PDA

View Full Version : My 6800GT Stuttering caught on cam

Pages : [1] 2

SniperKil
05-25-05, 11:52 PM
http://skgt4pics.home.comcast.net/SKHL2.wmv

my setup: athlon 64 3000+/DFI Lanparty UT NF3/1GB Pc3200 Ram/PNY Verto Geforce 6800GT

fresh windows install.. latest official nforce and geforce drivers..

can see a bunch of skips and stutters in that video.. when i get to the top of the steps.. durring some of the turns.. when im outside.. was worse in the train station..

trying to figure out what the problem is.. you can see the FPS counter is up over 3 digits through most of the video..

running it at reccomended settings.. 4xAA 8xAF everything high at 1024x768..

Rytr
05-26-05, 12:09 AM
Thanks for the video, I can see what you are talking about.
I have basically the system you have except for a 3400+ and running at 1280x1024 on an LCD. Ran the game through the same sequence at the same settings. But I could not duplicate your problem and can offer no solution, sorry.

SniperKil
05-26-05, 04:52 AM
should see it playing HL2DM.. i get 160FPS in any given map.. yet it stutters so god damn much that its not even playable

darkrider01
05-26-05, 11:28 AM
Would it be possible for you to try 1280X1024 with noAA and 8xAF? I'm not sure if your are limited resolution wise by your monitor. I think that if you drop the AntiAliasing it will stop stuttering. I run it at 1280x1024 (or 1280x720 on projector) with 16xAF and no AA and it runs great. If I bring AA into the picture, I get some hiccups. I'm only running a 6600GT though.....

|MaguS|
05-26-05, 11:41 AM
Honestly, In your video... I don't see any serious stutter. I do see a pause here and there but nothing that looks to be out of the ordinary or serious...

I run the game at 4x/8x 1280x1024 at max settings just fine and our PCs are pretty close (I have better ram and a different core CPU).

If you could post a video of HLDM with this insane stuttering that could help...

DaveW
05-26-05, 11:42 AM
Its hard to tell from the video but it looks like something very wierd is going on. Its seems like his card is still rendering all the frames, its just that occasionally it stop swapping out the frame buffer for 1/4 of a second or so. i.e. he is still moving in the game as the stutter occures.

Does switching the vsync on or off make a difference?

RpPRO
05-26-05, 11:55 AM
tried setting agp latency to 32 or 64?

Fw on / off?

jolle
05-26-05, 01:27 PM
like mentioned, tried FastWrites on and off?
Also in Rivatuner, tried checking the 2 top settings under "blitting" in Direct3d settings?
Think that solved some stuttering issues I had..
odd thing is that I didnt get them again after windows reinstall.. hmm.. never really thought about that.. maybe it was fastwrites that fixed it for me..

SniperKil
05-26-05, 08:46 PM
havent tried any of the said suggestions yet.. as i have tried them in the past and they did nothing.. but i can try them again later

http://skxlinkvid.home.comcast.net/HL2DM.wmv

my horrible hl2dm experience

SniperKil
05-31-05, 03:43 PM
bump :(

Toss3
05-31-05, 03:56 PM
actually I have the exact same problem and I really didn't see any major stuttering. I get the same stuttering in cs 1.6, even worse sometimes! I never had any problems with my 9800pro :( maybe it's the RAM and CPU? or maybe the PSU? cuz' I've tried every setting(FW, AF, AA, blitting, clamp etc.) and the only thing that seems to eliminate a little bit of the stuttering is overclocking my CPU and RAM. And even though it still stutters a little bit, it sure isn't as bad. So hope this helps, and I hope someone will find a solution to this problem cuz' I really can't afford new RAM and CPU :o

SniperKil
05-31-05, 03:59 PM
my athlon 64 3000+ and 1gb pc3200 ram should not be a problem...

im about to trade this damn card for an ATI.. as i have not had one day of enjoyable gaming experience since i paid $400 for the card in december

SniperKil
05-31-05, 05:51 PM
fastwrites off caused more stuttering then before

Ruined
05-31-05, 06:14 PM
This is the Source engine stutter bug. It affects a large number of people and non-specific hardware configurations and there is no fix for it. The problem does not lie with your hardware or setup, but rather Valve's code. Unfortunately Valve has been unable to fix the bug in their code, hence many people still get stuttering.

http://www.blep.net/hl2stutter/

Unfortunately the only fix for this bug is to wait and hope Valve releases a fix for their Source engine (unlikely since they have known about the bug for over 6 months and can't fix it to date), or to return the game. There is not even any specific piece of hardware you can point to that is causing the problem.

SniperKil
05-31-05, 10:48 PM
damn...

installed UT2004 tonight.. it has SLIGHT issues.. maybe 3 or 4 "skips" per 15 minute match.. which is very tolerable.. so it seems it is a valve issue then

OWA
06-01-05, 12:07 AM
Yeah, check this thread in the Source forum.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51285

A member here recently bought an X800XL (pci-express) after having an AGP 6800GT before. His stuttering in HL2 is worse now.

Like what was mentioned already, it almost seems random (i.e. not specific to one configuration). People with similar systems will even have different results.

SniperKil
06-01-05, 06:05 AM
sucks that alot of people (me included) were persuaded to upgrade their pc's by looking @ halflife 2.. and after all the money spent.. we cant even play the damn game

Gentle
06-01-05, 04:06 PM
Have you checked in your driver tabs to see if it is correctly identifying the bus your video card uses?

After doing a motherboard replacement, my AGP card showed up as a PCI card (not PCIe). I had done the correct driver install for the video card and the motherboard, but it came down to having to re-run the motherboard drivers and it works.

I don't know if PCIe uses a GART driver but this solved my excessive stuttering in all games.

Is there a similar driver for the PCIe bus?

Gentle

j0j081
06-02-05, 03:12 AM
I was experiencing random pauses/stutters in CS:S but a simple defrag has cured all my woes. Uninstalling the Nvidia IDE controller may have helped as well as my disks seemed a lot busier with it.

aZn_plyR
06-02-05, 08:53 PM
hmmmm I thought this thread was like a few months ago until I saw the date..lol...you guys still getting stuttering? lol...

well I fixed it..I sold my 6800 ultra and bought an x800xt and all teh stuttering went away..! freaking nvidia suckass... :thumbdwn:

LOL :p I am just kiding you guys :) I still have my 6800 ultra and it is running pretty darn well in HL2....I dont get any stuttering anymore...very very rare...I had some when the game was first released..but these patches they released totally fixed them for me..veyr nice and smooth....

O and my system is....

a64 3200+ @ 2.3ghz @ 1.7vcore...
6800 ultra @ stock running off a 20amps antec fartpower psu...480w truepower-II coming with 36 amps on 12v :) heheheheh
1 gig OCZ ram..@ 3500+ speeds...2-3-3-11 (11 gave better performance than 5)

forceware= XG's 71.89's (BEST DRIVER EVER)

OWA
06-03-05, 12:28 AM
It seems to be fixed for me as well although I haven't played through all the levels. I also use the ghost mode a lot so I'm not sure if that affects things or not.

Nutty
06-03-05, 08:49 AM
If turning fast-writes off causes stuttering to be worse, it sounds like its thrashing data across the PCIe/AGP bus, i.e. using too much VRAM. Personally dont have the issue in CS:S, but then I play at 800x600 res with no AA or AF ;)

SniperKil
06-09-05, 07:32 PM
still have major problems.. get lots of stuttering in UT2004 onslaught mode (none in deathmatch) and lots in GTA:SA :(

Treason
06-10-05, 02:10 PM
still have major problems.. get lots of stuttering in UT2004 onslaught mode (none in deathmatch) and lots in GTA:SA :(

Have you tried an OpenGL game?

SniperKil
06-13-05, 12:13 AM
just tried doom 3... same stuttering...

heres the deal.. i went over my boys house.. who has a GB of the same ram i have.. put one of the sticks in so i had 1.5gb ram.. dident help...

hooked up his powersupply which is much better and more powerful on the 12v line then mine... dident help

so where do i go from here.. this sucks