PDA

View Full Version : How to take off stock HS/Fan off of 6800GT?

pooface
05-28-05, 01:03 AM
I've got a MSI 6800GT PCI-e, I want to put on a zalman vf700-cu, but I don't know how to take the stock cooling off. I took off all the screws I saw off the back, but it still seemed stuck and I didnt wana try and force it off (unless thats what I gott do...)

I'm honestly not even sure whether I should bother, as the msi heatsink is copper and my temps are actually pretty decent, about 54 C idle and 68c load (doom3). The biggest reason why I wanted the zalman was to reduce the noise, but hopefully it doesnt bring up the temps.

$n][pErMan
05-28-05, 01:58 AM
Someone else could probably show you a picture of what im talking about. But i know on the HSF part.. beside the screws... you also have pins to have to take out. You just "squeeze" together a part of the pin on the one side of the pin (ussually this part of the pins is on the top of that card.. pointing toward the CPU) so it fits back through the hole and then take it out :)

jAkUp
05-28-05, 01:59 AM
You should get even lower temps with the Zalman... I've been considering picking up a pair of those... was a little leary of the passive heatsinks, but from what I hear, GDDR3 ram runs pretty cool :)

$n][pErMan
05-28-05, 02:02 AM
You should get even lower temps with the Zalman... I've been considering picking up a pair of those... was a little leary of the passive heatsinks, but from what I hear, GDDR3 ram runs pretty cool :)
I think you would be surprised ... that zalman probably sucks a lot of air past the memory sinks. At least.. my Zalman I have on my CPU... sucks a lot of air past my passive heatsink on my northbridge. No need for a fan thanks to the huge zalman CPU fan :) So im assuming it works much the same for the GPU.

jAkUp
05-28-05, 02:17 AM
Yea I guess your right, that fan is huge :D

pooface
05-28-05, 05:46 PM
Yeah I still cant figure it out. This is the exact card I got http://www.newegg.com/Product/Showimage.asp?Mode=&Type=&Image=14-127-158-08.jpg%2C14-127-158-09.jpg%2C14-127-158-10.jpg%2C14-127-158-05.jpg%2C14-127-158-06.jpg%2C14-127-158-11.jpg&CurImage=14-127-158-10.jpg&Description=MSI+NX6800GT-T2D256E+Geforce+6800GT+256MB+GDDR3+PCI-Express+x16+Video+Card+-+Retail

I took out all the big obvious screws on the back, didnt see any on the front, and it stilled seemed stuck. There were pins I saw on the back that were all the way on the side of the power connecter but they were holding something completely seperatee from the actual HS/F onto the card.

Acid Rain
05-28-05, 06:20 PM
was a little leary of the passive heatsinks, They are far from passive. The Zalman blows so much air onto the card, the ramsinks should be considered active-cooled.

pooface
05-28-05, 08:33 PM
Any1 know? :(

pooface
05-29-05, 04:46 PM
bumpz

Clay
05-29-05, 04:57 PM
I illustrated how to do this with a 6800 Ultra which would be very similar to the 6800GT.

Click image below for larger image.

http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/arctic_cooler_nv5_silencer/images/steps.jpg (http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/arctic_cooler_nv5_silencer/images/steps_large.jpg)

Or, you can read more where I covered all of this in my NV 5 Silencer review (http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/arctic_cooler_nv5_silencer/index.shtml).

pooface
05-30-05, 01:21 PM
the screws on my card are not in the same place as that one.

BTW- do you spread the thermal grease on the gpu as soon as you put it on there (and if so with what), or do you just put a dot in the center and rotate the new heatsink on it once its attached to spread it?

Clay
05-30-05, 01:33 PM
right, yours is PCI-E so there are differences, this was just to give you a general idea. I only use the dot ("rice grain") method for CPUs (which works great). For GPUs I spread it with my finger inside of a plastic bag, then I go back over it with a razor blade.

pooface
05-30-05, 01:46 PM

pooface
05-30-05, 03:34 PM
Yeah I took the card out again and I still cant figure it out.

There are 3 very little black screws under the fan blades, but I couldnt seem to unscrew them with anything, and after looking in between the heatsink and the card I'm 99% sure those screws dont hold the whole heatsink to the card anyway.

The screws on the back of the card are screwed to screws coming from the front of the card. So when I take off the screws from the back, the tips from the front screws are revealed. I hope I'm not making this confusing heh =/

Anyway, I'm not sure if I'm missing any screws, or if I'm suppose to forcefully push the screws that jut out the back of the card through the front.

All I can say is, after I take all the screws from the back off, the heatsink does not seemed to have loosened up AT ALL. I'm 99.999% sure I could leave all those screws off + the backplate and run the card like that, because the heatsink doesnt not budge at all (not willing to take the pointless risk though because if something did happen, no computer for the summer, at least).

There's gotta be someone here with the same card that has taken the heatsink off...

Here are more shots of the card that seem to be clearer then neweggs

http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.cfm?page=2&articleid=677&cid=2

Acid Rain
05-30-05, 04:05 PM
Not sure what to tell you. On my BFG GT, all that was needed was to remove that black backplate and it's four screws, then the whole assembly came right off. The thermal compound on the GPU is an actual paste and the ram had thermal pads over them which were very loosely connected (probably not even doing anything but insulate the ram and making it hotter!). It was incredibly easy to remove the assembly.

On yours, it's possible that they use a thermal pad or ceramic on the GPU and/or ram, which is holding the hsf tightly to it, whether the screws are in or not. From past experience, thermal pads can make removal a chore. My Ti4600 was this way.

If you take a small nail or something to push the screws all they way out, you may be able to carefully but firmly twist the hsf back and forth, little by little till the thing is loose enough to pop off.

This is much preferred to pulling it straight up off the board, as pulling straight up when pads/ceramic are holding tight can rip the copper traces right off the board. This would be bad.

If this doesn't work, I'd leave it on, tighten it back down properly, and forget about it. You can quiet your pc down in other ways.

Good luck. :)

Unwinder
06-01-05, 09:06 AM
That's thermal pads. I had the same troubles with removing AGP NX6800's cooling system (which is similar to PCIE's one).