PDA

View Full Version : Problems with 6800GT not spinning down!

ren1010
05-27-05, 01:59 PM
Good day to everyone,

I just bought a pci-e evga 6800gt and found that the fun is too annoyingly loud when in 3d mode. So i spend the extra cash and bought myself a artic cooling silencer 5 rev.2 to lower temps and decrease noise.

The new cooler lowered temps and the noise a bit. But again when it goes to 3d mode or any temps over 70 degrees the loud whirring comes back. and it takes forever to spin down again after i played some half life 2 deathmatch!

My 2d mode temps are around 60 degrees celcius it goes up to around 71 degrees in 3d mode.

Do u guys have any advice for me? I love my card but its just too loud sometimes. Does it really take that long to have the fan spin down again. heard from the other messages that i could plug the video card fan straight to the power supply.

Thx for any input :(

J-Mag
05-27-05, 03:44 PM
Do u guys have any advice for me? I love my card but its just too loud sometimes. Does it really take that long to have the fan spin down again. heard from the other messages that i could plug the video card fan straight to the power supply.

So you have created a perpetual motion machine, eh? :p

Anyway, it is deinfaltey possible to hook up the cooler's Fan to the PSU directly (and you could just run it off the 5v which would make it silent). It will be a pain b/c I can bet that there is no way you will be able to find an adapter, so you will need to strip the wires and crimp your own pins and molex housing onto them.

However, there is a reason that the Fan is spinning as such... You will sacrifice stability and possibly image quality (artifacts can appear when overheating) if you want it to run at low speed and high temps...

The best bet for a quiet solution is to watercool the sucker, IMO.

ricercar
05-27-05, 06:40 PM
My Artic Cooling Silencer 4 is far worse than the stock 5900 fan it replaced. The NV Silencer controls the RPMs with PWM instead of lower voltage, and PWM creates an audible whine. Way Sux0rz.

NemesisChild
05-27-05, 07:04 PM
Good day to everyone,

I just bought a pci-e evga 6800gt and found that the fun is too annoyingly loud when in 3d mode. So i spend the extra cash and bought myself a artic cooling silencer 5 rev.2 to lower temps and decrease noise.

The new cooler lowered temps and the noise a bit. But again when it goes to 3d mode or any temps over 70 degrees the loud whirring comes back. and it takes forever to spin down again after i played some half life 2 deathmatch!

My 2d mode temps are around 60 degrees celcius it goes up to around 71 degrees in 3d mode.

Thx for any input :(

I highly recommend connecting your NV5 fan directly to your PSU.
I was forced to do so because the NV5 fan adapter did not fit on my Leadtech GT board.
You can easily connect the NV5 fan adapter to a 3-pin/molex splitter.
My NV5 runs silent, I have never noticed any "throttling" with it!

ViN86
05-27-05, 07:55 PM
not to be negative, but heres how i always think. better to have a little extra noise than a crispy card. or a card that dies in a couple months. ;)

Eltigre88
07-30-05, 10:34 AM
not to be negative, but heres how i always think. better to have a little extra noise than a crispy card. or a card that dies in a couple months. ;)

I agree with VIN on this one. I just installed my NV5 Silencer on my 6800GT and I can't here it at all. It does not spin up when gaming, that I can here.