PDA

View Full Version : A RAM-brick "fell off" my card - will it work?

Pages : [1] 2

GeeZuZz
05-27-05, 11:16 PM
Does someone know if a card will still work, even though one of the RAM-bricks is missing? With less memory of course?

I don't have the ability to test my self right now, but whats your guess?

And btw, are there any hope on remounting the brick?

jAkUp
05-27-05, 11:28 PM
Yea its done. I doubt it will work since the circuits are no longer complete, and remounting it is almost impossible without proper surface mounting equipment.

GeeZuZz
05-28-05, 12:22 AM
Hmm... i don't have any experience soldering such advanced stuff... :(

But it's a shame that the 6800Ultra is just laying there because of a chip that is not mounted :(

Gentle
05-28-05, 05:17 AM
How did it "fall off" ?

Gentle

saturnotaku
05-28-05, 07:34 AM
My guess? Hasty attempt to rip off a stock heatsink took one of the memory modules with it.

Chippo
05-28-05, 11:16 AM
Of course it will work. They are only for decoration. In fact you can chisel a few more off. Or whack it with a hammer to squish it down a bit. It will still work, trust me.

What a pillock.

Chip

Kamel
05-28-05, 11:35 AM
well, i'm not as harsh as chippo, but he's right. it wont work. i've personally removed ram chips from a card (using a hammer), and indeed it no longer worked afterwards, heh. it was designed to work with all of its ramsinks, so when it tries to write to it (or even check for its presense during post for that matter), it will fail.

might not be a bad idea though, to be able to disable half of the ram or something. i know this would probably revive a lot of dead cards, or make it easier for you to tell if a particular piece of ram is killing your overclock.

Roadhog
05-28-05, 12:03 PM
lol... that sucks man... how did it "Fall Off"???

GeeZuZz
05-29-05, 11:19 AM
I mounted the heatsinks with thermal glue. When i was about to replace the heatsinks i got a problem... they weren't supposed to be that stuck... :(

The annoying thing is that the ram brick was easy to remove from the heatsink AFTER it was off the board :P

jAkUp
05-29-05, 11:23 AM
Yipes, usually rather than yanking the heatsinks off, you could put the card in a anti static bag, then in a freezer bag, and leave it in the freezer, it should come off after you take it out :)

GeeZuZz
05-29-05, 11:28 AM
Yipes, usually rather than yanking the heatsinks off, you could put the card in a anti static bag, then in a freezer bag, and leave it in the freezer, it should come off after you take it out :)
Not when you're in a hurry!!!

Dude, why didn't you tell me that BEFORE i broke it? :p

Pandora's Box
05-29-05, 12:04 PM
Not when you're in a hurry!!!

Dude, why didn't you tell me that BEFORE i broke it? :p

because you didnt think before doing something stupid.

Cinema4DXL
05-29-05, 12:04 PM
this is why you never rush anything with pcs or modding

Roadhog
05-29-05, 12:14 PM
nothing a little super glue and duct tape cant fix

$n][pErMan
05-29-05, 12:19 PM
Well hopefully the 30 minutes or so you saved rushing was worth $400+ of your video card.... (owned) :lol:

superklye
05-29-05, 12:38 PM
Hmm...you aren't friends with the guy that started the thread about getting semen on his 6800U card, are you? Like, you and him weren't tag-teaming some poor 6800U and then things got a bit too rough...were you?

XP_GUN
05-29-05, 12:52 PM
Hey when you RMA the card just put the ram back on the card under the heat sink and say that when you opened it up and installed it, it didnít work, donít even mention the RAM, and act like you donít know s*** about computer and just followed there instructions ;)

ViN86
05-29-05, 01:00 PM
yea it wont work, physical addressing space is physically not there, heh.

Chippo
05-29-05, 01:06 PM
yea it wont work, physical addressing space is physically not there, heh.

Of course it will work. Have you never heard of "virtual memory"? Hehehhehehehee. LOL

Chip

Pandora's Box
05-29-05, 03:09 PM
Hey when you RMA the card just put the ram back on the card under the heat sink and say that when you opened it up and installed it, it didnít work, donít even mention the RAM, and act like you donít know s*** about computer and just followed there instructions ;)

:mad:

XP_GUN
05-29-05, 03:57 PM
^ well its true sorry to say :D I was playing around along time ago with my geforce 4 and needed like he was doing taking off "my" ram sticks and scrached off some of the pathways on the card and knew that I was screwed, so I told pny that it just stoped working and dident know why it wasent booting up and they sent me a replacement, the only one that I have ever done, I learned my lession and yeah this was when I was starting to learn ;)

rohit
05-29-05, 04:01 PM
Hey this should work. Try it.
Dont waste sumthing worth 450USD

XP_GUN
05-29-05, 04:07 PM
You also might need to see what they can do for you if you cant get a replacment, like ask them how much it might cost if they could fix it.

Pandora's Box
05-29-05, 07:47 PM
^ well its true sorry to say :D I was playing around along time ago with my geforce 4 and needed like he was doing taking off "my" ram sticks and scrached off some of the pathways on the card and knew that I was screwed, so I told pny that it just stoped working and dident know why it wasent booting up and they sent me a replacement, the only one that I have ever done, I learned my lession and yeah this was when I was starting to learn ;)

tempting to send you the bill for my next graphics card.

|MaguS|
05-29-05, 08:04 PM
He voided the warrenty so he should take responsibilty. Sure it sucks and your out the money but dont be a dishonest prick and rip the company off.