PDA

View Full Version : High Quality vs Quality?

pooface
05-29-05, 05:30 PM
Just wondering if there is a big difference between these 2 for the 6800gt cards.

I was not able to notice a difference in image quality between the 2 in ut2004, but a big difference in performance.

On ONS-Dawn, when I would be on top of a mountain looking over the mid, having HQ and 8x AA would drop my fps to about 30, with Q and 8X AA it would be about 80.

So just wondering what exatcly HQ does..

OWA
05-29-05, 05:35 PM
High quality mode disables all the optimizations. If you don't notice a difference, use quality mode.

Clay
05-29-05, 05:36 PM
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50441&highlight=quality+%22high+quality%22

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31535&highlight=Anisotropic+filtering

pooface
05-29-05, 05:47 PM
Sorry i searched i never saw that thread though heh :P

1 more q, trying to do a profile for ut2004. When I select AF and check the box to the left of it, uncheck application controlled, and set the slider to 4x, and hit apply, it goes back to application controlled. =/

einstein_314
05-29-05, 06:26 PM

1 more q, trying to do a profile for ut2004. When I select AF and check the box to the left of it, uncheck application controlled, and set the slider to 4x, and hit apply, it goes back to application controlled. =/

Use this program for making profiles. nHancer (http://www.nhancer.com/) . It is awesome.

$n][pErMan
05-30-05, 02:46 AM
Odd .. I notice a huge difference in UT2004 between quality and High Quality. As a matter of fact... I never use anything but High Quality and everything runs fine. On a 6800GT as you have ... everything should play a look great in HQ :)

jAkUp
05-30-05, 02:58 AM
I use quality on everything :)

$n][pErMan
05-30-05, 01:16 PM
I use quality on everything :)With duel Ultras?!?! That should be a crime... :eek:

SH64
05-30-05, 03:32 PM
[pErMan']With duel Ultras?!?! That should be a crime... :eek:

Believe me even on dual ultras some games are still running slow if you enable HQ while playing @1600x1200,4xAA,8xAF .. take FarCry as an exmaple & other games for other reasons like thier poor coding/optimizations.
& for games that are not SLI supported .. the case is even worse.

$n][pErMan
05-30-05, 08:10 PM
Believe me even on dual ultras some games are still running slow if you enable HQ while playing @1600x1200,4xAA,8xAF .. take FarCry as an exmaple & other games for other reasons like thier poor coding/optimizations.
& for games that are not SLI supported .. the case is even worse.
Ahh .. at 1600x1200 maybe. I run everything at 1280x1024 4xAA / 16xAF because im using a 17in monitor. And I hardly ever notice a slowdown... and if I do .. its more than playable. Maybe if I could run 1600x1200 id notice a slowdown :)

jAkUp
05-31-05, 12:00 AM
Yea I run everything at 1600x1200... for me the small boost in image quality is not worth the 10+ FPS that it deducts... heh

SLippe
05-31-05, 02:02 AM
I run everything at 1024x768 on High Quality @ 4xAA/8xAF. I used to run some games at 1280x1024, not real sure why I stopped though! LOL

Acid Rain
05-31-05, 04:27 PM

1 more q, trying to do a profile for ut2004. When I select AF and check the box to the left of it, uncheck application controlled, and set the slider to 4x, and hit apply, it goes back to application controlled. =/After you apply it, you'll notice that it then shows you the global settings. Just hit O.K. When you open the window again, it will show the last profile you were working on, and it will show that the settings you adjusted have indeed stayed the way you wanted them. While you are in there, just click "modify profile" then click save. Click "OK" on the "save the current settings as" window, and the settings will forever be saved. Done.

Oh, and when you want to set up another profile, you need to select the global profile first. Then the add profile tab comes back. You'll possibly notice that some profiles provided by nVidia do not allow you to change certain items. This is good. It's NV protecting you from running incompatible settings.

For instance, the Halo profile has the antialiasing box checked and it's forced at application controlled. This is so you cannot try and run antialiasing. Halo does not support antialiasing, like, at all. If it's forced, it yields some pretty meaty graphical anomalies, I hear. It's good that NV protects you from funkeh games in some cases.

Alternately, use Nhancer. People say it's good. I haven't tried it as I like to limit my use of third party tweakage. I'm a P.C. clean freak :)