'll believe it when I see it.
Yeah, but I don't think that the g70 will outperform two 6800Ultras, but I'm quite sure the RSX will(this is only my opinion). It will work more effectivly than the 6800's in SLi.

Vagrant Zero
05-26-05, 06:24 PM
Both companies will act like companies, if you expect anything else you're a flaming idiot that needs to be removed from the gene pool.

havox
06-01-05, 04:30 AM
yup ^

They were running XBox360 on Dual G5 mac with R300 chip lol!! (vaporware as well) :P

Xbox Blogcast MP3 (http://www.majornelson.com/2005/05/20/xbox-360-vs-ps3-part-1-of-4/)

Athena
06-01-05, 03:28 PM
I really find it hard to believe that these new chipsets will outperform Ultras in SLI, that would be a HUGE jump in performance from one generation to the next, that is saying that the processing power of a single graphics card will be 4 times greater than that of the previous generation. We haven't seen a leap like that before, I'll believe it when I see it.

Try Saturn to Dreamcast :angel:

One thing I do wonder about, if all the games are HD will they even run on older TVs? I would guess they would and if that is true then most of these games will end up getting played on a standard TV. Will all that potential resolution pretty much go to waste? :confused:

evilchris
06-01-05, 03:31 PM
Try Saturn to Dreamcast :angel:

One thing I do wonder about, if all the games are HD will they even run on older TVs? I would guess they would and if that is true then most of these games will end up getting played on a standard TV. Will all that potential resolution pretty much go to waste? :confused:

Yep. It will just be in good ol' 480i for most people.

npras42
06-02-05, 08:59 PM
Well, if they have VGA cable compatibility, then that might not be entirely true. I really wouldnt mind playing XBOX360 or PS3 on my PC monitor. Others might though (thinking that consoles are taking over the PC scene or whatever other paranoid notions they have)!